It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Alaska voting on legalizing the herb 
King

Post Alaska voting on legalizing the herb
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=6675259

Quote:
By Yereth Rosen

ANCHORAGE (Reuters) - Voters in Alaska will decide on Tuesday whether to make their state the first in the country to legalize the sale, possession or use of marijuana by adults.

Alaska already allows legal possession of small amounts of marijuana by adults, the most liberal policy among the 50 U.S. states, thanks to a 1975 state Supreme Court ruling.

"Our territory and now state has traditionally been the home of people who prize their individuality and who have chosen to settle or to continue living here in order to achieve a measure of control over their own lifestyles which is now virtually unattainable in many of our sister states," the oft-quoted ruling said.

Supporters say further decriminalizing pot would allow local governments and the state to regulate and tax it and free up police to pursue serious crimes.

"This is a very broad initiative that says, instead of the prohibition model, let's try the regulation model," said David Finkelstein, a former state Democratic lawmaker helping to organize the initiative campaign for Tuesday's election.

Opponents of the measure argue full legalization would be a step backward for Alaska, a state of about 650,000 people, which has an extremely high rate of substance abuse, including the use of marijuana by youths.

Tuesday's initiative will be the third in six years asking Alaska voters about marijuana policy. In 1998, voters approved a ballot measure legalizing medical marijuana, but two years later they rejected one that would have legalized the drug and mandated financial restitution for people convicted in the past of marijuana offenses.

Alaska's initiative is one of three marijuana questions on ballots across the country. In Oregon, voters are being asked to expand allowable medical marijuana use, and voters in Montana will decide whether to become the 10th state to legalize its medical use.

Pro-initiative groups said no opinion polls had been taken on the measure. But if the initiative passes, Alaska's Legislature will be responsible for defining how to regulate marijuana, in the same way the state decides on alcohol restrictions. After the 1975 ruling, the Legislature defined a "small amount" of marijuana as 4 ounces (114 grams).

With financial backing from the Marijuana Policy Project, a group funded partly by billionaire philanthropist George Soros, the initiative group has used television advertisements and mailings to emphasize Alaskans' love for personal freedoms.

Initiative opponents fume at the idea marijuana use has anything to do with Alaskan individuality, although they admit the argument is powerful.

"In Alaska, fiction has always won out over fact," said Matt Fagnani, president of an Anchorage drug-testing company and chairman of a group called Alaskans Against the Legalization of Marijuana and Hemp.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:50 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

W00t! I always figured Alaska would be a cool place to live. Apart from this because of the few ppl living there, and the lack of sunshine/warmth to keep other ppl away. I've said it before and I'll say it again: a cabin in the woods with internet is optimal. Derf made a masterful paint-work about my cabin the woods iirc, including fuck-monkey.

Anyhoo, you for or against this (potential) measure 11b?

- Coach

Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:46 pm
King

For, I am pro-weed. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. More deaths occur from cigarettes and alcohol. The herbage is pretty much harmless and it helps AIDS victims maintain their appetite. I lived in Alaska for 3 years while I was in the Army. Good place to live.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:42 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Lol @ "After the 1975 ruling, the Legislature defined a "small amount" of marijuana as 4 ounces (114 grams)"

Compare this to Belgium where you are (or were since the law got withdrawn because it was too vague) allowed to have 5 grams .. small amount they call that. You can't even put 100 grams in your pockets, you need a bag for that.
Anyway, Go Alaska WOOO !!

It's strange imo that in one country you have so many different laws, according to the state you're in. At one place it's legal to have 100 grams of marijuana, some 100 kilometres further it might get you in jail for a few years.
Ah well, you guys re-elected Bush (seems like he's going to win), congratulations on that i guess.

Buh an hour ago it was "Bush is gonna win" .. now it's like we don't know yet, Ohio is gonna decide. Make up your mind people. Anyway Bush seems close to victory.

~King of Thieves~

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:14 am
Minor Diety

Btw i noticed that the majority in Alaska voted for Bush, who is obviously an über-conservative guy. How do you stroke that with this liberal policy? They say they value their individuality etc., how does that go with the "patriot act" (i mean the surveillance thing by the governement, which is actually a diminishing of liberties). I'm not criticising or something, i'm just surprised that the most liberal state votes for the conservative guy.

Or am i seeing this wrong?

~King of Thieves~

Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:59 am
Minor Diety

The US has a very weird relation between individualism and state; and strange conceptions about liberalism (as you'll have noticed by now). It does make sense in a strange way, but it's really complicated. :( But yes, it is strange that the same ppl who fear of 'liberals' supressing their individuality vote for the Bush administration and his partriot act-ish policy. :) I'm off, gonna miss my bus.

- Coach

Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:29 am
Felix Rex

Liberals here aren't like liberals over there. liberals here pass laws to 'make us all free', which just really restricts our freedom and squelches our individuality. As odd as it might seem, people that don't like government control and heavy-handed laws have to vote conservative here.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hehe...methinks that's any government's purpose. :)

In the end the US is a very different political system, sometimes hard to grasp for someone used to the Western-European one. It's kinda funny too that the system originally was put up as an alternative to democracy...because the popular vote would threaten individuality. Which in turn had its impact on the way parties and elections work, heh.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=041104

Funny comic...it's even funnier if you follow the storyline and all. King Steve is just a side-character really, but a funny one.

- Coach

Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]