It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Platform debate 
Minor Diety

Post Platform debate
No doubt Ox might be the least interested in this discussion, with his spartan way of life (i believe he is still using a Nokia 3210) but being at least a bit geeky, I often ponder about what platform or tech I should be going for. Devices in discussion are:

- smartphone
- desktop pc
- portable computer

Right now I have a Windows smartphone, a Windows PC and no portable computer. I would really like one as I am travelling more. The smartphone can't really substitute the function of a desktop, so I need something that comes a bit closer.

What are you guys using, and what OS? Windows / iOS / Android, etc.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:35 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Platform debate

On a more serious note, as far as I know Windows phone is already a big no-no. Part of my work is dealing with people contacting us through smartphones and Windows phones are regarded as the lolcopters among all smartphones (as far as the software platform goes).

As for your travelling problem...after waiting out the whole "tablets are the new thing buy one only 700 euro" craze, I can tell that there are now quite a few reliable tablets out there that can fulfill the basic functions of a laptop with the ease of travelling of a smart phone. Hell, even my parents have one. Seeing as I don't look forward to lugging around my 6 kilo laptop for a weekend in Italy just so I can access the internet I'm looking forward to buying one for myself even.

Not that I am an expert on which one is a good choice though....but from the little I know, I would always for an Android-based device. Windows is still a bit too obscure and iOS is Apple so you're chained to their choices.

- Coach

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:25 am
Minor Diety

yeah man thats pretty much accurate from the noise im hearing.

Apple feels restrictive despite what the sales folk will say. Windows is u-turning with Windows 8 (Win 9 coming out soon) and they're liquidating Nokia (my fav handset). Android is a bit of a mystery to me but possibily the safest options.

I've been eyeing up ultrabooks. I dont think tablets are powerful enough for me, and full laptops arent portable enough. There is a premium therefore for ultrabooks, but thats ok. Heavily considered the mac airbook, but whether i will rock with iOS or not is something of considerable internal debate. The pondering continues.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:47 am
Minor Diety

Hey! I have a windows phone and it kicks ass! Admittedly it's a Nokia so it literally kicks ass as your pictures show ;) I think generally speaking Samsung Galaxy is considered one of the better smartphones out there - never tried one myself but I hear they're pretty reliable, got more apps than Windows phones (not as many as iPhones of course) and are overall pretty good at everything. I know business wise it tends to be Windows and Blackberries that get used though (certainly that's what our company uses and what they mostly sell to others with the odd iPhone thrown in here and there).

PC wise I'm still on Windows 7, keep debating 8 but couldn't afford it when I upgraded the PC and too lazy right now to do upgrades anyway. Would like to get it eventually.

Tablets... I have no clue. I have one of the first Kindle Fires that came out (it was cheap then, about £150 so probably dirt cheap now) but it's literally used for my random casual gaming (read Candy Crush style annoying games), Skyping my parents and the odd ebook (still prefer a real book) so can't really comment, it's not something I've looked into at all. The Kindle is pretty good and reliable, I've had it 2 years now with no issues but it does run into the problem of anything that isn't an Apple - every app you want takes at least a year to appear on it, if it turns up at all.

Aren't there kind of hybrids available now, somewhere between a laptop and a tablet? That sounds like it might be best for you if I'm not just making it up, almost the full function of a desktop but more portable than a laptop (let's face it, most laptops are still a pain in the backside to cart around these days).

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

yeah in theory the new MS Surface 3 should be the table/laptop hybrid you describe but the kickstand is fugly and i just can't see much sense in the detachable keyboard.

i think ultrabooks are like the new generation of laptop that will ultimately make normal laptops obsolete soonish.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:11 pm
Stranger

Quote:
make normal laptops obsolete soonish.

Not likely. The Ultra-books will always cost more due to the fact of needing expensive materials to manage heat issues. There's not a lot of room for heat dissipation in an ultra book and making it fully out of plastic with a dedicated gpu in it would result in a melted blob. My brother had a Siemens laptop and once the internal fan failed, the keyboard melted. So no i don't see that happening. The normal laptops will get thinner but there's always a market for cheap laptops even if they are fat and ugly.

Keep in mind that EU and US live inside a well-fare bubble. There are areas in the world where turning on a light bulb from a switch on the wall equals magic. Even if the market share of fat and ugly drops in EU there's still demand for them outside the bubble.

The reason that modern gpus are the size of a shoe box (which run 3 4 monitors in tandem and high resolutions for games and simulations) is that same heat issue. That's the same reason why smartphones are and will be utterly inferior in terms of raw power. If they would put out the same amount of processing power as the latest Nvidia/AMDATI generation, one would need fireproof clothing just to hold the device.

When I switched out my PC's CPU, the thermal paste I used had gone bad, I think it had prolonged exposure to air, so my CPU was giving out temperatures at the range 80*C. According to Intel 90*C was the threshold for critical failure. But it can go over 100 so in theory one could boil an egg on the out of the box CPU. So I believe the heat issue is going to stay with us for a while and for that same reason the fat and ugly laptops as well.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:58 pm
Felix Rex

I'm a tech nerd. :/

Phone
I have an android smartphone and will continue because of my investment in the platform. I would never get iOS because I hate Apple. They're a bunch of money grubbing fucktards that try to appeal to people's elitism. "Be different by buying the same phone all your friends have!" No thanks. Mostly their build quality is pretty good, but I hate their attitude. iOS is also on the decline compared to android. Windows phone has potential, but it's still smaller than Android or iOS. I would never go to a non-smartphone because having the internet in my pocket is insanely awesome.

Tablet
I have an android tablet. Basically for the same reasons as above. I would seriously consider getting a larger (10-14") windows tablet if it ran full Windows 8 (not the ARM version / Windows RT). That's only because it would allow me to run full windows apps. However, I'd probably get that in addition to an android tablet. There are too many android apps that work better on larger screens.

laptop
Windows. I hate Apple. ChromeOS is an option, I suppose, and it's cheap, but it pretty much requires internet access. This is unrealistic to me. Mobile broadband is crappy and expensive in the US. A Windows laptop works without internet and is still useful. Apple is a bunch of cock gobblers. :roll:

desktop
Windows. I play games. I use a lot of software packages that are Windows-specific. I would consider Linux, but yea, not so much because all the apps I use are all Windows apps. Apple can suck a dick.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]