It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
So I go to the DMV yesterday... 
Minor Diety

Luckily cycling drunk isn't forbidden. :P

Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:23 pm
Minor Diety

Maybe that's different in the netherlands, but it is forbidden here, i guess it's the same with you guys, only that you don't really pay attention to it. Actually being drunk is forbidden when you're on public ground ('openbare dronkenschap') although in practice you won't get arrested or fined that fast.

But someone i've been in class had serieus misfortune with that: he was very drunk and accidently turned with his bicycle onto a highway (funny thing is it happened to me as well once on the same place), he realised his mistake and turned back. Unfortunately a police car came his way, so he decided to dive into the bushes on the side, he was spotted however and got several fines for trying to escape from the cops (vluchtmisdrijf), driving on a road he wasn't allowed to and driving under influence. I believe even a social worker came to his house to see if the situation at home was normal :shock:

So at least in belgium you're not allowed to ride a bike when you're drunk.

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:32 pm
Minor Diety

Well, being drunk in public is forbidden here too, but it's only applied to people who cause danger or annoyance to their environment, like the example you gave or people making a lot of noise on the street at night.
If the police would start fining all drunk people in the street our budget deficit will be under the EU 3% norm. :roll:

Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:40 pm
Duke

Our legal limit is much higher than some countries, but the penalties are more severe. I don't drink so I'm not much of an expert.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Felix Rex

It differs state by state, but in Texas at least the penalties for drinking and driving are pretty harsh.

this is from a law site. DWI = "driving while intoxicated".

A first offense DWI is a class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in a county jail and a fine of up to $2,000. A second offense DWI is a class A misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in a county jail and a fine of up to $4,000. A third or subsequent offense DWI is a third degree felony punishable by from two to ten years in the State penitentiary and a fine of up to $10,000. Causing serious bodily injury as a result of driving while intoxicated (intoxication assault) is a third degree felony punishable by from two to ten years in the State penitentiary and a fine of up to $10,000. Causing death as a result of driving while intoxicated (intoxication manslaughter) is a second degree felony punishable by from two to twenty years in the State penitentiary and a fine of up to $10,000. There are various other potential enhancements depending on whether there was an open container and a person's criminal conviction record. Probation is available for most misdemeanor DWI offenses. In some instances jail time is mandatory as a condition of probation. Driver's license suspension can range from 90 days to two years.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Well the problem is that people who took there test 40 years ago over here, and have no lost their eye sight and mental stability, can still use that same liscence.

A neighbour of mine is a classic example, and here's 3 scenarios, 2 of which i was involved in, that she has caused.

Firstly, She had to drive a Jag once. (don't know why) But for some reason, she mistook the accelerater for the brake pad, and slammed her foot down coming up to a round about. She landed neatly on top of the roundabout. With a very broken Jag.

Second (I was involved) me and some of my brothers friends were going bowling for his birthday, my dad had pulled out, but had gone to talk to her, and so left the car on the drive outside my house (a little turning bay thing) anyway, she was parked at the side of this bay, and as she came out of her house, she would have been facing right at my dads car pretty much, so she couldn't have missed it. Low and behold, 20 seconds later she backed up in to my dad's care.

third (same night) I'm in her car on the way home. on the way out of the bowling alley, she nearly crashes in to a wall head on, then thirty seconds down the road she's driving in the wrong lane.

I've also been told about her pulling out on to busy roads, despite there being other cars comming. This was bad enough in her old Astra, then she got a nice new Chrysler Neon... I've not been in that car much, odd that.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Neon? *shiver* That is a ghetto car. I didn't realize it was a Chrysler, though...but, bah, whatever.

I agree..I think after a certain age, everyone should be required to take tests again. Some fool in California drove into a street that was blocked off for a farmer's market and mowed down a bunch of people with his car. Just kept driving down the road, running people over. Result? Nothing. Bastards. A single Columbine shooting and they're passing all kinds of law. Old people kills lots of people because he's mentally incompetent...no result.

http://www.waxy.org/archive/2003/07/16/santa_mo.shtml

Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Count

oh oh, don't forget the old guy who ran down like 13 people at his church thinking he was in reverse. Like several little kids and shit. The moral is don't go to church cause there is no god to protect you.... muhahaha :)

Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:57 pm
Duke

Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Minor Diety

Haha!

Well, being drunk in public is forbidden here too, but it's only applied to people who cause danger or annoyance to their environment, like the example you gave or people making a lot of noise on the street at night.
If the police would start fining all drunk people in the street our budget deficit will be under the EU 3% norm. :roll:

Hehe, true, if that law was followed up strictly, you'd see strange things, and lose a lot of money.

And it's true about old people, they can be a real menace. Although not all of them are the same of course, but a test or something could pick out the bad apples. It's prolly a stereotype, but if i'm stuck behind a car driving 65 instead of the allowed 90, you can bet it's some old dude with a typical old-guy-hat. Sundays are worst, then they suddenly all come out and visit the family, church, whatever. Overall i'm a very patient driver though.

~King of Thieves~

Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:44 am
King

oh oh, don't forget the old guy who ran down like 13 people at his church thinking he was in reverse. Like several little kids and shit. The moral is don't go to church cause there is no god to protect you.... muhahaha

Quote:
Or maybe God is just a sick fuck.

Or, maybe your all idots!
What about the lady that ran over a little girl and pinned her to the wall because a 2 liter of coke feel out of her grocery bag and got stuck behind the brake so she couldnt stop. I guess I shouldnt go shopping either because the carry out kid doesnt know how to load groceries in your car.

Quote:
I don't drink so I'm not much of an expert.

Yea, drinking makes you drunk. Its been confirmed.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:44 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

car? whats a car? im probably the only punk here thatdoesnt know how to drive...Except maybe....Myrddin?

Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:26 am
Minor Diety

No, you're not. :) Well, that is to say: I know how to drive and have done it in the past, i just don't have a driver's license. I figured it'd be stupid to get a license and pay for it when i can't afford a car/insurance anyhoo. (it's illegal to drive around without insurance here, don't know about other countries. Plus, new drivers (and very old ones :twisted: ) typically have higher insurance fees. So either your parents pay the fee or you put the car to their name (well, if their bonus-malus isn't skyrocketing heh) or you work your ass off for a long time in a student job, in order to get to drive around in car that works on gas that, unlike in the US, isn't cheap and thus making it even more unaffordable. Erh, nevermind the rant, i don't have a car, ty very much.

2nd-hand car that works decently: 1700 €(=$)
+
insurance (per year): 500€
+
gas money (with a very normal mileage for a student): 750€
+
taxes (per year): 150€
=
3100€ or $ :/

bus pas for an entire year for every line in Flanders: 160€
+
bike= 0€
=
160€ or $

I don't think that needs explaining. :)

Oh and 11Bravo, why don't you explain the eternal question why the Good Lord allows so many fucked up things to happen then? heh. The world is fucked up and funny.

- Coach

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:49 am
Minor Diety

There are positive sides on having a license (but no car) as well:

- the written part is getting harder appearantly, although it should still be a piece of cake for people with average intelligence or above (like you 8-) )

- you can still drive another guy's car, you never know what it's good for or when you're needed: medical emergency, driver is too drunk to drive, pick someone up somewhere, switch with driver if he gets tired (like when driving to spain on holiday)

- now you have (maybe had) time to get your license, if you start working it will be harder to make time.

- i hate public transportation (and they hate me too)

Btw i don't have my own car and don't have any expenses for it, although i drive in one, Peugeot 405 from 8 years old or something, but that's another different story. Let's say you (or in this case my dad) need some connections and need to know the tricks (he's an accountant). But i guess i'm an exception, lucky me.
(nelson-voice:) Haha!

~King of Thieves~

Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next