It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 2:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Grr!!! 
Minor Diety

Post Grr!!!
Suddenly, Windows Xp found it a nice treat to make shorcuts to files when I drag files somewhere, instead of moving files somewhere like it should.
How do I fix this?

Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:13 am
King

When you drag and drop them use your left mouse button not your right one.

Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:19 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Doesn't work, in some folders, Windows makes shortcuts when I drag wit left, when I drag with right mouse button Windows asks what to do with "Create shortcuts here" as default in the folders that make shortcuts with left mouse button.

And another problem, I have a cd-rom drive that doesn't want to open, but does play the disk inside. The disk currently inside is the Windows 98 SE install disk, and I want to replace it with the Windows 2000 install disk, in order to replace 98 with 2000 on that machine (98 never worked well there).
Is there a way to open the cd-rom drive manually? Pressing the eject button on the drive doesn't work, demanding eject drive from windows doesn't work and Windows refuses to reboot in MS DOS mode (what's worse, the floppy drive seems to be broken too).

Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:38 am
Felix Rex

You're screwed about the cd-rom. Try prying the bitch open with a screwdriver or something. 11b my have a more elegant solution. As far as the dropping, this is the way it's supposed to work.

Drag and drop an executable (.exe, .com) is create a shortcut.
Drag and drop a regular file on a single drive does a move.
Drag and drop a regular file across drives (or computers) does a copy.

Right-click and drag will give you the menu where you can select what you want to do with the file, thereby kinda overring the default. As far as permanently fixing it... I'm not sure where you would do that. I assume it's probably in the file-types area, but I don't know.

Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I always fucking drop all kinds of shit everywhere! How come I never noticed that? Anyway, is there some registry thing to change the default? I never create goddamn shortcuts anyway.

I think the cd-rom drive thingy might be a Windows issue, as I said that installation of win 98 is a load of crap.
So maybe I'll break open the other pc and attach the faulty cd-rom drive on that one, but that's more work then I wanted. If only I could just swap those two windows cd's inside the drive, or at least get into MS DOS mode on that pc. :roll:

Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:23 am
Minor Diety

Sticking a paper clip into the hole on the drive opened it, 2000 is now installing. 8-)

Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:12 am
Felix Rex

lol. Christ. Well, I'm happy for you, I guess.

Next, I suggest you learn how to properly use Windows and quit blaming the O/S for your problems. :-P

Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

But then I'll have to find a new hobby. :(

Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:04 am
Felix Rex

I dunno, write viruses or something. Isn't that what your Euros are good at anyway? Well, besides doing drugs, of course. :roll:

Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Writing viri is more something for people from the Philipines. Doing drugs is bad, so I guess I'm off trading it.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]