It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Services 
Duke

http://www.clankiller.com/tech/WinXP/servicestweaks.php

Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Felix Rex

The best way to shut off services is through the computer management applet in XP. Technically you can do it through msconfig as well, but I prefer the other way.

If you've actually deleted the services, or if they don't show up in the computer management services applet, then they're not being run. What services are they, and how do you know they're running?

Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I already thought you would have been there already (that's prolly also the way you found the forum).

To repeat satis (as you appaerently read past that), how do you know they are running?

Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:43 pm
Felix Rex

there has to be a way, but I'm not entirely sure how. Here's what I suggest, though...

run regedit, then do a search for your service names (the ones you want to delete). I assume they're something fairly specific that won't get mixed up with other, legitimate stuff.

Any mention of the service in the registry, delete it. It's in there somewhere, I guarantee it, I'm just not sure precisely where. I'll let you know if I come up with anything more concrete than that.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

ok, I think I may have found it. Open the registry and check here:

hkey_local_machine / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Services

see if you can find the offensive services in here and completely delete their entries. I'm thinking that should do it. Let me know if it works for you.

*edit* and hey, some more information. Since these are apps your company is making or whatever, here's something for your coder people:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;822445

it's how to make an uninstaller remove the services automatically. :)

Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

hey, good deal. Glad I could help. I may just add this to the tweak guide eventually, since there appears to be some demand. :)

Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Yes that tweak guide is very useful, i managed to run Shadowbane beta for around 6hours before it totally froze the computer. Without it 1,5hour was a bloody miracle! :D. That beta had really really bad so called memory leaks.

Every new computer that i install or have something to do with, i suggest going through atleast some of the steps shown in the tweak guide. The last section which consist on disabling services i usually avoid on other ppl computers, god knows what they want to run on it :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]