It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
php question (pig) 
Emperor

Pig, is there some way to set some background sound AND to keep it (wout stopping) when user goes to the other page who belongs to my presentation AND to stop it when user close the last window who show my presentation?

BTW, I have some comments about webhead.cc but I shall post it later.

Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

couldn't you make a 1pixel frame and put the code in that? That way the frame never changes (thus the music never stops). That's how I'd do it.

Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:00 am
Profile WWW
Duke

I agree with Satis; the frame technique is the best route. I've actually done this one, and I think you can do it with a 0px frame (though it's been awhile - I could be remembering wrong).

I welcome any feedback.

Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:07 am
Profile YIM WWW
Emperor

Oh, sorry. That was veague, from my side. Actually, is there way to avoid any framework? I garbaged my former presentation because of frames (and design), so I do not want to back there.

Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Duke

The only way I can think of would be to use javascript to create a pop-UNDER, and have that page have the music.

Just put a link to a javascript pop up like normal, and then on the new page give it a blur() for the onLoad.

Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Duke

Here is an example of a site that uses audio and frames. It's pretty standard method.

(thanks to satis for the link)
http://www.stalker-game.com/index_eng.html

Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Emperor

The only way I can think of would be to use javascript to create a pop-UNDER, and have that page have the music.

Just put a link to a javascript pop up like normal, and then on the new page give it a blur() for the onLoad.
Disagree except this window can be absolutely invisible by std. user (except in process list). Then, frames are better solution.

Pig wrote:
Here is an example of a site that uses audio and frames. It's pretty standard method.
Sorry, Pig, Satis. I already used that method.

Well? Other ideas, then, or frames are my destiny?

Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Duke

Unless you want to do the whole thing in flash, pretty much.

Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:12 am
Profile YIM WWW
Emperor

Unless you want to do the whole thing in flash, pretty much.
And pretty slow (for non-satelite WEB download). If I ever want to present my presentation on CD I'd rather use Win32 & DX.

Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Duke

I guess that would depend on what you are doing. Through vector graphics, proper symbol use and image optimization, you can do a lot.

This file is only 93Kb.
http://www.webhead.cc/main.php?inv=42

Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Emperor

I guess that would depend on what you are doing.

I guess that's true enough.

I think you definitely should put background-color:#ffffff; in the body field in CSS. 1/3 of screen (on the left side) is absolutely dark on my screen because I use nostd. windows appernance.

As for the flash thing, It load it approx. six minutes (let them to do only that, slow transmit between servers, I guess) before I got "Loading, interface, ..." and then passed about 40 secs. before happening.

I see that before, ... that was your former presentation.
If I must write all presentation like that, I'm afraid that'll not be only 93kB large. Slow enough to I dischoose them.

Resume: It is smaller than Win32 x DX equivalent INDEED but it is too big for me anyway.
Also, D3D and 3DS MAX could allow better work in right hands it I got right. (?)

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

you could definetely make nicer looking stuff in 3dsmax (or any other 3d rendering program), but file sizes are something else entirely. A good looking mesh is big... a nice texture map for a large mesh is big, too. :) Flash isn't really meant for 3d, though you can fake it.

If you were to use only 100% vector graphics (no audio) you can easily make flash presentations that are tiny. My menu on clankiller.com is 20k, for instance.

http://clankiller.com/cisco/cisco3/thre ... index.html

that's a flash presentation I did for a Cisco class I took. It's got quite a bit going on, but it's 100% vector (except for some html I linked to) and the flash file is 166KB.

*edit* I take it back, it's not 100% flash. There are some pics in there as well. */edit*

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

Let resume how I did come here: I want constant sound background in any part of presentation.

Can you say me how much will take raducing something 5 times bigger than this into flash, in one single part (without childs).

Anyway, all this sounds interestig. I think I need just one spark to start learning flash (I have Flash, I have tutorial, but I think you already got there is nothing else). Come on, mans, do me favor.

GFreeman wrote:
Resume: It is smaller than Win32 x DX equivalent INDEED but it is too big for me anyway.
Also, D3D and 3DS MAX could allow better work in right hands it I got right.

Satis wrote:
you could definetely make nicer looking stuff in 3dsmax (or any other 3d rendering program), but file sizes are something else entirely. A good looking mesh is big... a nice texture map for a large mesh is big, too. Flash isn't really meant for 3d, though you can fake it.

Satis, that's not matter if I put all on CD. Personally, I'll never go to write MY presentation on CD (useless). BUT, I must say I barely disagree with things you said:

I have D3D core (2.12MB), there works most of things I can make in 3DSMax. Thing I must add is some tinny (about 12kB code) player with EAX support.
1. Meshs are not too large: one Duke Nukem like level is stored in about 8kB. Personally, thing I have to make is smaller than that.
2. Textures couldn't be greater problem than in flash. I can set some internal compression and decompress it after user's download. (No RAR, I don't have the license)
3. Sounds as well.

Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

well, I checked out your link...everything that you did on that page can be done in Flash. In fact, you could do it as a single flash file (thus, no page changes).

Still, I know nothing about D3D, so perhaps that would be a better choice for you. I'm just saying that flash is certainly a viable alternative. Though if you don't know it, you may not want to start off with something this large. It took me a while to learn how to structure a flash presentation so it's really scalable (in size). If you're not careful how you design it, it can be very difficult to make a presentation that large.

Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

No Satis. I'll never use pure DX for my presentation execept in Credits of some on-CD project. That all was a methaphor on a Flash files size. Now it loses sense.

Satis wrote:
If you're not careful how you design it, it can be very difficult to make a presentation that large.

Oho, challenge. Now you speak with my language, Satis. So be it. I start with flash tomorow. I'll not bother you, or Pig or anyone if I'm not really troubled.

But I must notice its current madeby The ART 2.1beta core do adding new child page easy (approx. ...) as it is posting new topic here. So PHP is currently easier for use. Heh, that give me idea:

What you think, Pig, Satis. If someone do some optimizer/organizer (so - new editor) for only-flash based applications, how much money he can expect to get for selling that (== how many customers)? Already exist things like that?

Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next