It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Lasers in car headlights. 
Stranger

Post Lasers in car headlights.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/LED-Headlig ... 12426.html

Excuse me sir, can you turn on the cars headlamps, I need to correct my eyes..
There are laser tvs, google laservue.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:03 pm
Stranger

Post Re: Lasers in car headlights.
http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-laser-headlights/19760/

Here's some more on how its actually supposed to work..

Quote:
While the prospect of cruising down the highway, arming the lasers and blasting obstacles to oblivion might sound appealing to some drivers, BMW says the originally bluish laser light beam isn't emitted directly, but is first converted by means of a fluorescent phosphor material inside the headlight into a pure white light that is suitable for use in road traffic. Therefore, the intensity of the laser light wouldn't pose any risk to humans, animals or wildlife and the emitted light would also be very bright and white, making it more comfortable to the eye.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:47 am
Felix Rex

It's an interesting idea, but is it actually necessary? Seems you can get "very pure" white light directly out of an array of LEDs or something. The laser sounds like a gimmick to me. Hmm...according to your second linked article, it's up to 1,000 times bright and more energy efficient. *shrug*

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:33 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Yea but the implication towards fuel efficiency borders on madness. I think the fuel saving is comparable to spitting into the ocean. Even the gain from substituting halogen to led results in next to non-existent fuel savings. Its not doubt a gimmick in a short term prospective. But mankind has proven over and over that things that dont make sense now make much more sense in the future and probably in some alternate field altogether. Lazor sharks, here we come. :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:22 am
Felix Rex

You want to put headlights on my shark!? Oh... laser head lights. Yea, ok.

Who knows, maybe the energy savings are meaningful to an electric car, I don't know. Certainly not to one driven by gasoline or diesel, though.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]