It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Derf Looking For a New Car 
Minor Diety

Post Derf Looking For a New Car
So i'm fully fed up now with my piece of shit Ibiza. The clutch is just a pain in the butt, even after getting a new one.

Looking for something newer and nicer to drive. Best I can come up with for the moment is an S40. I don't have kids, so a station wagon / people carrier are useless to me. I don't drive long distances or have any passengers to take except the gf, so i don't need a family car. I guess i'm after something fairly compact.

Thu May 09, 2013 4:33 pm
Felix Rex

Post Re: Derf Looking For a New Car
You guys in Europe have a completely different car world than we do in the US. It's bizarre. I want a Tesla Model S, but I'm too poor. :(

Thu May 09, 2013 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Are we talking about a brand new one or one a pre-owned with low mileage?

I think škoda has a pretty good price/quality ratio. Rapid and Octavia are no stunners but they wont rape your wallet either.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri May 10, 2013 12:36 am
Minor Diety

Used & low mileage peltz. No way to I earn enough to buy new.

Fri May 10, 2013 5:05 am
Stranger

I don't believe the european and US automotive worlds differ that much. The only difference is that owning a huge suv in europe is a major pain in the butt. The streets are narrow and opening the doors in parking slots at the local mall is a bit problematic. But all in all, the major brands exist here and there (occasionally under different names ie vauxhall is opel).

Or was your statement based on the Volvo in derfs post?

PS! Brits and their ridiculous lefty traffic system does not represent the majority of europe. They are pretty much on their own in that regard and i believe cyprus and malta are as well.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri May 10, 2013 6:09 am
Minor Diety

Japan is lefty too.

I don't know much at all about US market for cars, other than reputation that cars built there are generally shite. Ford is american though, right? Last I checked they were pretty good in general.

Fri May 10, 2013 11:28 am
Stranger

That's because ze germans are producing them. Fords for Europe are produced in germany, second best decision ever in ford history.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri May 10, 2013 1:21 pm
Minor Diety

Goddamn. They sold that S40. Motherfuckers. Now I have 3 shortlisted:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Fri May 10, 2013 5:06 pm
Minor Diety

Test drove the S40. My review:

Clutch pedal stiff as fuck. pillars too wide (cant see shit). steering too soft. Interior too tight. Ride too firm.

Tue May 14, 2013 11:35 am
Stranger

I drive automatic, clutch stiffness is irrelevent. Wish you luck finding a replacement, do keep us up to date on what you find/drive.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue May 14, 2013 1:10 pm
Minor Diety

I was thinking the exact same thing. Automatic might be the way to go. I actually like the idea of using the gears, but clutches are proving to be a pain in the ass. My current Ibiza's clutch is nice and soft, but the biting point is tiny and so difficult to find a frustrating to drive. This S40 had the pedal too damn stiff.

Might go test drive a C Class now:

Tue May 14, 2013 1:46 pm
Felix Rex

Ah, well, that's a car we have. Most of those I've never even heard of that you were mentioning. I've heard of Opel, but they're not really popular. As for Ford... they suck. The better cars are Japanese over here, though I am a big fan of Tesla. Nissan has a very good reputation too. Ford has a bad one. Chevy is ok. Shiny, however, has much stronger opinions on cars than I do.

Thu May 16, 2013 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]