It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
graphics card woes 
Felix Rex

Post graphics card woes
so, I thought I'd share my woes.

As I may have posted, I got a Palit gtx 460 2GB card awhile ago. Well, the card worked wonderfully...for about a week and a half.. then I started having issues with it. It took a bit, but eventually I realized it was the graphics card that was the issue.

So I took it back. Due to missing a quick start guide :roll: I couldn't return it to get a different card, so I just got another one.

That one lasted about 3 weeks. It, too, croaked. Stupid fucking graphics cards. So I took it back again. I've now upgraded to a gtx465 1GB from EVGA. I also upgraded my power supply from a 550 watt to a 750 watt PS. This was mainly due to a lack of a secondary PCIE power connector. So, now, I'm running the new card. Hopefully it doesn't die.

My advice... avoid Palit.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post Re: graphics card woes
The more PC's i'm getting through the more I fucking hate graphics cards.

Basically, they're the last thing you ever freakin' test when a machine fucks up but it nearly always is the graphics card that goes. (For me.) I guess they do a lot of hard work. Though I'd be fucking steaming if the card was that young!

Currently I'm getting blue screens on boot up every once in a while - which suggests (to me) either Ram, GFX, CPU or PSU is fucked - and I can't be arsed to figure out which. My CPU is fucked anyway. I bought a Phenom, which is 'quad core' but with a faulty third core - they later re-released the Phenom as a tri-core model. By disabling the faulty core. Colour me intel.

Anyway, sorry to here your troubles, keep us posted on the new one.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Yea, I'll let you know. I tend to go through graphics cards too. My 8800gt lasted several years, but by the end I had to keep the fan cranked up or I'd blue screen a lot in games. Heat damage, I guess. Plus I had an 8800gtx that died after 6 months. Heat death too. I guess the trick is to keep those cards freakin' cool.

On a positive note, the gtx 460 supposedly runs pretty cool on its own. I'm not running a gtx465, though... not so sure how it does. I may try to crank up the fan speed some. My case is pretty quiet anyway. And I'm thinking of adding a fan to the side... there's a spot for one, but nothing in it yet.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Mm, that does suck. And Shiny told me about network woes as well. You must be ready to shoot some manufacturers about now. :P No jury would ever convict you! Well...maybe not. But still.

I'd never even heard of Palit, but I sure don't feel like buying it after what you went through.

- Coach

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:34 am
Felix Rex

Yea, not so happy with Palit. they actually have really good reviews online... go figure.

Yea, our network took a shit too. Our router from our ISP failed. They overnighted a new one that we got yesterday, so I'm back up. For a day we were getting on the internet by tethering to our phones. :roll: It works, but it's kinda slow and very laggy.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]