It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Blaster Worm 
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
And dude, you got infected? Did the general sypmtoms occur?

yeah, a box popped up saying something like '45 seconds until your computer shuts down'. only happened like twice, and that was it, didn't keep doing it enough to mess anything up, but still damn annoying. :?

Return of the J wrote:
How you get virusses in from e-mail??

I mean if i see a mail from dunno-who with dunno-what attachment, i immediately delete it. even if it is from someone i know i delete it most of the times if i don't trust it.

zone-alarm pro pffff i can't even get my settings right, stupid thing blocks my laptop. so i just disable it .

yeah, trouble is it was someone i know from college sending a picture to me along with about 10 others, so you tend to get lazy and just open it.

thankfully nortons update sorted it out straight away.

Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:50 am
Felix Rex

:/ Blaster's a worm, not an email virus. It propogates itself by doing port scans and exploiting a buffer overflow vulnerability in DCOM RPC. Nothing to do with email. Unless there's a new variety, but it would have to be a complete re-write of the code.

Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

then thats a bit worrying. :? the firewall really should have kept it out. any ideas why it didn't?

Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:08 pm
Minor Diety

I haven't followed the whole topic, what firewall are you using?
I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall, it's free and I'm very content with it, except for the fact that sometimes it stops working and I have to reinstall it, but that is said to hapen only at a limited amount of users.

Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:13 pm
Minor Diety

then thats a bit worrying. :? the firewall really should have kept it out. any ideas why it didn't?

Cos it's a sophisticated worm. :) I repeat, firewalls are the biggest load of crap ever. :D

- Coach

Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:45 pm
Emperor

lol, i'll take your word for it. :D :wink:

arathorn: zonealarm pro.

Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:55 pm
Stranger

Id suggest also scanning your computer for w32Sobig.F@mm virus, we had a major trouble with that here in estonia, hell it even made it into the local newspaper :D

If you get any email containing .pif files or .scr then delete it immediatly. theres a 85% chance its the virus. Also the key text inside the email is: Please see the file attached or See the file attached.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:03 pm
Felix Rex

If your firewall is worth a crap, it should block it. If not, well....that's your problem. :) You need to be blocking TCP ports 135 and 4444. And supposedly also UDP port 69.

TCP port 135 is one of the file and printer sharing ports... 4444 is RPC DOM (which is the biggest problem) and UDP port 69 if TFTP, which is how the virus transfers itself to a new computer. The reason to kill TCP 135 is because it also attacks open shares, I believe. But if you don't have a network, you shouldn't have any shares anyway... and if you do, you'd be a moron not to kill access to those ports with a router or something.

Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

yeah, that was one of the things i've done since, blocked those ports, hopefully it won't happen again. :?

Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:08 am
Felix Rex

don't feel bad, my girlfriend brought home a friend's laptop that was spontaneously rebooting itself. I had no clue what was going on until I checked mconfig... msblast.exe. heheh. I thought that was pretty funny. So I manually cleaned it, removed a bunch of startup crap (starts in like 30 seconds now instead of 5 minutes) and even patched it for her. Patched my own machine too, just for the hell of it. :D

Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

nice, i'm gunna have to go in to that config and see what i can get rid off, but i'll do it using ur help me thinks, check the site and all. This comuter takes .. well last time I timed it, 2 mins 40 to start up, So gotta fix that.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Satis, the ports you mentioned, wich ones are local and wich ones are remote?

Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:03 am
Felix Rex

eh? Those are the incoming ports you need to close. Actually, you can close those ports inbound and outbound, I doubt you're using any of the services.

Yea, Mole, check my walkthroughs. I forget which O/S you're running. oh, btw, it's mSconfig, not mconfig... typo on my part.

Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Sygate Personal Firewall makes a difference between local and remote ports, dunno what that is, but I've blocked everything remote and local.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:18 am
Felix Rex

ok, it's talking about inbound and outbound. Local would be inbound, I'm sure, while remote it outbound. Kind of a wierd way to write it, but whatever. That's fine. Inbound is actually all you need to worry about, but having both doesn't matter either.

Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next