It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Bookworms unite !! 
King

I'll read it when I have more time to devote to it. I'm not much of a fan of poetry either. Still, some of poetry is really good.

Neither am I, I decided to start reading tacitus the today, it is very interesting so far. Galba got assasinated, Otho seized power, this is within the first 40 pages including the intro!

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:43 am
Minor Diety

Man i hate public libraries. Well i don`t hate them, i just hate those slow readers that constantly are reading the same series as i am but appearantly read a LOT slower. And since they always the have books i still have to read i`m not advancing very much. First time i went to the library the 6th book of the Death Gate cycle wasn`t there. Next time i went back it still wasn`t there so i took the 5th with me and took 3 other books (De roos van de Profeet). Now it finally appeared. I wonder how long it will take before i get my hands on the last one. :roll:

I really like the Weis & Hickman books, now i also took with the first Robert Jordan Wheel of Time book (but i noticed the 2th wasn`t there as well so if i like it i`m prolly stuck again). And to my big surprise i found Minority Report, by Philip K. Dick. Haven`t seen the movie yet so i thought: why not.

I also saw a book (in english) from Stephen King from the series `The Dark Tower`, i read the first book once and i thought: need to read this further. So that`s another 4 books on my list now as well.
Lot of reading to do ..

~King of Thieves~

Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:30 am
Minor Diety

hehe, i got myself a love-hate relationship with libraries to. I obviously love the fact that they're stocked with books, but i don't like a few things about them

->usually my village library doesn't carry much of the books i like :/
->less usually but still frequently; NO libaries in the whole of Flanders carry certain books i like, which means i gotta order over the net. :/³
->i hate it that i gotta be quiet.
->i'm t3 1337 suck at finding the things i need in a library.
->i hate their fines...i'm one of those ppl you hate J, that hogs books hehehe. Last year must have cost me twenty, thrityfold my yearly memberfee in fines :/(not an exaggeration)

hehe...yes, i'm still studying literature :roll:

I hope you'll like the PKD book, haven't read Minority report, only saw the movie (which was pretty damn good). :)

- Coach

Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:48 pm
Minor Diety

I noticed that the only catalogue thing from the local library here works, and i found out they even have 2 PKD books :o , don`t remember the 2th book though, not something i ever heard of before.

Don`t mind the fact you got to be quiet though, just go in find some books that look good (although i understand what you mean about having troubles finding stuff) and take them with me. I`m prolly the opposite in returning stuff: i always go a week too early because i`m out of books :P

btw do you know if leuven or some other big library has an online catalogue? Not that i need it now, still got tons of books on my list.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:04 pm
Minor Diety

Hehe...the reason why i dislike being quiet is cos i'm often in libraries to look stuff up for school (or at least, make an attempt to), and i'm always asking ppl i know for help. Which apparently irritates some ppl who then go whine to the librarians cos they're too wuss to tell me. :/

But there are fun parts; once librarians took a hike, and me and a mate were playing a flash game on one of the pc's there. He was working the "kick/punch/shoot" buttons and i was working the movement arrows, which ended up pretty quickly in us both just slamming all buttons with the palm of our hands on a super-duper tempo, thus making one heck of an irritating noise mixed with moronic laughter. :) There were some 10 nerds sitting around, working in the library during the lunh break, all looking very annoyed but not one telling us to stop.

I mean, what kinda losers are they? They get better grades than us, most likely; but if you're too afraid to tell two morons to be quiet, you're SO gonna get (ab)used in the big bad world. Erh...what was i saying again?

Ah yeah, i got a great link J:

http://www.bib.vlaanderen.be/servlet/be ... andardroot

It's the entire catalogue of all libraries in Flanders :D You can find the leuven library there, but universatary and public library. I suppose your g/f's still studying so you can crash the uni library, right? :)

- Coach

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:54 pm
Minor Diety

Nah she's not studying anymore (she's already working for 3 years now), some people just get through their studies without losing a lot of years appearantly :lol:

But i know someone who works for the uni now, she could get me some books prolly if i need them.

And you're 200 % correct about those pussies, reminds me of a lot of my former classmates.

~King of Thieves~

Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:23 am
Minor Diety

To my big surprise, the Minority Report book is actually a bunch of stories. So the whole minority report story was about 60 pages far and it was finished .. didn`t expect that to happen. Next story in the book is `war games`, see how that will turn out, at least i know i`m ready short stories now :P

~King of Thieves~

Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:00 am
King

Thing that might be interesting is this site, http://www.lgfl.net/lgfl/leas/brent/sch ... itandcrit/ This is something for under 21s to comment on literature. Thought people such as Pev might be interested

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:58 pm
Minor Diety

[quote="Dark Archer"]Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time (currently reading this, I like it, not finished yet, about 12 books with about 1000 pages each) [quote]

I'm digging up a very old topic here, but i'd like to agree with Dark Archer here, i really love these books, just finished book 3, they're absolutely great. Thx for the tip man.

Also got a Tom Clancy book, but i was wondering if anyone knows if you should read them in order or if you just pick one out and start reading. Dunno if you get the background on Jack Ryan in the earlier books and not in the later books or not.
Got "The Cardinal of the Kremlin" now btw, it's an early one but not the first (that would be the hunt for the red october)

~King of Thieves~

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:29 am
King

how many books are in the wheel of time so far. I've read the first 10.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:09 am
Minor Diety

aw that sucks, my library only has the first 9 :(

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:57 am
Marquis

Also got a Tom Clancy book, but i was wondering if anyone knows if you should read them in order or if you just pick one out and start reading. Dunno if you get the background on Jack Ryan in the earlier books and not in the later books or not.
Got "The Cardinal of the Kremlin" now btw, it's an early one but not the first (that would be the hunt for the red october)

Yeah if you read them in order that they were written you do learn a lot about Jack Ryan...i.e. you follow his carrer in a lot of the books

but that said, it shouldn't make too much difference. All i can say is that executive orders took me like a year to read...most books are finished within a week or two...that's how bad it really was

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:24 pm
Minor Diety

"The moon is a harsh mistress"

by Robert A. Heinlein

One of the best books i've read in a looooong time. :o

- Coach

Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:52 pm
Knight

Hey, Ox can I borrow the second discworld book off you some time? I read about 30 pages and I want more! :(

Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:20 am
Minor Diety

Ok, but Bart (Dirckx) has them (my complete two discworld books :roll: !) atm, so you'd better hope he'll finish them quickly. :)

- Coach

Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next