It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Derf's Big Rig 
Minor Diety

Post Derf's Big Rig
Hehe... so last Tuesday I purchased a fairly large (32") LCD TV for 300 sheets, mostly out of impulse. A good TV is perhaps regarded by many as an essential household good, and one that I have been missing so I thought "fuck it, why not".

It's great. As a TV I suppose all it needs now is a sub to make the sound more enjoyable.

But, then I learned that you can actually hook up digital TV's to your PC... and this intrigued me. My monitor was standard 5 years ago, so nowadays it's considered borderline small. I think it's 17 inches...*checks* yes, 17. So to use my 32" TV as the monitor seems ... very intriguing.

I bought a HDMI cable and went home at lunch to test it, and it works. All I do is connect one end to my graphics card and the other end to the HDMI input of the TV, specify HDMI input from the TV settings and bam, done.

I was concerned about how usable it would be in terms of using the mouse, but this is directly related to the resolution, so no problem there.

I think tonight I may try move the TV onto my desk and fire up Men of War or something... and take a few photos :)

I wonder if any of you guys have tried this before.

If I like the results, I may consider options for setting up some kind of TV-PC combo. The big problem there will be how to make the TV height suitable for sofa and PC chair.

But anyway, im pretty excited about uber-screen gaming. 8-)

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:40 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Derf's Big Rig
You were playing on a 17" monitor all this time? Dang! And I thought O'Cram was the bum of the family. :twisted:

No but it sounds awesome, and I definitely want to see some MoW action pics (or SC2, basically any strategy-kind of game with an open battlefield :P ).

I was thinking about your plight yesterday: perhaps if you could position your couch and desk in the same direction with your TV mounted on the wall?

- Coach

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:03 am
Minor Diety

like this

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:06 am
Minor Diety

But then the height of the TV would be a problem, no? Too high for comfortable sofa viewing.

This is how im currently setup:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:54 am
Minor Diety

I'm not sure - my TV is on a higher point than my PC monitor. I figure, as long as it's big enough it won't bother you much.

Nice layout btw. :P

- Coach

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:37 pm
Felix Rex

If it works for you, go for it man. the problem with most tvs is their max resolution (but 1080p is 1920x1080, which is pretty good) and their response time. On fast game you may see ghosting as pixels take too long to turn off/on. However, as technology progresses, that's less and less of a problem. I'm interested to hear how it works for you.

On an aside, my 25" monitor, though smaller than your 32" tv, does a rez of 1920x1200, which is higher than 1080p. Does it make a difference? Not a huge one, probably. *shrug* And anything is better than a 17" monitor running... what... 1024x768? *shudder*

Oh, be warned, you may have to upgrade your graphics card to support the new resolution. My 8800gt did fine at 1680x1050, but at 1920x1200 it was incapable of adequate frame rates.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Well I hooked it to my PC desk the other day and almost got a migrane.

I was playing MoW but it was starting to hurt. I think the TV was simply too close.

I think going combo will require a custom wall mounted bracket, but at the same time, a room with less restrictions. The house is an old one, so it's not really arranged strategically for TV viewing.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:03 am
Felix Rex

ah, too bad.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]