It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Defragmenting fat32 system on XP 
Minor Diety

Post Defragmenting fat32 system on XP
I've got Windows XP with FAT32 instead of NFTS, but I hate the defragmenter included in XP. Now I was wondering, since XP is meant to use NFTS, it probably uses a defragmenter made for NFTS. Are there good FAT32 defragmenters what work on Windows XP?

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:09 am
Felix Rex

IF you have access to a 98 box, you can copy its defrag over to yours. Not that its defrag is worth a shit.

Norton sells one with Norton Utilities. I'm pretty sure it does fat32.

Dunno of anything else. You can do some googling and tell us your results. :twisted:

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Googling doesn't really work. I have win 98 somewhere, I'll use the defrag from there, it can't be more shit then the XP one.

And I'm gonna move this thread to the right place, dunno why I placed it here.

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:34 am
King

2000 and Xp have the best Defragmenters. I suggest getting on Kazza and downloading Partion Magic and convert your fat32 drive to NTFS

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:50 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

yea, I'm with 11b. No need to run fat32 in today's world. NTFS is superior in every way.

here's a step-by-step on how to do it without 'acquiring' commercial software.

http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.a ... ialsID=643

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hm my parents will probably start screaming about backing up the whole fucking computer in case something gets lost... is ther any risk of ruining the hard disc or it's contents?

Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:37 pm
Felix Rex

there's always a risk. :) But there's a risk every time you boot the computer, or browse to a web site, or install a new program. If Microsoft included the utility, it probably won't destroy your drive. Otherwise they wouldn't include it for fear of litigation. It's one thing to have the O/S crash, it's another entirely to fry the disk contents.

Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
King

A word to the wise. ALWAYS! Partion your hard drive into at least 2 partions. ie: C and D. Unless you have 2 hard drives. Put all your games, downloads, etc on your D partion. That way if windows corrupts you only have to format your C partion and your downloads and games remain untouched.

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:52 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

I have two partitions, one with windows and documents (my parents and sister are too lazy to use other dirs on D), but I can transfer those to D. However, I can't transfer my mp3 collection to my C or burn it on cd's, it's just too much (about 17 GB), and if I'm gonna change my HD into NFTS I want to change both.
Another thing... the reason why I have FAT32 is because Windows didn't want to install NFTS for some reason.

Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:52 pm
Felix Rex

I can think of no reason why it wouldn't let you use NTFS. I've seen the reverse, where it won't let you use FAT32 because the partition is bigger than 32 gigs or whatever.

BTW, I had partitioning. I never partition my drives. Of course, I have a DVD burner, a CD burner, and 4 computers on my network... if I need to backup, I either burn the stuff or just transfer it to another computer on the network temporarily. Same effect, no partitions.

oh, and I have a 20GB mp3 collection that I backed up on CD-ROM, so you have no excuse. Sure, it takes days and days of burning one CD after another, but it's doable. And once you do it, you don't have to worry about a HD crash or virus or something wiping the whole thing out.

I have a DVD burner now. :twisted: I could back up my whole collection on just 5 discs!

Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:48 pm
Minor Diety

- Coach

Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:56 pm
Felix Rex

$170, but I have a $30 mail-in rebate too. So basically $140 once I get around to sending in that rebate. :P

It's paid for itself already. :roll:

Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:24 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

sweet price. :) And i can imagine it does (pay for itself)...just a few minutes ago i was obliged to stop downloading por...erh, pictures of flowers for the evening, as my HD had only 250mb left. :/ :(

And to think i gotta unrar a 600mb file as well soon, someplace. Maybe i should cut a bit in my collection. :roll:

EDIT: "CRC failed in 19.rar, 20.rar and 23.rar" RAAAHAAAAAAAGAGGHHHH *nukes computer*

- Coach

Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:36 pm
Felix Rex

Which is why I'm a bit torrent (l)user now. No more CRC errors (at least, not yet).

Don't you at least have a CD burner you can offload your po....err...flower pictures on?

Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next