It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Win 7 HomeGroup Feature 
Stranger

Post Win 7 HomeGroup Feature
No!

Wireless, HELL NO!

Getting two computers to actually communicate in the same HomeGroup is nothing short of depressing but the wireless speed makes it pointless for transporting large files. Mine peaked at 2MB/s which means a 15gb file would take near 3hours, when i connected the other pc with cable it achieved 12MB/s.

What these people get paid for at MS is beyond my comprehension. Do they ever ask themselves why the internet is full of troubleshooting guides about fixing their shit, but.. obviously they don't.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:28 pm
Felix Rex

Post Re: Win 7 HomeGroup Feature
I didn't bother to set up homegroups. My machines are networked through a combination of wired 1gb ethernet, 802.11n at 5ghz and 802.11g at 2.6ghz. I can transfer an 8GB file from one pc across my n wireless connection to my media pc in about 10 minutes. What I'm trying to say though, is.... wtf? If you remove it from the homegroup, does the speed pick up?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:30 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

No idea, i'm not spending another minute on that garbage, i'll just use an external hdd.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:16 am
Stranger

I'll say this much though in case anyone bothers with this madness, when trying to access the other pc and it keeps asking for a username and password (for which absolutely nothing works) then you need to go to:

Control panel / Network and Internet / Network and Sharing Centre / Advanced Sharing Settings / Turn off password protected sharing.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]