http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3783
-Anandtech.

Conclusion: Not worth the price :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:27 am
Stranger

Post Re: Geforce 480/470 Benchmarked.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3783&p=20
-From the final words of Anandtech review.
Quote:
Moving on, we have the GTX 470 to discuss. It’s not NVIDIA’s headliner so it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle. With a price right between the 5850 and 5870, it delivers performance right where you’d expect it to be. At 5-10% slower than the 5870 on average, it’s actually a straightforward value proposition: you get 90-95% of the performance for around 87% of the price. It’s not a huge bargain, but it’s competitively priced against the 5870. Against the 5850 this is less true where it’s a mere 2-8% faster, but this isn’t unusual for cards above $300 – the best values are rarely found there. The 5850 is the bargain hunter’s card, otherwise if you can spend more pick a price and you’ll find your card. Just keep in mind that the GTX 470 is still going to be louder/hotter than any 5800 series card

Fermi’s compute-heavy and tessellation-heavy design continues to interest us but home users won’t find an advantage to that design today. This is a card that bets on the future and we don’t have our crystal ball. With some good consumer-oriented GPGPU programs and developers taking up variable tessellation NVIDIA could get a lot out of this card, or if that fails to happen they could get less than they hoped for.

Finally, as we asked in the title, was it worth the wait? No, probably not. A 15% faster single-GPU card is appreciated and we’re excited to see both AMD and NVIDIA once again on competitive footing with each other, but otherwise with much of Fermi’s enhanced abilities still untapped, we’re going to be waiting far longer for a proper resolution anyhow. For now we’re just happy to finally have Fermi, so that we can move on to the next step.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:31 am
Stranger

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-g ... 46-16.html
-From the conclusion page of Toms.
Quote:
While we’re sure the company wishes it was shipping 512-shader cards instead of pared-down boards, it’s hitting high-enough clocks to make GeForce GTX 480 and GeForce GTX 470 generally-faster than Radeon HD 5870 and Radeon HD 5850. This is especially true when you turn on anti-aliasing, as the new GeForce cards take a much smaller hit than their competition.

What about the bad? Well, getting your feet in the door here costs $350. A flagship GeForce GTX 480 runs $500. Radeon HD 5850s recently dropped back down to $300 and Radeon HD 5870s can be found around $400. Though the GeForce cards are faster than their single-GPU competition, the premium is hard to swallow if power and display connectivity are important to you, and less-so if PhysX, CUDA, or 3D Vision are more interesting. Do we expect AMD to drop its prices in response? Don’t count on it.

So, if you break everything down into power, price, and performance (meaning you’re most concerned with how GeForce GTX 480 and 470 stand up in today’s games), then today’s preview comes off somewhat underwhelming after the build-up.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:35 am
Stranger

To clear something up:

The ATI HD5970 is two GPUs on a single platform. So its physically a single card but technically two gpus.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:38 am
Stranger

I put all the tech information about the current GPU lineup onto one picture. Dont put too much faith into the price category as some of it is outdated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:55 am
Felix Rex

All my hopes and dreams, set on fire and raped like a Belgian woman during Bastille day.

Guess I'll be hanging onto my 8800gt for awhile longer. Here's to hoping that future games leverage Fermi's capabilities and make it worth the price.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Well in some of subsections of those articles is mentioned something about "locked capabilities." Not sure what they mean but no doubt once the home hackers get their hands on them we will see soon enough.

I kinda anticipated that the Geforce would beat its direct competitors by a small margin. Why? well After three years, Crysis is still the most demanding game on the market. If Ati and Nvidia would sell a card that totally owned that game, they couldn't sell the next generation because there would be no point in going past the 60 frames barrier. And it would be pointless to spend so much money for one to three games only. Only a fraction of gamers have above 19x12 resolution and even smaller number of them have a monitor sporting 120hz. It would be suicide to sell such a product. Unless the games develop a sudden dramatic necessity for more horsepower (which they wont because of a) consoles where the profitability according to industry rumors is up to 5 times larger than on the pc and b) money is where the masses are or in other words at the industry average) we won't be seeing any more doubling of the performance in comparison with the direct competitor.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]