It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
quick question 
Minor Diety

Post quick question
K, a small question: how do i adjust the DPMI of my windows XP "dos box"?

- Coach

Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:05 pm
Felix Rex

"adjust" the dpmi? WTF have you been smoking?

DPMI = Dos Protected Mode Interface

You can't 'adjust' your DPMI. DPMI is usually what a program would invoke when executing in DOS. Since dos was a 'real-mode' O/S, programs would invoke their own version of protected-mode for various reasons. Thus, DPMI. You CAN'T adjust it.

Or, at least, be more specific.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

heh...the reason i asked was cos some old DOS games ask for a DPMI with (relatively) high memory, and WinXp etc. seem to have midget memory in their DPMI mode, at least i always get a message saying there ain't enough.

So, what i wanted to know was if there was a way to tune it up. And apparently the answer is NO. :)

- Coach

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:37 pm
Felix Rex

ah, no, you just asked the question wrong.

You asked if you could adjust DPMI. No.

What you meant to ask was can you increase the memory given to a dos box. Yes.

How do you get to dos?

Well, it doesn't matter. Make a shortcut to go to DOS. Put it on your desktop or something. You need a shortcut because you have to adjust its properties.

Right click on it, go to properties, and root around in there. Somewhere should be settings for memory and stuff.

Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Mmm, i kinda figured it was kinda weird to have "dos" in my winXP (referring to the "command prompt"), so it's prolly pretty impossible. Blah.

Tried doing what you said, as well as other searches for options and settings with that, but never found an option to adjust the memory.

Bah, i'll just use the other pc with good ol' "i can (practically) run all games" win98SE. :)

Have the weirdest things going on btw:

1)every other half hour or so, microsoft.com automatically opens a browser window. And on top of their homepage a small window asking me to certify my windows and whatnot. I'll look in the registry for it.

2)In windows explorer i have under "My Network Places" an FTP (?!) called ftp.playerofgames.com . Since this obviously isn't my own ftp i'm currently wondering if a) my pc is being used as an ftp :roll: or b)somehow someone set that specific ftp as "favorite-ish" ftp of mine. (not me, for one)

So: am i (or rather; my pc) being abused by ppl 1337er than me? :D Oh, and the files that are being hosted are patches, add-ons, demoes, etc.

Damn man, there are some very, VERY strange things going on around here (or; around me). Not just this on the pc; but other things that i just can't think of a logical solution for. To the point that i'm wondering if some things i did myself have been totally blacked out, somehow. Ffs. :evil:

- Coach

Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:32 pm
Felix Rex

err....might wanna scan yourself for virii/spyware and shizat. Err...jeez man, how do you people get yourselves into these situations?

My advice...Format and reinstall windows. It's the only way to be sure. :twisted:

Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Heh...on the one hand i figure "with all the shady internet shit i'm doing it was rather inevitable to get hacked", but on the other it seems a bit unreal. But i don't have a virusscanner nor a firewall so it's not unlikely lol. :roll:

And i'm sure I'm not the one gtting myself into these situations, but the bastards that i allow to use MY pc with MY admin account. :evil: They should be kissing my feet ffs.

I might just go and do that anyhoo. (format+reinstall)

- Coach

Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:37 pm
Minor Diety

You won't get hacked if you have a firewall.

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:24 pm
Minor Diety

i would still get hacked if they really wanted to; but i don't think there's anyone with a reason to actually make an effort to fuck me up, not even in the dodgier places.

And i hate firewalls..."do you really want to open this?!" have to click yes every friggin time; mayeb it's me and my net-visits,; but still.

- Coach

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:53 pm
Minor Diety

Hm with Sygate I only have to answer the question "do you want this program or dll to contact the internet" the first time it trys to connect, then he'll remember. It already twice blocked a set of DoS attacks and zillions of port scans. I don't know what those morons want from me, but every time it gets out of hand I sent an e-mail to their ISP and it stops.

Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]