It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
What is DRM? 
Post What is DRM?
What is DRM? Is it something I need or I shouldn't even think about getting?

Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:49 am
Minor Diety

The only DRM I know is Digital Rights Managment, a way for the entertainment industry to protect their stuff from you copying it, or even playing it on something else then their devices.
So my advice is to stay away from it.

UNLESS off course you're talking about something else with the same acronym, but I don't think that's likely.

Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:05 am
Felix Rex

yes. That's basically correct. DRM is technically the ability of someone to control the copying/distribution of copyrighted digital media. This is mainly movies and music, but could also apply to softare, games, or Pig's mom.

When it comes down to it, DRM basically takes away your control of your own computer. You are no longer able to do what you want to on your computer. This will doubtlessly include backing up software/music/movies (thereby destroying fair use) and may end up keeping you from doing anything that a software company won't let you do.

If/when DRM starts going for real, I will never EVER buy a machine with DRM. EVER. If this means I'm stuck with XP 3200+ processors when 6ghz is the standard, so be it. Personally, I think they're going to do some test marketing before they try to go mainstream, and there are enough people aware of the implications that the tests are going to go sour. Hopefully, DRM will be a bad idea that just quietly fades into oblivion.

Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]