It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Pev needs a new rig 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Pev needs a new rig
:lol: Quite honestly, that's still me when I play the Xbox version 17 months on from release. And I don't even have 4k!

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Well 4k by it self doesn't do anything. The textures quality (usually used synonymously with 'engine') defines the visual quality. Lets say you have 4k texture pack. It's going to look almost the same on a 4k and 1k monitor because downscaling can be done relatively easily. However if you have a 720 texture pack it's going to look like crap on 4k screen because upscaling needs to fabricate non-existing texture lines.

And then there's the screen size. On a 10" screen, even 540 stuff looks good at screen resolution of 2k or 4k. On 50" screen it is going to look like a factory defect. And that's because the human eye doesn't work on the resolution system.

Just look at Borderlands. No matter how much AA, resolution or other magic you throw at it, it's still going to look like a cartoon and the reason for it is the engine beneath it. Same goes for TF2. Also they look pretty much the same on screens from 15" to 32".

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:04 am
Minor Diety

Very true. We're trained I think to automatically go "ooh it has higher numbers, it must be better". I was one of those people when HD first came out that could look at screenshots next to each other and say "There's no difference". In fact I remember complaining on the first Dead Rising because the HD was actually a detriment if you weren't on a HD TV due to the text being tiny, stretched and blurred. But y'know, I wouldn't complain if I had the chance to experience 4k on a 50" TV. Just so long as I don't have to pay for it ;) Like when I hear people boasting about their massive fps. You can't detect over 60ish anyway! Though of course it does mean you have a buffer so even if it slows down you won't notice I guess. I'm also still one of those who goes with gameplay > graphics but it's not to say I won't swoon over something amazing.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Did your new rig arrive yet Pev? Is it all you ever dreamed of? 8-)

- Coach

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:18 pm
Minor Diety

Came yesterday!

Unfortunately I forgot Niall's mum was coming over so we had a couple of hours of entertaining her. Then we have to take a couple of hours with having the degus out the cage. I can't get up before midday so it eats into my time plus I was exhausted from stupidly walking home from the doctors the day before so ended up napping an hour in the evening then going to bed early too!

Today we're at a friends for gaming in the evening so I'm getting back ups done and ready.

Long story short, I'll be building it tomorrow and I can't wait!

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

We're up and running!

RDR2 is downloading (and has been for the past 5 hours, 3 left).

Windows 10 is being stupid. I think on the old pc I'd had Win 7 and upgraded, so it was a digital licence, no product key. Although I checked beforehand and the Windows settings said it was on my account, it's now refusing to activate from a fresh install. Did a very quick google and it looks like it's because it also ties it to the hard drive so ask I'm on a new one, it's refusing to activate. Going to put my old one in as a secondary at some point anyway so we'll see if that helps or not. Otherwise I might have to bite the bullet and actually buy Windows for the first time ever!

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Actually it is tied to the motherboard, not hdd.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:51 am
Minor Diety

That's what I thought I'd read before but something I spotted (only a very brief search) suggested it's been changed. Not looked into it much yet, started back at work on Mon and today, just 2 hour shifts each and exhausted after them!

That didn't stop me getting in a few hours on Mon evening on RDR2. Max graphics with no slowdown and 1gb of video ram spare. Heaven!

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Glad to hear you're up and running Pev! Ready for that 4th playthrough of RDR2. :roll: :P

I had issues 'recycling' a windows key from an older PC to a newer one too while I was helping out my parents with setting up a new laptop. From everything I read there shouldn't have been any reason why the key wouldn't have been accepted, but it still was fucked. So I was faced with running the whole windows customer support gauntlet to confirm the validity of my the key...decided to just go for essential security updates instead. My parents mostly use the laptop to browse the internet, skype with me and play card games anyway. :roll:

- Coach

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:58 am
Minor Diety

I fixed the activation issues.

If you go to Troubleshoot, then "I recently changed my hardware" it was coming up with a box to tick which had my old PC device name. I'm sure I'd tried clicking it and then going to "This is my device" and had got an error. I think I've also tried not clicking it in the hopes it would show up the new device.

Either way, today I clicked to say that was my device, clicked ok and it has worked. So whether it was having a paddy, I was being an idiot or both, I don't know! But it now works :)

Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Grats! Welcome to the future!

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha thanks Satis

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:27 am
Profile WWW