It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Need a bit of techy help 
Man at Arms

Post Need a bit of techy help
Rightio..I would need to be able to open an MS-DOS prompt (Command file or something ?) for editing, I used to be able to do this with notepad or somesuch program before..But no longer.

The "open" option is simply not in my drop down list anymore, only some lame virus scan option 8)

Its probably something easy as a configure setting somewhere, but I´m just too dense with these things.

Help please ? *Tries pevils puppy eye technique*

Oh I´m on Windows XP home edition btw.

Tue May 27, 2003 11:45 am
Duke

Tue May 27, 2003 12:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Minor Diety

Tue May 27, 2003 12:21 pm
Minor Diety

Tue May 27, 2003 12:45 pm
Man at Arms

Oops yeah this is the appropriate place..Thanks !
(see how dense I am with these things ?)

Thanks pig, but um that doesnt really tell me alot :(
tell it to me like I´m an idiot (cuz I kinda am with this :lol: )

I´ll try and explain better maybe..Right.

I have on my desktop a little icon, it looks kinda like a minature windows window :shock:
and a cute yellow cogwheel or something inside.
It says its an MS-DOS somethingorother

Now when double left click this, its supposed to (by some mysterious magical way) compile a file into another kind of file (this has to do with custom map making in BOD) In order for it to do this properly I need to edit the path to where the un-compiled file is, and specify where it should place the compiled version.

I used to be able to right click and choose "Open" or "open with" or something to that sort, with notepad..Thus bringing up a line of text in wich to edit the path (wich by default is a bit wrong)

Now the "open" option is not in my drop down list anymore :cry:

So..Um what to do exactly ??

Tue May 27, 2003 2:46 pm
Felix Rex

This opens notepad.

Drag and drop the file you wanna edit onto the notepad window.

That should do it for you.

.....alternately.....

if it's just the path statements you need to change on the shortcut, right click, go to properties, and change the path statement there.

I'm not really sure what kinda file you're dealing with. If it's a config file of some sort (that's what it sounds like) the first way will work. If it's an executable that you have to pass commandline arguments to, the second way is the way you'd do it.

Tue May 27, 2003 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Man at Arms

the first one seems to work.

the path is not to the dos thing itself, but to show whatever magical force that converts the map file to a file the game can read Where is the map and where to put out the compiled result ?

After consulting with fellow map-makers I have found it is supposed to be a dos-bat something file, but this seems to be something completly else.

Hopefully it will still do what its supposed to 8)
Thanks ya´ll !

Tue May 27, 2003 7:05 pm
Felix Rex

ah, ok, if it's a .bat file, you'd want to do the notepad thing. Batch files rock. I'm a master of the bat file, since noone else seems to know DOS any more. heheh...maybe I'll get lucky and get a job playing in DOS. That would totally rock. :)

Tue May 27, 2003 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

satis, you really are a freak. lol. tho i have learnt VERY BASIC dos commands for doing my java modules...tis kinda cool.

oh, and CD, give me my puppy dog eyes back! *yoinks them*

Wed May 28, 2003 7:44 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I'm old. I started playing on computer in 1986. There wasn't anything other than DOS (and apple, BLECH!). Besides, I was a dork as a kid. :)

Wed May 28, 2003 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Lol, yeah Pev you baby, even i am from the Dos-generation hehe :p ;). Altho i don't know too much dos anyhoo. And i also claim to not have been a dork. :twisted:

- Coach

Wed May 28, 2003 10:15 am
Minor Diety

you may not have BEEN a dork, but you are now :P haha

anyway not my fault! I've had a speccy since before I was born, and an Amiga for a looooong time but only for games. I only got my first PC on Nov 30 1999! So I'm only learning, bless me...what DOS do I know...

cd
cd . (or ..)
mv
javac
java

er...that's probably about it #cough# i know more commands in linux, but still not many.

satis, what's wrong with apple? apart from games not being very widely made available for it *grr*

Wed May 28, 2003 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

dude, I hate the Apple. IMO, an Apple is basically a computer for people too stupid to be able to use a PC. PCs perform faster, have a better software selection, a better hardware selection, are cheaper, and you can build one yourself (gasp) or buy one from a large number of suppliers...not, one. mrmph. Maybe I'm just a snob, but I see absolutely no reason for Apple. For years Applers claimed that Macs are better for graphics, but there was some benchmarking done a bit ago that blew that theory out of the water. So, basically, Macs are overpriced, unpowered PCs with a prettier GUI and no command line. Well, OSX has a commandline if you can find it, but blah. I never liked FreeBSD either. :)

oh, and it's "move", not "mv". "Mv" is the Unix/Linux command. heheh. Like cp and ls and rm and stuff (as opposed to copy, dir and del).

Wed May 28, 2003 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

and meh, move, mv...what can i say...i never use it! :P you knew what i meant...hehe. ooh i can chmod in linux *looks proud* lol.

Wed May 28, 2003 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

hehehe. Good work. :) chmod confused me still. Just the numbers. I think I figured it out, but I usually end up poking around till I get the desired effect. heheh. weee

Wed May 28, 2003 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next