It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Tablets 
Minor Diety

Post Tablets
So i'm kind of in the market for a tablet PC and was wondering if anyone knows anything about these things.

At the moment I don't use my fixed PC at all, the only reason i'd use it would be for games but the Jade has taken hold of me almost completely. Only the thought of playing the MoW skirmish maps (gifted by Ox) and Skyrim (with mods that will only come around in 1-2 years time) gives me a tiny shred of hope.

What i do do [hehe] right now, is use my work laptop, but mostly on the sofa for email, job applications, skype, youtube, surfing and playing Rebuild 2 while chilling and watching TV. I noticed that something like a tablet would be much better for me since I feel using the laptop is heavy, clunky and slow. Booting up and powering down feels a tad 1995.

iPad is out of the window IMO because i can't play Rebuild 2 or watch football highlights and interview on the BBC website. At this moment in time, I would like to point out how enourmously gay it is that a computer giant such as Apple can't get it's shit together for something as crucial as Flash, for whatever reason.

So does anyone have any tips/info? I don't really have a budget at the moment. I'm looking at the myriad of products out there at the moment, but kind of stuck. Kinda bummed that iPad has no flash and is kinda pricey.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:57 am
Stranger

Post Re: Tablets
Unfortunately no first hand contact other than glaring at them in shop. Well i would say the three leaders in tablet market right now are Apple, Samsung and Asus. Where Samsung is more direct competitor to Apple, the Asus transformer prime does boast some unique features. But it costs a lot more than Samsung in its full glory.

The prime

There are ofcourse numerous other tablets you can look into but you have to do a fair bit of researching wether they fit your needs. These three come with all the bells and whistles available, except common sense. :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:38 am
Minor Diety

Who is that muppet doing the promo talk? His accent is hard to place for me. Australian? Weird British accent? Non-native speaker? Either way, apparently asus is pronounced 'esews'. I always thought it was 'ayesews. :roll:

Gotta hate all the goddamn ridiculous names he throws in there. Ultrabook? Asus zenbook? Ice cream sandwich? Cold industrial family feel?!! SHUT UP PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

- Coach

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:09 pm
Minor Diety

"Ahsuus" :?

I would have said by the accent, Australian, but by looking at him i'd say Kiwi.

Speaking of annoying voices, here in the office, some way away, some 30 metres, sits a guy I secretly refer to as "Cunt". I don't know him, but he speaks with one of those piercing "S's" every time he has to pronounce an applicable sound. One time I was working late and was pretty much the only person in the office except him, and his colleague. They were discussing something for about half an hour. All I could hear was a half-an-hour string of those "S's" and no words, because the words are low pitched and die out before getting to me. It was as if some squeaky trolley was being pulled around to torture me. I've highlighted examples so you can imagine just how annoying it gets.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:20 am
Felix Rex

lol, that must've taken forever.

And double lol at Ox's confusion at words.

ultrabook = new specification for high performance, low weight laptop. I think Intel came up with it. To be considered an ultrabook, you have to meet various criteria.

Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS). This is version 4.0 of the Android operating system, where they marry the tablet version and the phone version into one consistent package. ICS is being hailed as the most awesome version of Android yet. You may think "well, of course, it's the most recent version", but I need only say Vista and you can see that being most recent and being most awesome are not necessarily related.

Asus Zenbook is a laptop from Asus that is an ultrabook (I think).

Cold Industrial Family Feel - yea, that's just marketing douche.

Having not watched the video, though, I could be missing the whole point. :roll:

As far as tablets go, I currently plan on getting a Transformer Prime. It's got ICS, a great battery life (even greater with keyboard dock), it's the first tablet getting Nvidia's latest chipset (quad core + 1), and the previous Transformer apparently did very right by its customers. If you want a cheap ass tablet and don't care about performance, something like the Kindle Fire would probably be better, but I want high performance.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Ok, so far I think the Transformer Prime and Samsung Galaxy 10.1 are probably best for what I need. I'm probably doing to need some space for my music and a few videos, so a tiny SSD won't cut it. So I think i'm going to have to shoot for the 400 quid mark to ensure the quality and longevity. Might sell my PC... Hmmm.....

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:40 am
Stranger

Quote:
Might sell my PC... Hmmm....

BLASPHEMY, blasphemy I say. Ready the torches and pitforks, we're gunna hunt us a blasphemer. :D

Now selling your kidney is totally acceptable :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:57 am
Minor Diety

How much could I get for this?

Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 3.16GHz (1333FSB)
Asus P5Q-E Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-620HXUK)
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 PK PC2-8500C5 (2x2GB) CAS5 Dual Channel Kit (F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK)
Antec Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case
Samsung SpinPoint F1 640GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD642JJ)
Tuniq Core Contact Freezer CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940/AM2/LGA775)
Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM
Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 120mm Fan - 3/4 Pin

Bought the whole lot for about £800 in Nov 2008.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:14 am
Stranger

I'd say you get somewhere between a death sentence or a ban from clankiller, does that sound good for you? :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:54 am
Minor Diety

LOL. I can still rock 8 player coop MoW skirmishes on a tablet, can't I?

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:03 am
Stranger

Nope.

Tablets run Android op system, where as MoW and other games rely on directx and other windows related components. You can kiss your gaming habits goodbye once you go down this road.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:04 am
Minor Diety

As long as I got pr0n, i'm happy.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:09 am
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
lol, that must've taken forever.

And double lol at Ox's confusion at words.

ultrabook = new specification for high performance, low weight laptop. I think Intel came up with it. To be considered an ultrabook, you have to meet various criteria.

Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS). This is version 4.0 of the Android operating system, where they marry the tablet version and the phone version into one consistent package. ICS is being hailed as the most awesome version of Android yet. You may think "well, of course, it's the most recent version", but I need only say Vista and you can see that being most recent and being most awesome are not necessarily related.

Asus Zenbook is a laptop from Asus that is an ultrabook (I think).

Cold Industrial Family Feel - yea, that's just marketing douche.

Having not watched the video, though, I could be missing the whole point. :roll:

Haha, thanks for the breakdown. It's not that I was utterly confused at them per se (I more or less figured stuff like ICS was an OS etc), but the names are just so freaking lame. Ice Cream Sandwich, really? Zenbook? Who comes up with this shit. It's like they're trying to top Apple in ridicul-o-design terms. :roll:

And Derf, I gifted Satis and Peltz the new MoW skirmish pack during the christmas sale to play together - who knows with Teamspeak on too! You'll excuse me if I didn't buy it for you since you don't really play atm, but if you ever get a machine to play MoW: AS on I still owe you the pack, deal? :)

- Coach

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:30 pm
Felix Rex

Lol @ Derf abandoning his gaming ways. Next he'll be posting about Angry Birds. :roll:

Regarding Ice Cream Sandwich, Google names it's operating systems based on deserts, in alphabetical order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

1.5 Cupcake
1.6 Donut
2.0/2.1 Eclair
2.2 Froyo
2.3 Gingerbread
3.x Honeycomb
4.x Ice Cream Sandwich

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Don't know any deserts named cupcake :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]