It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
spelling 
Felix Rex

finally researching the spell check stuff. Sorry. :) Check this out:

http://www.iespell.com/

browser plugin for IE that does spell check. Thought it was interesting. Just thought I'd share. I'll post more when I finalize which spell check mod to use.

Thu May 15, 2003 3:09 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

uh-oh. I think a spell check is not going to work. *test*

Thu May 15, 2003 3:54 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

ok, no spell check. Reason? The dictionary is kept as a MySQL database. So? I have a 120,000 word dictionary. So? That's 120,000 queries anytime someone uses the spellcheck. So? I have a limit of 35,000 queries per hour, per database user. With Piggie's help (and originally some other people) that equals 105,000 queries per hour. That's one spell check, per hour, or the forum shuts down.

Short of it, no spell check. Unless someone can find one that doesn't use a database to hold the words. Except that anything residing in, say, a PHP file, would just end up being real slow, I'm sure. Anyway, sorry. :/

Last edited by Satis on Thu May 15, 2003 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 15, 2003 4:04 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Thu May 15, 2003 4:09 am
Felix Rex

if noone's interested in finding a replacement and pursueing the spell check mod some more, fine. I'll look into an attachment. BTW, I used phpspell, the only Piglet suggested. I actually inadvertantly stumbled onto the dev thread for it, and ended up at the same place Pig posted. Chances of that, eh?

Thu May 15, 2003 4:11 am
Profile WWW
Duke

Are you quite certain about that? That would be terrible design. The proper way would be to just do one query, and get the entire table into an array. I'd be very surprised if they really do it that way.

Thu May 15, 2003 6:12 am
Profile YIM WWW
Felix Rex

well, everything crapped out after I did a test spell check. "max_questions" limit exceeded. I can't think of anything else that would do that. There wasn't much traffic on the site...nowhere near as much as the hour directly afterward. All it could've been is something relating to the spell check. I may be wrong on the specifics (so sue me) but I very definetely linked it to spell check. Did spell check. Submitted post. Post succesfully submitted. Click for forum index... critical error, max_questions exceeded. I mean, if you can think of something else, I'm all ears. :)

Thu May 15, 2003 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Duke

I actually inadvertantly stumbled onto the dev thread for it, and ended up at the same place Pig posted
--eh? I don't recall posting anything more than that the link in here... What'chu talking about

Let me take a look at the code, and get back with you.

Thu May 15, 2003 6:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
Felix Rex

sho nuff. What I meant is I was googling for other spell checkers...ran into a development thread on a message board. Followed that to ANOTHER thread, followed a link in THAT....to the page you initially posted. Just funny like that, G.

Thu May 15, 2003 6:28 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

So, have you looked into the attatchment mod already?

Tue May 20, 2003 2:08 pm
Felix Rex

erm, a bit. And then shelved it. I've decided on the mod I'm going to use, but it's gonna be alot of work installing it so I've kinda just put it off. I'm not going to make any promises. :) I've got several projects going right now that're keeping me quite busy (not just what you know about).

Tue May 20, 2003 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2