It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Mr. Peltz's New Computer 
Felix Rex

well, even there you can see optimization as a rolling thing. IE, take a look at the optimization of a game when the console is first released and then games from several years later. In my experience, the graphics get better, the gameplay gets smoother, etc. Because you have to squeeze more bang into it to make your game look new and shiny compared to stuff from 2 years prior.

Fri May 30, 2008 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah that's basicly what I meant. On consoles developers have to find ever newer ways for optimization to satisfy gamer's lust for ever greater graphics, but on the pc you're just supposed to upgrade.

Fri May 30, 2008 10:10 am
Stranger

I think i lost my 8800gts. This morning the rig didnt boot up, so i switched back to my 6800 and it booted fine. Damn.

EDIT: well it powered up now, i hope it was just some dust caused error.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:07 am
Felix Rex

yea, it sucks to lose a graphics card. I thought my 8800gt died a couple days ago... turns out it was just a really bad crash. I got no video after rebooting, but then I turned of my pc for 30 seconds and booted up and it was fine. Freaks me out, though.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Awhile back by now i found out what was wrong with my gpu. I tightened the gpu to the case with a screw, like they are supposed to but apparently this caused the gpu to bend slightly (im talking about a fraction of a mm here) and this was the cause why my rig wouldnt start on some days. What would happen is that gpu fan was on full but no picture in the monitor and it wouldnt even boot up just make lots of noise. So i removed the screw and it works ok.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:36 am
Felix Rex

sounds like really poor design of that card. I've never had a problem like that and I always tighten down my gpus...seeing as one time I didn't and I managed to pull the gpu out of its socket while screwing with the vga connection. :P

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Post Re: Mr. Peltz's New Computer
Well it is done, I have a new used GPU.

I bought a used 9800 GTX+ for 1000Eek or $80 / €64 / £55 . I played a round of L4d2 from start to finish on advanced and it worked like a charm.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun May 09, 2010 11:53 am
Felix Rex

awesome, congrats. does this one screw down properly? :roll:

Sun May 09, 2010 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Nope. This one tilts, err well, it causes one end inside the lane to raise whereas the previous card bent downwards. The problem is not with the cards or the mobo, its the Shark case but it works for now. However the 9800gtx+ fit so closely in there, there's not even room for a cigerette behind the card so had the power connectors been at the back like old cards have i would have been fucked. Had that been the case i would've had to pull out a metal saw and i even hate to think about it.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon May 10, 2010 2:35 am
Felix Rex

haha, ok. At least it's working. Sounds like you need a new case for your next build. :roll:

Mon May 10, 2010 6:46 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Doing a minor upgrade:

1. SSD - 180gb vertex 2 from OCZ
2. Win7 - Because XP has become so slow and apparently after format i have to call somewhere to get a new ID number for XP license.

I'm also keeping an eye on the local used parts market for AMD cpu but nobody wants to sell em, there's buttloads of i5's and i7's but they are all too expensive. I have windows already here on my table but the SSD arrives on tuesday.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:46 am
Felix Rex

awesome... you're going to be amazed at the SSD. It's insane what a difference it makes. Good on your upgrade to win7, too. It's seriously better. It requires a lot more RAM, though... you need about 1GB for XP to really fly... with win 7, you need like 4GB. But RAM is cheap and it's so worth it. Just be ready to relearn some things... it changes some stuff for the better, imo, but for people used to xp for 10 years, it's a change.

What's your CPU? You already have a quad core, right?

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Nope, still on my E8200@3ghz.

CPU: E8200
GPU: 9800gtx+
RAM: 4gb
HDD: Soon to be SSD

Don't really need much more, the max res on my display is 1400x1050(native) or 1440x900. Can't run crysis or metro on max but most games run just fine and look fine as well. If i were to buy a new gpu it would probably be a Gtx550.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:39 pm
Felix Rex

I want/need a new GPU, but I run at 1920x1200. I'm waiting for at least one more generation of cards... if I were to upgrade now, I'd gain about 25% for a $250 card. I want double that before I'm willing to drop the cash.

I think shiny just wants me to upgrade, since she knows she'll get my current card when I do.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Hahaha, she's a scavenger like me, unfortunately i hunt for bargains online because i am the only computer person in family. If something is left over it is because i left it.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next