It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
"Rock" your DVDs. 
Stranger

Post "Rock" your DVDs.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/M-READY-M-D ... 12173.html

Quote:
A new optical format uses a rock-like material for storing data rather than the typical dye-based layer used in current DVDs.

Quote:
Even more, this new format can be read on any DVD optical drive – it won't be limited to the upcoming M-READY drives

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:48 am
Felix Rex

Post Re: "Rock" your DVDs.
I really want one. Even if an 8GB disk is $20, it's worth it to know that my backups won't just fail on me when I need them... unlike everything else from hard drives to DVDs to USB thumb drives.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
I really want one. Even if an 8GB disk is $20, it's worth it to know that my backups won't just fail on me when I need them... unlike everything else from hard drives to DVDs to USB thumb drives.

Yeah but wouldn't it be a better guess to just divide your backups over a few USB, portable HD's and physical HD's to cover your bases, rather than splashing cash on something that'll only get better/cheaper in a few months' time?

- Coach

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:14 am
Stranger

Having multiple backup sources is always a good idea but there are so many concerns with other backup mediums.

1. Online storage - You are at mercy of their fuckups and failures.
2. HDD - Doesn't last and prone to failure, hdd racks usually get stolen during break ins because of the ease of turning into cash.
3. DVD - Very short decay time.
4. Thumbsticks - Shouldnt be even considered as a backup medium.
5. SD cards - Prone to damage from static electricity. Dont hand one to your friend so that you both touch the card at the same time, either drop it onto their palm or touch their hand first so the static discharges.

A good backup is:
1. Stored in a friggin box.
2. Doesn't need cooling.
3. Doesn't need power.

And this is exactly what the above mentioned tech provides. I am personally looking forward to this. It doesn't have to be this tech per se but something along the same lines, and if it can be read using any dvd player, well doesn't get much better if you ask me.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:14 am
Felix Rex

Yea, keeping data backed up is a huge pain in the ass. Something like this would solve many, many problems.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]