It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Ripping DVDs 
Stranger

Post Ripping DVDs
Any of you rip movie dvds. Any recommendations as to which program to use? I purchase movies on bargain prices, usually around 6€ and its getting out of hand. I want to store them in a box out of sight but there are some i like to watch again every now and then. So fire away.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:27 pm
Felix Rex

Post Re: Ripping DVDs
I use DVD Decryptor to rip DVD to iso images. Then I use MagicDisc to mount the images to a virtual DVD in order to play them back. As far as the PC is concerned, there's no difference between that and actually putting a DVD in a drive.

I ripped about 2TB of my movies... somewhere in the vicinity of 200 discs. Unfortunately I ran out of space on the drive, so I've got more left. I also ran out of space in my home theater PC, so I can't add more drives. Eventually I think I'll replace all the drives with 2.5 or 3TB drives and rip the rest, but that's pretty low on my priority list.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

The amount of rippers is beyond comprehension, so its either a shot in the dark or ask a friend.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:10 am
Felix Rex

Yea, there are a few I've tried that were decent. Alcohol 120% is pretty good and I've tried a few others. DVD Decrypter works really well (it's er at the end, btw, not or like I had in the first post). Ultimately, as long as it works, I suppose it doesn't really matter which one you use.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:02 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

The version of Alcohol i have couldn't copy protected DVDs. I downloaded the DVD Decrypter and managed to copy a dvd. Is there some way to reduce the size of the movie. I know how to create an image but i am a bit at a loss as how to reduce the size of it.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:35 am
Felix Rex

You can't compress the image, if that's what you mean. For all intents and purposes, it's a bit-for-bit copy of the DVD. If you're interested in compressing it or cutting out parts, you probably need a different solution.

DVDShrink is a good option. This'll let you pick and choose exactly what to rip... so you can cut out all the bonuses and other crap you'll never watch anyway. It also does compression... it'll squeeze an 8GB dual layer DVD into a 4GB DVD. It's been a long time since I've used it, but I'd check it out anyway.

don't click the obvious malware ad links :roll:
http://www.dvdshrink.org/what_en.php

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah DVDshrink gets my vote too. It's a pretty great tool,and seems to bypass most bothersome protection.

- Coach

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]