It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Bookworms unite !! 
Minor Diety

Post Bookworms unite !!
Blah needed a title for the topic.

Anyone can recommendate a good series of books? Fantasy preferably.

Oh and there are a couple of books can`t remember the title, it`s about a guy with runes on his hands, he also has a special dog. There is also another race of wizards or such .. something with flying airships and mirrors to other parts of the planet or something. also something with a labyrinth, think some guys name was drogo maybe?? does this ring a bell?

~King of Thieves~

Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:14 pm
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
thats easy. any of the forgotten realms novels, the books by R.A.Salvatore (the drizzt sagas), Elaine Cunningham (the harper series), and Ed Greenwood (the Elminster series, esp Elminster in hell).

or the dragonlance series by weis and hickman

another good series is by an author called Joel Rosenberg. its basically about a group of roleplaying students who actually get magically transported into the very campaign setting as a real world. What makes it most interesting is that a disabled man becomes a dwarf and can walk for the first time and the fact that they bring modern engineering to a fantasy world (guns, explosives, etc). a very good series of books. :D

no idea who you were on about though :?

Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:47 pm
Minor Diety

The Death Gate Cycle - Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

that`s the one i was talking about. should pay a visit to the library again. thing is that in the translation a part of the magic sometimes gets lost, so i should read it in english. but i doubt they have it in english. blah.

~King of Thieves~

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:20 pm
Minor Diety

Post Re: Bookworms unite !!
Return of the J wrote:
Oh and there are a couple of books can`t remember the title, it`s about a guy with runes on his hands, he also has a special dog. There is also another race of wizards or such .. something with flying airships and mirrors to other parts of the planet or something. also something with a labyrinth, think some guys name was drogo maybe?? does this ring a bell?

It rings a bell yeah, to my latest trip. :roll:

Anyways...it's not fantasy, but if you don't mind reading in english read the Valis-trilogy by Philip Dick

-Valis
-The Divine Invasion
-The Transmigration of Timothy Archer

And even less fantasy....read "crime and punishment" by Dostojevski..if there's one book that'll drag you into a mind/plot it's that one. My fav of all time. :)

- Coach

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:30 pm
Minor Diety

Don`t mind reading english, just dunno what the library can offer. We`ll see wether i`m not too lazy to actually go there and browse through the books.

~King of Thieves~

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:42 pm
Minor Diety

About any library will have Crime and Punishment, but mind, the Dutch versions have two different titles: "Schuld en Boete" en "Misdaad en Straf".

I'd take the Dutch translation of Crime and Punishment, since the English versions are translations themselves anyhoo. But for books that were originally written in English i'd recommend to read the English versions.

Oh, and you're not gonna find much Philip Dick books in the local libraries. :/ Leuven uni library is about the best place i can think of. :(

- Coach

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:49 pm
Knight

Well, some of the Pratchett books are rather good/hilarious, but actually after Tolkien, I never read a lot of fantasy. I agree with Ox on Crime and Punishment. For the Dutchspeaking members I would also like to promote Louis Paul Boon.
Other cool stuff includes Iain Pears (Instance of the fingerpost, Dream of Scipio) Hari Kunzru, The Impressionist and Malcolm Lowry, UNder the Volcano. Although I'd like to warn you for that last book. It can be hell.

Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:01 am
Minor Diety

Im going to say something really obvious and stupid:

Lord of the Rings?

Something less obvious:

Books of Lost Tales.

Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:37 am
Minor Diety

Just read LOTR (like i said in another topic), but i might go to leuven uni library maybe, my gf lives in leuven so .. might have to send her to fetch me some books.

~King of Thieves~

Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:17 am
King

Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock. The best saga I have ever read. You will not be disappointed. I think the series is like 5-8 books. Truely awesome.

Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:02 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Just read LOTR (like i said in another topic)

Then you're ready for the Silmarillion, his greatest book IMO.

Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:26 am
King

Well, some of the Pratchett books are rather good/hilarious, but actually after Tolkien, I never read a lot of fantasy. I agree with Ox on Crime and Punishment. For the Dutchspeaking members I would also like to promote Louis Paul Boon.
Other cool stuff includes Iain Pears (Instance of the fingerpost, Dream of Scipio) Hari Kunzru, The Impressionist and Malcolm Lowry, UNder the Volcano. Although I'd like to warn you for that last book. It can be hell.

Another Pratchett fan! Me and Pev will like that. More books are the Thomas Covenant books that I always recommend, Gormenghast, Wheel of Time, that will keep you busy, and the Terry Goodkind books theSword of Truth ones

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:39 am
Seigneurial Lord

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time (currently reading this, I like it, not finished yet, about 12 books with about 1000 pages each)

George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire (No magic here, a few magical creatures, but the rest is quite realistic. 3 books are released atm. btw book 3 is split in book 3A and 3B. Don't ask me why. Don't have a clue)

Have read more, some already listed here, some not that impressive. I really like the Martin ones... I've never seen so many.... ah well, not telling, it would spoil the fun :roll:

All hail to the Creature Profile Writer!

Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol yeah i was gonna say Pratchett if you're after Fantasy. Ask ox, i got him to like them. I read some Phillip K Dick too, very good. and like Myr says, Gormenghast trilogy!

Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:29 am
Profile WWW
King

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time (currently reading this, I like it, not finished yet, about 12 books with about 1000 pages each)

George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire (No magic here, a few magical creatures, but the rest is quite realistic. 3 books are released atm. btw book 3 is split in book 3A and 3B. Don't ask me why. Don't have a clue)

Have read more, some already listed here, some not that impressive. I really like the Martin ones... I've never seen so many.... ah well, not telling, it would spoil the fun :roll:

Damn I can't seem to get the George RR Martin ones round my area can only get the first one which I've got at home. and thanks Pev for agreeing with me. it's a change to have soooo many people agreeing with me on the forum. :P

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next