It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 11:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
New Worm 
King

Post New Worm
Link

Quote:
AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - A new computer worm emerged on Tuesday which broke the speed record from the announcement of a security vulnerability in Microsoft's Internet Explorer to a full-blown virus that spreads in the wild.

The vulnerability was discovered and made public by two hackers with aliases "ned" and "SkyLined" on Friday, and only four days later a worm exploiting the weakness was developed and set loose, several virus-trackers reported.

Microsoft said the worm is a variant of MyDoom and that it was investigating the threat the worm poses.

Some anti-virus companies said the new worm was different from MyDoom because it spreads via weblinks and not e-mail attachments.

"People will receive an e-mail saying that their PayPal account has been credited or that they are invited to watch a webcam. When they click on the link, just by viewing a site it executes code and infects the computer," said technical consultant Graham Cluley at Sophos Anti-Virus.

Microsoft was expected to issue its monthly batch of security patches later on Tuesday, but the company could not immediately say if a patch for the new worm would be part of it.

However, the U.S. software giant said that consumers who had installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP (news - web sites) were at a reduced risk.

The weakness in Internet Explorer is known as the IFRAME buffer overflow vulnerability.

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Seems like it still needs some big deal of stupidity to get people infected with this virus.
But there are so many ignorant internet users that I don't doubt it'll spread like fire.

Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:16 pm
Minor Diety

Sometimes i think its good that we have regular geek hackers. They keep general computer and internet security up-to-date from any serious hacking threats. Like any Al Quaeda 1337 haX0rZ.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:37 am
Felix Rex

lol...goat herder hax0r. With a laptop and a T1 uplink from his cave in the middle of the Afghan mountains.

however, I agree. A hacker is a good thing. You don't know the strengths and weaknesses of something until you test the limits. Without the hacker mentality, our systems would not be as robust as they are. Not that windows is very robust, but bleh, that's what happens with monopolies.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

However...I cant help but feel i need to pummel the shit out of hackers.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:21 am
Felix Rex

there is the tv/news hacker, which is basically the black-hat bastard that likes to r00t boxes and either crash them, erase them, deface websites, or steal data.

Then there is the white hat/gray hat who likes to explore systems, hack their own or they friends boxes (but usually not an unsuspecting 3rd party) and does no damage, nor steals data (usually). These people push O/S (and other) limits without intentionally violating the law (usually).

The prior version should be beat down.

The latter version is integral to software and hardware development and should be respected. Though the gray-hats can go either way.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:24 am
Profile WWW
King

Hacking is breaking and entering. You dont break into peoples homes, you dont break into peoples computers. There should be a law carries the same punshiment in hacking as breaking and entering or worse.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:57 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

well, that assumes the blackhat hacking. Hacking has other meanings as well, though not to the general public. In my arena, a 'hacker' is just someone that knows their shit and pushes technical limits. A cracker is someone that breaks the law and intrudes on other peoples' boxen. I am a hacker. I am not a cracker. Respect my authority or I'll erase your credit history. :p

but anyway, it's just semantics. I think we agree on the overall principle. People that 'hack' (common definition) should be punished.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

*r00ts Satis' box* But what I really meant to ask was: is 'boxen' the plural of box? Or just a fantasy based on ox? Somehow I always thought the plural was boxes. Enlighten me, ye ole native speaker.

- Coach

Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:38 am
Minor Diety

Some people say that if you remove the illegality from hacking, people will stop doing it. I say bullshit.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:10 am
Felix Rex

I agree, bullshit. People will always do it. Though the number of people doing it may be reduced. Alot of people do it for bragging rights or fame or whatever. Script kiddies. lol

Boxen == hacker speak for boxes. Box = computer, boxen = computers, boxes = stuff you keep your crap in. :)

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]