It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
My Intel x25M SSD learnings. 
King

Post My Intel x25M SSD learnings.
So when I put together my new machine a while back I could never get my SSD drive to update the firmware. Also I could never get the Intel SSD toolbox to do a trim. It always gave me an error message. I messed with it but ultimately, due to laziness, just gave up. My computer had been recently locking up randomly when gaming so I wanted to eliminated hard drive problems. I found out Intel has a new version of their SSD toolbox. Here.

When I installed and ran the new toolbox and had some new features. This time when I tried to run a trim it actually gave me an error with some feedback. Apparently the VSS(Volume Shadow Copy) service needs to be in at least MANUAL before doing a trim. I had it disabled. Trim ran successfully.

Secondly, I figured out how to update the firmware. I had a Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard here. It has 4 GSATA ports and 2-3 SATA ports. I had my SSD plugged into my GSATA port but it needed to be plugged into my regular ole SATA port. Reason being the firmware update program runs of dos. Im guessing, but whatever, I was able to update the firmware. After updating the firmware I plugged it back into my GSATA port.

All in all the drive runs even faster now, got a little more pep in its step.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:27 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

Post Re: My Intel x25M SSD learnings.
awesome, thanks for the info. due to laziness, I never even tried to do any of that crap. :p Maybe I should do it now.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]