It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Dwarf in mail trouble..Please someone help :-( 
Felix Rex

he's implying I'm full of it and making everything up. However, I'm not. I learned this while working for an ISP.. it's amazing how boring that can get.

Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:09 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

yea, I did tier 2 support for awhile. Then I supported the techs that did tier 2 support. Then I managed and supported the techs that did tier 2 support. :/ After I learned it all, it got really really boring.

Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I wish I had your initiative to learn shit sometimes, I want to know all there is to know about computers, but I just couldn't learn it at school, And I'm no good at self teaching etc. I love being able to show of what skills I have, but then I'm to lazy to get any new ones. I'd love to be a programer/web designer, that'd be soooo awesome.

I mean, I have borrowed Java book from caz, but you know, learning it my self aint my thing...

Rock Band [35%]

Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

As far as i'm a reference (marginally :roll: ) learning anything only works for you if you actually DO the stuff. So, in class practical sessions, on self-studying not just reading a book but being busy with what it's about all the time, and in a company by working with the stuff all the time. That also explains how (mostly old) ppl are able to use pc's without knowing the slightest thing about it. :wink:

If you're mildly intelligent (which i guess most ppl on the board are); you'll learn anything in due time like that. So, in short, get a goal/job/hobby which involves computing. :)

- Coach

Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:18 pm
Minor Diety

lol, easier said that done, when it comes to the fact that the only qualifcation that I have is an E at A level, people won't look to employ me in to that kind of job. Though I could get a job at some kind of computer company, then make their tea or something till I can learn the cool shit

Rock Band [35%]

Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Do tech support. We were hiring people off the street that had never used a computer before. It's entry-level... they teach you everything you need and pay you shite. :) But it's a foot in the door, and you learn alot. I knew jack-all about networking before I did tech support...or, for that matter, any O/S than 95, DOS and 3.1.

Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Exactly my point...apart from hypothetical shit like super-maths and science you can learn every trade from scratch on, if you're willing to midly apply yourself to it and have a decent intelligence lvl.

Anyways...what's that shit about ppl with an E at a-lvl not being able to do good jobs and got to college and blabla? Seems to me that the anglo-saxon school system is a bit of a mess; or at least a streberdriven system. I Never got a higher overall than 60% in my entire high school career; and passed in my final year with three grades under 50%; and i'm DAMN sure i'm smart enough to pass every friggin course they teach at uni. And my grades from highschool don't hold me back from applying for whatever uni or job; as they oughtn't. What a major ripoff. If i had been victim of the anglo-saxon system i'd be flipping burgers, prolly. Or join the army; the belgian that is, nice and easy; don't wanna end up in some kinda useless war in some hellhole with the US army, getting myself killed for something i don't believe in. :)

Sorry for the rant; i'll start a seperate topic in off-topic about this prolly.

- Coach

Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:25 pm
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
idd, i got nothing above a 'D' in my GCSE's at school, now i'm going on to do an HNC in electronic engineering. Bad results don't mean that you are stupid. some people apply themselves better than others. Others just can't take the pressure of exams..blah..

go for what you want mole, you just have to be bothered enough to go for it. :wink:

Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:46 am
Minor Diety

you know, you guys rule :D hmmm, this tech support thing could be for me you know, I mean, I love giving advice on computers and programs and shit, and If i didn't know the crap that was being asked, I could pass it on to my superior and then learn from him/her...

what sort of companies would I be looking at though... I doubt you guys would know what english based companies... or even english sections of companies would be looking for it... I don't think anything to reputable would be a good start point.

What sort of money does entry level fetch in?

Rock Band [35%]

Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:44 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

go for an ISP of some sort if you wanna learn about the internet and networking. Preferably a high-speed (cable/DSL) ISP. Dialup sucks. Otherwise, whatever, see what's available.

Entry level over here brings in between $9-$12/hr. More like $9 now. The money is total shit. But it's more the knowledge than the money, right? Plus the resume.

Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2