It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
OLED screens for the masses. 
Stranger

Post OLED screens for the masses.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/OLED-Printi ... -6818.html

Quote:
Last week DuPont Displays said that it can print a 50-inch organic light emitting diode (OLED) display in just under two minutes. The new manufacturing process was revealed last week, indicating that large, high-performance OLED displays could be manufactured in quantities that should bring down the current high cost of OLED TVs. In addition, the displays are said to last fifteen years if left on for eight hours a day.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue May 18, 2010 2:21 am
Felix Rex

Post Re: OLED screens for the masses.
yea, I'll believe it when I see it. I'd love to see cheap oleds everywhere, but I seriously doubt it'll happen any time soon. Too bad.

Besides, OLED may already be obsolete
OLET may render OLED obsolete

Tue May 18, 2010 6:33 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

A good competition never hurts the customer - is my motto.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue May 18, 2010 7:20 am
Felix Rex

I just hope we don't get to the point where technologies are obsoleted before they can come to market. It would suck if no company is willing to mass produce anything for fear their expensive new factory will be obsolete before it even comes online.

I'm still waiting for cheap and highly efficient solar panels. I've been reading about breakthroughs on those things for years, but none have come to market. :(

Tue May 18, 2010 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPY7WYBt ... r_embedded

Here's a 14" laptop with amoled screen, about 30% transparent.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:57 am
Felix Rex

I wish it would have displayed a typical desktop with like Outlook, Word, a web browser, etc.

Technology like that opens up a whole new world, though. Amoled sun glasses with a webcam in front that can pick up what you're seeing and artificially enhance it? Highlight items, face recognition and put up peoples' names and how you know them. Calculate movement rates. All kinds of stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MeaaCwBW28

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

The screens are like really thin, what if they put 15 of them behind each-other and develop some soft to generate 3d. There would be no need for glasses.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:47 am
Felix Rex

Ah, I was thinking glasses just so you could walk around with them and have your pc artificially enhance your world for you.

3d, yea, definitely. A few layers is all it would take. That'd be pretty sweet. Not as awesome as a free-standing hologram would be, perhaps, but still awesome.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

I hope none of the actual developers read our forum or soon enough we will have ads on public transport windows, apartment windows, hell even on bottles and glasses, tables and shit, they'd even put ad on the eyeglasses of the bartender serving you.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]