It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
USB c video output 
Minor Diety

Post USB c video output
As we all know, new tech stuff has to be irritating and make us wonder why we bought it. I got my drawing tablet today and it's being a pain in the arse to set up.

2 options for setting it up.
a) 3 way cable that means it uses up HDMI and USB slots.
b) USB c to USB c that means it only uses the USB c slot, leaving my one HDMI port free for my monitor.

I'm trying to use b because I no longer have a VGA cable to connect my monitor. I've ordered one from Amazon in case nothing will work but I'd rather use HDMI really. So here's the issue.

I downloaded and installed the tablet drivers fine. I have power to the tablet. When I start up the software and the tablet, the software says "no device connected". The tablet says "No signal" then goes to power saving mode. I've tried uninstalling my USB drivers, the tablet driver, updating every driver imaginable. I've disabled antivirus, left antivirus on. Restarted the PC multiple times.

Once, only once, did I get the tablet software to recognise there was *something* so I was able to mess in a settings menu. However after maybe 2 minutes it crapped out again and complained nothing was connected. At no point did I get a picture on the tablet. I've been researching and know it needs to be USB 3.1 to support display out over USB c, which my drivers are. I've tried detecting other monitors, nothing. Tried putting the PC into extend mode, nothing.

Any ideas? It's not a huge hardship if it will work via the 3 way cable and I have to go back to VGA for my main monitor but the less cables the better!

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Post Re: USB c video output
Actually for usb c port to transmit video it has to support display alt mode. The 3.1 and 3.2 are irrelevant if I remember correctly.
Now If your monitor has usb c port it doesn't immediately mean it will accept video signal through it. It might be just a port for external drives and such.

Please share both the tablet and the monitor model names.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:39 pm
Minor Diety

Yes sorry I meant the alt mode, thanks Peltz.

The tablet is a Huion Kamvas 16 (2021). I'm not connecting the tablet to the monitor directly, but to my motherboard, which is a MSI Z390-A PRO, Intel Z390, S1151. I've looked on the MSI website and I think it is supported but it's not the easiest thing to actually get info from :S

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

1. Make sure the cables are well connected.
2. If you use a desktop, make sure the HDMI port is plugged into
the graphic card
on the tower, but not into the motherboard.
3. If you use a Windows OS computer, make sure to press
''Windows+P'' on keyboard, then choose Duplicate or Extend.
Don't choose Computer Only or Projector Only.
4. If there is no HDMI port on your computer, you need an extra
HDMI adapter. We don't recommend a USB to HDMI adapter.
Also, we don't recommend a USB hub. We recommend DVI/
VGA/ Display Port/ Type-C/ Thunderbolt, etc. to HDMI adapters.

This is from the manual.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:12 am
Minor Diety

:roll: completely forgot I could download a manual. Haha. Such a dork.

I figured that was going to be the case. Very annoying, usb c would've been so much easier. My graphics card only has one HDMI on it so I ordered a VGA cable but that would be plugged into the motherboard and means I'll have to keep going behind the PC to switch them if I'm drawing or not; usually not an issue but our room is (sort of) rodent proofed to stop our pets reaching the wires! Though I'm thinking a HDMI adapter will be better now as it has 3 of those that are like an L on their side. Thanks anyway :)

Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Have you figured out the setup to get this thing to actually work.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:23 am
Minor Diety

I think I know what I need to do, just need adapters to arrive from Amazon now!

I need to have a DisplayPort adaptor so I can plug my HDMI monitor into that on the graphics card. Then the graphics card HDMI port will be connected to the tablet. The tablet also then has to have a normal USB connection into the computer and a mains power supply.

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

OK should work. Just keep in mind that DP to HDMI is a one way cable. An active cable is required to push signal from HDMI to DP. But your setup should work.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:16 am
Minor Diety

Cool thanks, yeah I only need the picture to go into the monitor so should be ok I think. Why can't things just be easy?! :roll:

Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Dang Peltz, you're wrecking it. Thumbs up.

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]