It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
GeForce 680 out 
Felix Rex

Post GeForce 680 out
The GeForce 680 was released yesterday. Lots of reviews up, but Tom's Hardware is always a good bet.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gef ... ,3161.html

Bottom line is that it's pretty badass. This is about $500, but the crazy thing is that this is not the high-end version of Kepler. This is the replacement for the 460gtx.

At any rate, more models should trickle out soon. $500 is too much for me, but with any luck we'll get a really nicely performing card for half that price in the next month or so.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Post Re: GeForce 680 out
Quote:
Nvidia is fond of drawing parallels. With its prior-generation graphics cards, the company likened each model to a different role on a virtual battlefield. GeForce GTX 480 was the tank—big performance and, to a fault, a big price, big power, and big heat, as well. GeForce GTX 460 came to be referred to as the hunter, incorporating a better balance of speed, efficiency, and cost more apropos to gamers. Finally, GeForce GTS 450 was dubbed the sniper for its focus on enabling playable frame rates at 1680x1050, according to Nvidia.

As silly as that trio of categories seemed, they make it easier for us to put a finger on the pulse of GeForce GTX 680. Though its name (and price) suggests a successor to Nvidia’s current single-GPU flagship, this is decidedly the hunter—a gamer-oriented card that almost completely de-emphasizes the once-emphatic message of improving general-purpose compute performance. But hey, it does that whole gamer thing really well, just like the GeForce GTX 460

Above section of the article explains Satis' 460 remark. Might be confusing without it.

Quote:
Every indication points to the GeForce GTX 680 beginning its life as a GK104-based embryo, destined to do its duty as Nvidia’s hunter-class card. With pointed strengths in gaming, compute performance was something it had to sacrifice, just like GeForce GTX 460. But fate dealt this chip a different hand when it proved competitive against AMD’s flagship in games. GK104 would not be following in GF104’s footsteps. Instead, it'd take the reigns from the GF110-derived tank, GeForce GTX 580. In principle, that's like Rosie taking over for Oprah. But rather than falling on its face, GK104 turns out to be a great follow-up.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 pm
Minor Diety

Nvidia is starting to annoy me with its military-style naming of cards. Hunter-class? Wtf does that even mean. What does it hunt? Pixels?

Similarly, my card is a Geforce 560 Ti and the box and manual say it has "military-grade components". I'm sure they use a lot of GPU's in the war on terror. :roll:

- Coach

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:58 am
Felix Rex

I suspect that has less to do with nvidia and more with the manufacturer.

Regardless, it's probably not a lie. Components != graphics card... components == capacitors and crap like that. Believe it or not, the military actually uses electronics with capacitors. :roll:

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Wel yeah, but what's the point of putting that on a graphics card description? :P

- Coach

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:49 am
Felix Rex

I don't know if you're trolling or not. :roll:

Assuming you're not, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the big problem of sub-standard capacitors causing all kinds of equipment failures. Presumably milspec equipment is tested more extensively.

Quote:
The capacitor plague (also known as bad capacitors or "bad caps")[1][2] is a problem with a large number of premature failures of aluminum electrolytic capacitors with non-solid or liquid electrolyte of certain brands, especially from some Taiwanese manufacturers.[3] The first flawed capacitors were seen in 1999, but most of the affected capacitors failed in the early to mid 2000s. High failure rates occurred in various electronics equipment, particularly motherboards, video cards, compact fluorescent lamp ballasts, LCD monitors, and power supplies of personal computers. News of the failures (usually after a few years of use) forced many equipment manufacturers to repair the defects. The problem seems to be ongoing; faults were still being reported as of 2010.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I see. Seriously though, that's hardly common knowledge among normal consumers. Which, if all the screaming colors and half-naked chicks on your average gpu package are anything to go by, are probably a much larger group than the techheads. It's still bizarro marketing to me.

I know I'm not exactly a tech wizard (haha) but I for one wasn't aware of this epidemic. You'd think I would have heard of it before even as a non-insider given my time spent on the internet (and on gaming websites).

- Coach

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 pm
Felix Rex

honestly, I'm really surprised you didn't. It was a really big deal maybe 5-6 years ago. I remember reading about it on slashdot, and I remember lots of motherboard and graphics board recalls as a result. *shrug* I guess we move in different circles.

Anyway, that epidemic has made a lasting impact. You'll see motherboard and other components marketing high-quality capacitors and such.

example:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4N68TM_V2/

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Mm now something is vaguely coming back. It may have been during the year and a half I was in Prague and didn't have internet at home, would explain why I didnt really live through it consciously. :P

- Coach

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 am
Stranger

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-ke ... 38200.html

Quote:
Nvidia is recycling aging Fermi chips and offers them in a new wrapper. The GeForce GT 520 has turned into the GT 620, but comes with just half the memory 512/1024 MB instead of 1024/2048 MB. However, the new card now supports OpenGL 4.2 and not just 4.1.

Also "new" is the GeForce 605, which replaces the 510 model. The card drops the graphics clock speed from 810 to 523 MHz and the processor clock speed from 1620 to 1026 MHz.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:26 am
Felix Rex

yea, not too surprised. It's not the first time. 8800gt recycled into 9800gt just one example. I think it's still sleazy, though.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]