It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
12 Innovative Solar techs. 
Stranger

Post 12 Innovative Solar techs.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-st ... ology.html

Go ahead and click, you lazy bastards, the first pic is of a half naked chick :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:27 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: 12 Innovative Solar techs.
Unsurprisingly, that was the only application I'd directly heard of before. Something tells me a solar powered bikini isn't much for swimming though...

- Coach

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:55 am
Felix Rex

wow, what a shitty gallery. It cuts off most of the text on the right. Anyway, I've seen some of those concepts, while others are new to me. I really wish there'd be some massive breakthrough in solar panel efficiency. Most of those little panels don't put out enough juice to be worth it. the airplane window one, for instance, is entirely worthless.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

UK gvt recently cut the incentives for building solar powered shizzle.

Go world! :/

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:33 am
Felix Rex

short term economic gain vs long term survival of the human race? Pfffft!

My government sunk $56 billion into airport security that is useless and annoying.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12/unsafe-skies

BTW, 'Satis being aggressively groped in airport' picture will be incoming at some point. :roll:

BTW, strangely enough, the airport pictured in the article I linked is where the groping I have pictured occurred.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Where's our Satis being groped pic?

And Derf, it's the same here. In the name of 'crisis' and 'the markets' (whoever the fuck they are) the government has done the exact same thing over here and massively cut into tax refunds for people and companies who want to install solar panels and installations. :/ Also, any ecology tax cut on efficient cars has disappeared into thin air. Gotta love politicians and their great long-term views. A few years ago, one of our governments found an ingenious way to even out the budget for that year: it sold government buildings to third parties and rented them back, a so-called 'sale-and-rent-back' operation. Neeless to say this is a hefty short-term income with horrible long-term costs, ideal to 'create' money to even out a budget.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and I told him "Why doesn't anyone seem to realize how insane that really is? How utterly criminal? Imagine your boss called you in and told you 'Phillip, I got a great idea to raise our yearly income: we sell our buildings and rent them back from the new owner! Brilliant!' You'd fall out of your chair. You'd think he'd gone crazy. But that is the reality of what happened there."

I should move to Germany, which not only is entirely self-sufficient in its energy supply (very much unlike Belgium), but does so with a continued and aggressive policy on renewable energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_ ... in_Germany

Quote:
Renewable energy targets

Since the passage of the Directive on Electricity Production from Renewable Energy Sources in 1997, Germany and the other states of the European Union have been working towards a target of 12% renewable electricity by 2010. Germany passed this target early in 2007 when the renewable energy share in electricity consumption in Germany reached 14%.[7] In September 2010 the German government announced the following new aggressive energy targets:[8]

Renewable electricity - 35% by 2020 and 80% by 2050
Renewable energy - 18% by 2020, 30% by 2030, and 60% by 2050
Energy efficiency - Cutting the national electrical consumption 50% below 2008 levels by 2050

The German Government reports that in 2010 renewable energy (mainly wind turbines and biomass plants) generated more than 100 TWh (billion kilowatt-hours) of electricity, providing nearly 17% of the 600 TWh of electricity supplied.

- Coach

Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]