It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
GTKRadiant trouble 
Beggar

Post GTKRadiant trouble
hey!
i wanted to creat a map in Q3 and i found your GTKRadiant tutorial as my main tutorial :bow: but i encoutered a problem: when i saved file .map you said in your tutorial that we now need to go in bsp section and select -vis and -light. but i do not have those options yet all other things are the same.

here are my bsp options:

and here are those from your tutorial:

EDIT: i repaired images. they were not shown because i didn't use the direct link haha lol
oh and yes. thx for the welcomexDxD

Last edited by antestor on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:37 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: GTKRadiant trouble
Wow someone else but our crew made it to CK! Welcome. :)

SATIS HELP THIS MAN!! please.

- Coach

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:38 am
Felix Rex

Thanks for enjoying the tut. :)

I'm afraid it's been years since I used gtkradiant, but I'll see if I can help. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until I get home from work, which will be a number of hours from now. I'll post back when I can.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:15 am
Profile WWW
ok thx mate
no need to hurry^^

Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:53 am
Felix Rex

Thanks for the patience. Looks like they've changed GTKRadiant pretty thoroughly since I used it last.

Which tut are you on that suggests the -vis -vlight options? Looks like it's one of the earlier ones, so it's probably not too big of a deal which you take. The basic idea is just to have the engine render the level properly, so it looks like it would in a final compiled level.

From the options that are shown in your level, and assuming your level is still fairly simple, you're probably fine choosing anything that does a decent render. What I would probably try is the (test)BSP -meta -vis -light -fast -filter -super 2 one, or maybe one of the others further down. If your pc is decently new, the render times shouldn't be too crazy to start with, so you could actually try different options and see what you like the best.

Let me know how it goes and what option you think works best. I may update the tutorial to reflect the newer version of gtkradiant. Thanks again for reading the tut and posting.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Beggar

The newest GTKRadiant version is 1.5.0, but I used version 1.4.0 because some people were complaining about some missing brushes. Since I'm new to GTKRadiant I even don't what this -vis -light means or any other options, so I was a bit confused when I didn't find this options in 1.4.0 version:) Before I post I tried to guess which one is the correct one. But here come other problems.
I use Windows Vista x64 so basicaly I Q3A doesn't run on it. But then I found on the Internet a project called IoQuake3 which is Q3A made for Vista, Linux, etc. --> here's the link: http://ioquake3.org/
Everything works perfectly (I can add new custom maps, multiplayer/singelplyer is working, etc.) I was also able to install (duh:) GTKRadiant 1.4.0 into its diectory. But when I came to the last step in your tut where I needed to save my .map file comes the problem. I 'successfully' saved the map, but when I was searching for it in its directory I couldn't find it. There was just autosave.map file which contained this map (not finished of course). My map isn't in that directory that I saved in.
I tried out your recommended Bsp options, but like always the quake3 engine didn't start though I have configured GTKRadiant the same way as you.
So now I'm really lost and confused :| I don't want to bother you with my problems of course but I'll be happy any of your advice. Thx;)
P.S.: yes I really enjoyed your tut and I hope there will be more tutorials like this one:)
http://clankiller.com/games/quake/gtkra ... /index.php

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:09 am
Felix Rex

Hmmm... I'm afraid I can't really help out with your problems regarding gtkradiant and ioquake. All my mapping I did on WinXP.

There is an ioquake forum here:
http://www.ioquake.org/forums/viewforum ... 1e73c5ed9c

There's even a subforum about using gtkradiant with it. I bet you could get your answers there. Sorry I can't be of much help.

Regarding the tutorials, I actually created a whole series of 9 tutorials. I think they covered pretty much everything important. I had meant to eventually write a tutorial on performance optimization, but never quite got there. :roll:

http://clankiller.com/games/quake/gtkra ... /index.php

Something you could maybe try with gtkradiant is to run it as an administrator. Rather than double-click the icon, right click it and you should have a 'run as administrator' option, I believe. that way the program will run with full admin rights and, hopefully, let you write your file wherever you choose.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Beggar

Ok, thx for all mate 8-)
sry for bothering you^^

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:02 pm
Felix Rex

No bother. Good luck finding your answers. Post the solutions if you would, I'd like to know what the problem was.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]