It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
AMD fusion finally a realilty 
Felix Rex

Post AMD fusion finally a realilty
For those that never subscribed to the newsletter, AMD fusion was AMD's attempt to put a GPU on the same die as the CPU... so one chip doing both. Kinda like what Sandy Bridge does for Intel's chips, only not so shitty.

The results aren't spectacular, but they're better than integrated graphics by a huge margin. Good enough to play some games.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 991,00.asp

The key point is battery life and performance, of course... you wouldn't put this stuff in a desktop, but you probably would in a laptop.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post Re: AMD fusion finally a realilty
Sandy Bridge is for desktop too. Low-end users will be able to have better graphics capability on the same budget, as opposed to sticking with shitty integrated graphics.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:28 am
Felix Rex

yea, Sandy Bridge is for desktops, but its onboard graphics chip is a piece of crap. I meant AMD fusion isn't really meant for desktop, at least not yet.

In reality, Sandy Bridge, though they have desktop parts, is really only worth a crap in laptops, and even then it's just a small upgrade from the integrated motherboard graphics that came before. The CPUs are pretty badass.. the graphics part, pretty not. You're right, it's a step up from Intel GMA, but you can't game on it.

I'm looking forward to the next year or two, though, especially if Fusion gets some traction and AMD comes out with some higher quality versions.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Still anyone hunting for a laptop for multimedia experience including HD gaming should opt for optimus tech untill amd gets their gameface on.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:55 am
Felix Rex

yea, nVidia's stuff way beats out anything Intel or AMD have on offer. They really kick ass in many ways. I'm looking forward to what they're going to do with their ARM CPUs. I'm expecting some great things over the next few years.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]