It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Subwoofer only works in Stereo Mode. [Resolved] 
Minor Diety

Post Subwoofer only works in Stereo Mode. [Resolved]
Right, this is something I've been meaning to get around to for a looooong time. (years!)

The basics are this; I have a set of Surround sound speakers, 5.1 - manufactured by "trust". I have no idea what model they are, as I bought them years ago! Further inspection reveals they are a TRUST 4000P 5.1 Home Theater System.

I'm not using them with the trust sound card (Though I used to have the same problem with this too).

Basically, when I run them in stereo mode (pressing the button in on the central control) I get loads of awesome Bass from the Subwoofer, and all 5 satelite speakers are running at a steady volume.

If I run it in 5.1 Mode, I get surround sound but absolutely no bass at all. However, if I go in to "sounds" in windows 7, and set it up to 5.1, run the tests and/or individually test the sub, I get a sound. A nice deep bass sound. I'm just using a basic windows driver from what I can see, but still if the individual test works on the sub, why isn't it working when I play a game or listen to music unless I put it in to stereo mode?

Any ideas welcome :)

Code:
Operating System
   MS Windows 7 32-bit
CPU
   AMD Phenom X4 9600   54 °C
   Agena 65nm Technology
RAM
   4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz  5-5-5-15
Motherboard
   ASUSTeK Computer INC. CROSSHAIR (Socket AM2 )
Graphics
   SyncMaster @ 1440x900
   512MB GeForce 8800 GT (nVidia)   67 °C
Hard Drives
   750GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721075KLA SCSI Disk Device (SCSI)
Optical Drives
   PHILIPS DVDR1628P1 ATA Device
   TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D163B SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
   High Definition Audio Device

EDIT: I went in to set up and followed it through, it gave me the option to select "full range speakers" for my satellites. Judging by the description, I unchecked these. It basically says that smallre speakers need a sub for backup, so I figured that if I uncheck it, then surely SOME noise would come out of the sub if I test the speakers using an MP3. But nope, nothing.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Last edited by Mole on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Post Re: Subwoofer only works in Stereo Mode.
other than being wary of any brand named "Trust", I can't say I have any idea. Their website doesn't even offer drivers... apparently they're quite certain the speakers will work fine with default Windows drivers. I also googled 'bass problems' and came up empty. The fact it works in test mode means your wiring, windows settings, and speakers themselves are all good, so I don't know. What program are you using to test the bass with? WMP? If so, it just totally rides the O/S settings, so there's not anything you can do to alter that behavior. If it works at all, it should work with your sub.

So...yea... that's a long way of saying I have no clue.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Heh, It looks like I went down exactly the same path as you. I googled "no bass in 5.1" and came accross a few people with the same problem. All of their issues were fixed by either fixing an error with which ports the speakers were plugged in to, turning the volume up on the sub or enabling the sub to support the sattelite speakers.

Now, the first two, I have done. I can test them as you already know, and they all work. However, the last one the "enabling bass support" I can't find a specific option to do. The closest thing I can find was that stuff about telling windows that my sattelite speakers are not full spectrum speakers.

I've yet to actually test it in something that fully supports 5.1 - so maybe it will work with that, but I need to find something that will let me try. Maybe it's just the fact the MP3's are recorded in stereo. Still, it seems a bit pathetic that all I basically have is a set of simple speakers, and I Can't find an option in windows to "add bass" to the sounds.

EDIT: Got it! Go to Sounds, Enhancements, Enable "Bass Management".

Just gotta play with the levels to get it right now, Getting too much Bass on the kick drum but not enough on the rest of the song!

EDIT 2: New problem, it seems to have completely killed my PC's actual output level. You know when you have the volume mixer up, and it shows you the little green bar? Well that is hovering pretty much at the bottom. (See attachement)

Now the system is by no means "quiet", it's more like a comfortable listening level. But I know this system can produce a near deafening sound...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rock Band [35%]

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Sounds like you have one of the advanced mixer options set real low. In Win7, go to your control panels, sound, and double click on your speakers. There should be a tab for levels... one of those is probably low. Awesome you got it working, though... congrats.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

That was my first thought. Well, that's a lie - the result of many thoughts. But I checked, and even if I turned every avialable option up to max, the system was still kicking out nothing in comparison to it's old ways.

Upon fiddling about, suddenly all audio switched to the headphone jack (despite a lack of headphones) and that screwy behaviour lead me to think "driver reinstall" which so far, seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for letting me bounce ideas about :D

Rock Band [35%]

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Post Re: Subwoofer only works in Stereo Mode. [Resolved]
Yea, no worries, glad you got her running.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]