It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
yet another processor question... 
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
Post yet another processor question...
my mobo fits a p4 1.5ghz, looked on some sites and they seem to think thats its a socket 423 (sound right?), if this is the case then a 3 gig socket 427 won't fit, right?

any body got an idea, no a clue what the mobo is, don't really wanna get a new one. :?

damn pc world...

Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:34 am
Minor Diety

*joins in damning PC world* Friggin prices are through the roof!

any hoo. From what I can remember (which aint much) the socket you are currently on, is what I was on. the socket that you mentioned is a "Slot A"

and yeah, if what I think is right, it won't fit and a new MOBO is the only way to go. Just one thing - Mine was a huge pain in the ass to install.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

anyone else got any idea?

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:05 pm
Felix Rex

first, intel sucks.

second... if your chip is currently in a socket %insert_word_here% and you want to put it in a socket %different_word_here% it's not going to work.

ie...

"My car says it uses unleaded fuel. Will it run on diesel?" No.

"This store says it only takes euros. Can I use American dollars?" No.

"My ass says that poop comes out of it. Will I shit flowers tonight?" No.

And installing cpus is NOT hard. :evil: Someday I'll get around to making that stupid computer building tutorial.

Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

interesting examples there satis...besides, moles probs with his mobo installation were probably a warning sign not to attempt this damn internet business *sigh*

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:59 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

the problem is that i really didn't want to go into that much expense/bother of a new mobo, etc. in an ideal world what i wanted to do = old shit cpu out, new quick as fuck proessor in. now i'm stuck with the prospect of:

1)new mobo, and as i have to do this i may as well give an athlon cpu..
2)getting a whole new case as knowing PC world the damn thing is to small..
3)also having to get a new power supply, as now a sapphire 9800 pro has dropped to £185 i was going to get one, but as it needs hooking to power supply the stinking pc world psu is probably going to raise the white flag and die..
4)all the damn hassle of, if i remember correctly some one said that when changing a mobo, etc its best to format and just reinstall windows, etc, which means backing up about 10+ cd's of crap..
5)i'm on kind of a 'budget' of how much i'm gonna get away with spending and itprobably won't go that far for all of the above :roll:

bah, i'm fucked of with the whole scope of it... :(

i'm in a shit mood today :evil:

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:12 pm
Felix Rex

heh. Yep. You're pretty much on the money. I don't think you'll need a new case. And depending on your PSU, you might not need a new one of those. But yea, if you're gonna upgrade processors, you'd probably be bettered served to get a new mobo as well. Plus processor.

However, that's not all that expensive (at least in the US). You can get ok motherboard plus processor combos for ~ $70 for the two. That's really not very expensive.

Of course, you might need new RAM, too, if your current machine is using that Rambus shit.

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Well over here, my ABIT NF7-M mobo was £85, and my CPU was £60 (AMD Athlon 2600XP)

so yeah, it's jacked up prices over here.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
King

first, intel sucks.

BS they do. I only do Intel. Ill have to dig up that video of the AMD catching on fire. I have never had any problems with any Intel products....AMD's on the other hand I have replaced many. I used to work for a computer company in Beaumont, I now work for a lawfirm and a computer gaming lan center. All the processors at my law frim are AMD and guess what.... I have had to replace over 50% of them because they suck and die. People keep coming into the Lan center with there computer that wont turn on.....burned out Amd's.

BTW Heres a review of AMD's 64 vs P4. It barely bets a regular P4. http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040106/index.html

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:47 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Isn't Intel way more expensive in general? :/

- Coach

Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:27 pm
Felix Rex

Yes, Intel is more expensive. I would like to counter your arguments some, 11b.

First, this is from the article you posted, the conclusions section (I read it a couple days ago, actually).

"Two things should be considered here, however: for one, the big "64 bit" unknown remains a non-factor and for another, the benchmarks in which the Athlon64 shines are significant. In practically all of the gaming benchmarks, the 3400+ is able to beat its archrival Pentium 4 - sometimes soundly. X2, Warcraft III, Unreal Tournament 2003, Splinter Cell, Serious Sam, Gunmetal, Comanche and Aqua Mark: the Pentium 4 has to concede victory in all of them."

AMD is also the first to bring 64 bit to the desktop (Intel recently changed its stance on that, of course).

Every computer I've ever built was with AMD processors. I've only had one computer blow up on me, and that's probably because it was a K6-2/450 with absolutely 0 case cooling. Not a single case fan, and it still lasted 3 years.

I've seen the burning CPU video, and the Pentium certainly handles catastrophic cooling failures better. But that's not a function of the processor, it's a function of the motherboard. You could still blame AMD for not making reference boards or whatever with that feature, but I think it's a bit of a stretch.

And lastly, competition is a good thing. I don't think AMD should beat Intel to death and become the NEXT Intel. I think the two should continue their neck-in-neck race for the rest of time.

Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
King

Aaa yes, here is the article I was looking for. And this isnt even a 64 bit chip. Just a Xeon with more cache. http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030923/index.html

Quote:
Thanks to its ideal configuration and use of the best components, the P4 3.2 in the Extreme Edition (actually a Xeon labeled 'P4') wins the performance crown. Its former gaming weakness against the Athlon 64 has been ironed out by the 2 MB L3 cache. The AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 is only marginally slower. Especially with 3D games, both the 1 MB L2 cache as well as the fast memory access (HyperTransport) help it decisively beat competitor Intel P4 3.2 (standard edition).

I agree on the competition Satis. Amd helps keep Intel chips lower priced and in my buying range. :) Not only that AMD does have a factory in Austin. I used to drive by it everyday on my way to work.

Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:33 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Emperor

changed my mode now, gonna get a mobo and 2600+, can get both for about the cost of a 3 gig intel. just have to get some decent ram..

oh, another brain dead question, if your mobo is 400 mhz fsb and the cpu is 333 mhz, do you have to fuck with the bios to make it match or can you just leave it alone?

Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:08 am
Felix Rex

You shouldn't have to do anything strange, I don't believe. Motherboards are quite good at autosensing chip speeds and such nowadays.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:23 am
Profile WWW
King

If the motherboard is able to understand 333mhz. You do know that a AMD 2600+ isnt a 2.6 gig processor right? So of course a 2600+ AMD and a motherboard are going to be cheaper than 3 gig Intel. I mean a P III 600 mhz is cheaper than a 2600+ its like compareing apples to oranges.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:36 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next