It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
a minor rant, because my job sucks 
Felix Rex

Post a minor rant, because my job sucks
This is a rant to make myself feel better. Ignore me if you will.

Being the resident Unix expert sucks. Especially since I'm really not an expert on Unix, except compared to everyone else in the office. A 'true' Unix admin would scoff at my lightweight skills, but in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

login: root
password: ******

#ps -ef | grep the_customer
#kill -9 777
#rm -rf /

And, it sucks when you develop a 'tool' for the use of your coworkers to make their lives easier...and, since you developed this tool, now you're called in to 'consult' every time the tool is used. Because, y'know, they can't run a batch file alone and fill out the prompts, alone. Even though, before, they were perfectly capable of copying 20+ files manually and running 5+ sql queries manually. Now that it's all automated in a batch file, of course they need your help every freakin' time.

c:\update.bat
please enter sql server name: suckit
please enter sql server password: hard

checking files:
*file list omitted for sanity*
copying files:
*copying omitted for sanity*
running sql updates:
*output omitted for sanity*

press any key to examine the log files

not that hard.

or how about the following email (paraphrased for the morons)

customer:
Can you tell us how to install your software on Windows 2003 server?

me:
We do not support windows2003 server. Our software has not been tested against it. You can try to use it, and it will probably work, but we don't provide any support at this time.

customer:
We're having some problems getting it working on Windows 2003 server. Can we set up a time to conference call on it so we can discuss the issues with myself, my board of directors, all my end users and my wife?

me:
We can set up a conference call if you like, but we don't support windows 2003. Our software has not been tested in a Windows 2003 environment. We can conference about it and I can tell you, your extended family, and Osama bin Ladin that we don't support your environment, but it's kind of pointless.

customer:
ok, let's set up a conference call so we can get it working on windows 2003. Please let me know when you're available.

me:
We DO NOT SUPPORT Windows 2003.

customer:
When can we have a conference call?

me:
Why the fuck do you want a conference call? So you can be 30 minutes late so I can spend 30 seconds telling you WE DON'T SUPPORT WINDOWS 2003? And then you can spend 30 more minutes discussing with your gay lover that WE DON'T SUPPORT WINDOWS 2003, while you keep me on the phone, repeating that WE DON'T SUPPORT WINDOWS 2003!?

......rant ended. My job sucks because people are stupid...

Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Duke

ROFL. That's great. I haven't had to deal with anyone that stupid, thank god.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:17 am
Profile YIM WWW
Minor Diety

I had a go at logging onto some kind of UNIX thingy at uni. I got frustrated at how much a primitive and badly designed piece of shit it is.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:27 am
Duke

Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Felix Rex

lol, Pig.

I'm not gonna go into it, but Unix is the best thing since sliced cheese. I wish MS would emulate it. Or, even better, I wish everyone would pick up Linux so I don't have to deal with MS any more.

A true, preemptive, multi-user, multitasking environment with excellent memory management, excellent disk management, a robust file system (that, btw, never gets fragmented), true security, ever utility under the sun built right into it.... the only things it has going against it is a lack of userfriendliness. I'm still learning it.

Anyway....maybe my boss reads these forums. Last night, about 1.5 hrs before I went home (which was, btw, about 1.5hrs worth of overtime) I got shuttled into my boss's boss's boss's office and handed a raise. :) I still hate my job, but now I'm being paid more to do it

*whisper*none of my coworkers have gotten raises in years (some ever) and I just got one after being here 10 months*/whisper*

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:14 am
Profile WWW
King

Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:33 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Duke

A raise because your boss reads these forums? Riiiight... We all know your boss reading these forums would only hasten your departure.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Felix Rex

heheh...more than likely. Especially if he read the part about me calling a customer a fucking moron...and the customer overhearing me. :)

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

LOL@ customer. I bet he's happy he was on the other side of the line, instead of standing next to you. Congrats on the raise...does that mean we'll all get presents now? *buttmaster 3000!*

- Coach

Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:00 am
Felix Rex

you get your present about the time I get my beer, ya bastard.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:17 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]