It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Printers are indeed from hell. 
Stranger

Post Printers are indeed from hell.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

Ahh, i got such a good laugh out of this one. High tech world indeed.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:47 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Printers are indeed from hell.
Mmm. To be honest. Inkjets are thing of the past. I mean, why do people need to print colour anyway? Honestly there is no reason. I don't buy into that "print-your-own-photos" crap because it's simply not cost effective. It's cheaper and and better to have your photos professionally printed I say.

The last printer I had was an old laser printer (B&W only) and the thing was a dream. Super fast, super accurate, toner lasted a lifetime, printer itself was pretty cheap.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:06 am
Stranger

The HP laserjet 1100 i have here has been going for some 15 years. I am actually afraid to take it into tune up coz they might intentionally sabotage it :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:09 am
Minor Diety

It's true, printers are the devils work! Every damn printer I've come in contact with, every single one, has destroyed itself in an effort to annoy me! The ones I've owned (actually my last one wasn't bad but it had its moments!), the ones when I was teaching in school, the ones at work...

The ones at work are the worst, they use Brother laser printers and they are EVIL. I've worked in 3 stores now and know people in many others and NOT ONE STORE has ever gone more than a couple of months without printer problems. Half the time your toner plays up even though it's a new one, or it refuses to feed paper through. Heck just before Christmas ours decided it wasn't going to feed more than half a sheet through ever so we had the IT tech out to sort it. He swapped it for a new printer. Damn thing did the same thing! And we know he actually swapped it coz the old one was all yellowed and icky, this one was shiny and new without the graffiti that had occured to the old one.

Eddie Izzard sums it up nicely. It is 7 minutes long but worth watching. Printer stuff is approx. 3.20

Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I got tired of ink jets, so I spent the money to buy a color laser printer. We've since printed literally hundreds of pages using just the beginner cartridges that shipped with the printer (and are tiny in comparison to the full-size cartridges). It's still going with absolutely no problems. Plus it's a network printer (with wired ethernet) so no single PC has to act as a host... it just sits off my switch. The only problem I had was getting drivers for Windows 7, but that was fixed.

So, if you're sick of buying printers or $40 cartridges all the time, just bite the bullet and drop $400 on a laser printer. You will actually save money and aggravation in the long run.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:17 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Hah, you forget we live in europe, try $80 per cartridge. The hp1100 ones cost a hundred. Still its good for at least a few thousand pages. I had an ink jet as well, Canon Bubble jet 3000 or something. Unfortunately it wasn't used that often and the cartridge heads just dried up creating a very effective color stop. But that was at least 5 years back. Now i just send the color copies through email to the local print shop and problem solved.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:30 am
Felix Rex

that was the problem I had.... I print very rarely, so with my bubble jets I'd buy a cartridge because I had to print something, print maybe 5-10 pages... then the next time I went to use it, the freakin' thing wouldn't print because it dried out. So I was effectively paying several dollars per page in ink. It pissed me off something fierce, hence the laser printer.

If you don't need color, the B&W laser printers are even cheaper, though I don't know how the quality is. I was just so tired of being rode hard and put away wet by the rip off ink jet bastards.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/printer-i ... 33576.html

HP tries to explain why printer ink is so expensive.

The article itself is short and pointless, however the commenters pull of a few good blows as usual.
Quote:
Rab1d-BDGR:
"These liquids are completely different from a technology standpoint," said Thom Brown, marketing manager at HP, in a Computerworld story.

...Because people in the marketing department are, of course, the go-to experts on technology. :-P

Quote:
Flakes:
Quote:
Laser ink is the cheapest. I got for that.

laser printers use toner a fine powder, not ink.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]