It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
WiFi Signal 
Minor Diety

Post WiFi Signal
Dudes. How do I stop my phone losing internet connection with WiFi?

I’ve been in my current house for 3 yrs and ever since we moved in, we’ve noticed our mobile phones have a number of issues during any day staying connected to the internet. The WiFi signal is fine and showing full bars, but every so often we have to switch WiFi off and use 4G cos it just stops working for a minute or so. Happens to anyone using a mobile device, but my PC (also WiFi) doesn’t seem to suffer at all.

We’ve switched provider entirely and the problem has slightly reduced but it still happens! Enough to piss us off.

The problem is slightly compounded because I need to be able to keep a solid internet connection to my mobile phone via WiFi for work purposes. Long story shot I need to demo mobile apps and the mirroring app I use will only mirror to my pc (which I share screen from) only if mobile phone is on same WiFi network as pc.

I’m using the providers stock router. I’m not using any extenders / repeaters, and the WiFi signal seems absolutely fine from any part of the house.

Any ideas?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:45 am
Stranger

Post Re: WiFi Signal
Might be a problem with the wifi channel. Log onto the router and switch the channel. It usually is set on auto but try setting it to something else.

Other than that can't really tell from here. You might try disabling either the 2ghz or 5ghz radio one at a time to see if the problem persist.

As for Access Points (AP) all my places run on Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR. Slightly different way of setting them up that you are probably used to but they are really good. If the above suggestions don't work and you want to try completely bypassing the routers wifi system, you should try and find a used UAP-AC-LR.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:29 pm
Stranger

Any luck?

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:07 am
Minor Diety

Sounds like a pretty vague issue tbh. I've had similar issues with phones dropping the network on and off and in most cases the problem was with the phone, not the network. So you might want to look into that as well. A possible culprit is a wifi prioritizing app or feature that came with your phone, they can cause these sorts of issues when they go haywire or don't play well with your network. You could also try resetting your phone's network settings entirely.

Otherwise I can't think of much else than to update the firmware drivers for the router (if you haven't already). In more "probably not but hey" territory there's the possibility of certain devices in your house interfering with the wireless signal...if you have a lot of other wireless devices (in particular bluetooth ones) or even a microwave oven in a strategic position it could fuck with your connectivity. And last but not least, try switching around the wifi channel in case it's overloaded by nearby network(s). But that seems unlikely, seeing as you live in a house and not an apartment.

Hope it helps bro...but probably not super helpful. :-)

- Coach

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:53 am
Minor Diety

Well, both of your suggestions sounded too complicated for my stupid self, so i just spunked £100 on a new Netgear Nighthawk router. Installed it today. Everything fine so far :)

Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:38 pm
Felix Rex

Using a Nighthawk router is like attacking a bug infestation with a flamethrower. It's probably throwing out so much EM it's drowning out every other router around it. Which is totally fine and acceptable.

Usually the cause for that kind of thing is that everyone around you is using the same type of wifi on the same channels, because routers are dumb and nobody knows enough to switch channels. Various options are to switch to a different wavelength... try using 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz. The benefit (and detriment) of the two is that 5ghz carries more data, but has more problem penetrating through walls and stuff. So... less interference from your neighbors, higher bandwidth... but as you go through walls in your own house the bandwidth drops off. 2.4ghz tends be more over-used, penetrates further (the frequency controls that), but has lower bandwidth (frequency again).

If you bump up your signal strength with a stronger router or better antennas, you can drown out your neighbors, but then you're fucking with their bandwidth and reception. And... as mentioned previously... you can change channels... been awhile but the 2.4ghz spectrum covers a few channels, with each channel being around 20mhz in range.... so there are 11 available channels. Most routers come pre-set to specific channels, so those ones tend to be overloaded. If you swap to an under-utilized channel, the issues go away. At 5ghz, apparently channels sizes vary... but the same concept applies. Whatever other people use, you should avoid.

There are free apps you can download that can scan channel usage to see what's available. I've used the following, mostly for curiosity's sake:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US&gl=US

Anyway... hope that helps.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]