It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
New PC time 
Minor Diety

Post Re: New PC time
Ended up going with:

1x Gigabyte GZ-X1 Black Mid Tower Case w/o PSU
1x 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V
1x 600W Corsair Builder Series CX CP-9020048-UK, 80 PLUS Bronze, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX, PSU
1x Intel Core i5 4570, S 1150, Haswell, Quad Core, 3.2GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo, 1150MHz GPU, 32x Ratio, 84W, Retail
1x MSI Z87-G43, Intel Z87, S 1150, DDR3, SATA III, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub/DVI-D/HDMI, ATX
1x 2GB MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr Gaming OC, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 1085MHz, Boost 1150MHz, Cores 1152
1x ASUS BC-12D2HT Blu-Ray Combo 12x BD-R Reader 16x DVDRW 48x CD-R Retail Drive SATA Black Retail

Total of £633 including delivery, should be here Saturday 15th. I was going to get an SSD but due to the price in the end I'm going to wait, maybe treat myself at Christmas to one for the boot drive as you guys suggest. Wasn't going to go for the 760 either as that was a good £60 more than my original choice but then the 660 was out of stock when I came to order everything so it forced my hand!

Excited now, can't wait for next weekend, pc building time!

Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Grats. Good luck on the build and let us know how it turns out.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

PC is here, all put together bar the harddrive as I'm still backing up from this old one before the old format/disk swap/new install. New one is looking super sexy, the case is very nice considering I just bought a relatively cheap one - front panel has the usual USB/Mic/Audio jacks on it but they're hidden behind a nice shiny silver panel and it also has a clever little panel for your disc drive that sits in front of the actual drive and has a hinged panel to allow the tray to come out and its own open button that presses on the drives built-in button so the appearance of your case isn't spoilt. That only works if you only have one drive though as the rest are just solid panels you'd have to remove but luckily I only have one drive.

So hopefully next time I type to you guys I'll be on the new machine. Wish me luck!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Quote:
it also has a clever little panel for your disc drive that sits in front of the actual drive and has a hinged panel to allow the tray to come out and its own open button that presses on the drives built-in button so the appearance of your case isn't spoilt. That only works if you only have one drive though as the rest are just solid panels you'd have to remove but luckily I only have one drive.

Aww see that's a fail right there because, you know, at this day and age everybody needs at least two optical drives.. /sarcasm mode off :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:58 am
Minor Diety

This thing is so damn quiet!

Build seems to have gone ok other than the minor issue that my speakers aren't working. I have Windows reinstalled and updated, antivirus installed and Firefox installed. When the HDD isn't doing anything you can't even tell this pc is on. Time to get some games installed (and fix the speaker thing... I always seem to have an audio issue whenever I build a PC).

Update: Problem solved, seems I needed to get the Windows 7 service pack for my driver to work, we now have sound. I have Realm Reborn back on the PC and am currently downloading/updating Skyrim and Elder Scrolls Online. Overall a very smooth build really and so far very happy with it.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Awesome. Congrats on getting your system together.

BTW, I disagree with Peltz... my next machine will have zero optical drives. :)

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Well I was being sarcastic because my dvd drive sees action only when I backup my own movies since the lifetime of optical media is questionable. And I seriously doubt they use the best quality dvds for movies.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:48 am
Minor Diety

Agreed really, since I mainly play MMOs these days my disk drive rarely gets a look in, but we do play the odd thing still plus I have my old games collection (most of which I still need to finish) and it's always faster to install from disc than download/install some huge game. Also saves watching Blu-rays on my bfs PS3/4.

Not got round to trying Skyrim yet, will do it this weekend. Also got my bf Rome Total War 2 way back in September for his birthday but we didn't bother installing it on the old pc so will be interesting to see how this one handles it. The Total Wars have always been quite intensive on a rig.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2