It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Alt Gr 
Minor Diety

Post Alt Gr
just wanting to share: i just found out that holding Alt Gr and then scrolling will adjust the size of this (any) site. 8-)

pro tip: start surfing with a 1 year old on your lap, since they will mash all kinds of buttons on your keyboard while you're scrolling and you'll end up a tiny bit wiser.

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:28 am
Felix Rex

Post Re: Alt Gr
What's Gr? At least on American keyboards (the most important kind), hodling down control and scrolling your mousewheel will resize text. I presume we're talking about the same thing.

Some other stuff....

Ctrl-F4 will close a tab in a browser (Firefox, I'm sure it's the same for the other ones)
Ctrl-tab will switch to the next tab... ctrl-shift-tab the previous
Windows key + r will bring up the run menu
Windows key + e will bring up a windows explorer window
ctrl + shift + escape will bring up the task manager
alt-tab will switch between applications (hopefully everyone knows this one)

in Windows 7:
windows key-tab will also switch between apps, but with a much cooler interface (hold down the windows key)
windows key + left arrow will put your current window on the left half of the screen
windows key + right arrow will put it on the right
windows key + up arrow will maximize it
those three are equivalent to dragging your window there

that's probably enough for now. This kinda stuff makes me significantly more efficient at my job. :p

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

alt gr :D

~King of Thieves~

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:12 am
Felix Rex

weird. Does that one behave differently than the other alt? On our keyboards, that's just another alt key, just like you have shift and control keys on both sides.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Yes, for instance you cant close applications by pressing alt gr + f4.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:05 am
Minor Diety

It also acts similar to shift or regular alt for when a key has more than 2 functions

Quote:
AltGr is used similarly to the Shift key: it is held down when another key is struck in order to obtain a character other than the one that the latter normally produces. AltGr and Shift can also sometimes be combined to obtain yet another character. For example, on the US-International keyboard layout, the C key can be used to insert four different characters:

C → c (lower case — first level)
⇧ Shift+C → C (upper case — second level)
AltGr+C → © (copyright sign — third level)
AltGr+⇧ Shift+C → ¢ (cent sign — fourth level)

Quote:
The Alt Gr key is something that was used in the early days of computing but is no longer of much use, but it’s still there because nobody has thought about removing it.

Our standard computer keyboards are based on the design of computer keyboards from the 1960s and 1970s when, rather than being used with desktop and laptop PCs, they were used to control giant mainframe computers that were the size of rooms and had thousands of functions.

There is no mouse control on a mainframe so if you wanted to get anything done you would have to do it using the keyboard, and so to enable people to work quickly keyboards were covered with lots of symbols.

Sometimes two or three functions were accessed using a single key and to access them, the user would have to press another key such as Shift, Ctrl, Alt or Alt Gr. The Alt Gr originally stood for ‘alternate graphic’ and if you pressed it the function of the key would change to what was shown in the alternative graphic on the top of the key.

Today, with Windows computers, most of us use a mouse to access what we need from the computer so there is no longer any need for a keyboard to be covered with numerous arcane symbols.

The Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys are still there and are still used by lots of programs. The Alt Gr key is almost never used now, but remains on modern keyboards because it is still used by some older applications.

Also, having a single keyboard design allows keyboards to be used on all sorts of computers, some of which (older ones) still use the Alt Gr key.

That said, the Alt Gr key does have a use for modern Windows users, because it can be used to type some special characters such as those from other languages.

I think the reason you may not see it a lot on US keyboards is because it's used to type some relatively rare characters, and English has a limited amount of letters. Dutch for example has the trema (ë) that can be coupled to almost every vowel, and sometimes accented vowels (é and è) and other weird shit. English is pretty boring compared to that. I'm sure Peltz has even weirder characters on his keyboard though haha!

- Coach

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:52 pm
Stranger

Not really. In my language I don't know any original words beginning with a W C Z or Ž. We have ö,ü,õ and ä. ö sound like the part right after b in birthday. ü sounds like the part after s in syringe. ä sounds like the beginning of @. Don't know any words at the moment that would give a good example how õ sounds.

This is how our alphabet looks like. No cyrillic or shit like that.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:09 am
Felix Rex

Yea, that's really not so bizarre. It's still recognizably roman. It's when you start getting into characters like Arabic, Russian or Chinese or something that I get intimidated. :shock:

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Some funny words in my language:

Jää'äärne - next to the edge of the ice. I inserted a ' where when spoken the person would make a very tiny pause, well its not exactly a pause but rather a change in intonation.
Kuulilennuteetunneliluuk - reads exactly the same from front to back and back to front again. The sentence itself makes no sense though, it would mean something along the line of 'the hatch of the bullet flightpath tunnel'

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:10 am
Minor Diety

Hehehe. Czech has the (semi-nonsense) sentence "strc prst skrz krk" which doesn't feature any vowels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Str%C4%8D_prst_skrz_krk

- Coach

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:51 am
Felix Rex

lol, wtf. Bizarre pseudo-languages. :wink:

Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]