It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Mr. Peltz's New Computer 
Felix Rex

if you're looking at upgrading mobo/cpu, I'd recommend Intel over AMD right now. Intel just out performs and is pretty cheap. Just get a decet mobo and a bottom-of-the-line core2duo... I think the socket's going to last awhile so you can upgrade it as you get money or need better performance. You can even go quad-core.

As far as gfx cards are concerned, the power connects are the standard molex connectors like you use for CD-ROMs and hard drives. I just daisy chain off my case fans. :p

I'm still personally happy with my 8800gtx, other than it seems to overheat sometimes. It's better since I replaced a dead case fan and got all the accumulated funk out of its heat sink.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

AMD Opteron 180 Denmark 2.4GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 110W Dual-Core Processor

Doesn´t make it more available though.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:56 pm
Stranger

1.So what should i be looking at when comparing two motherboards?

2.How big a difference is there between lets say nforce4 and nforce5

EDIT: Ok i see my mobo supports DDR400 memory but the new gpu's are already in DDR3.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:28 am
Felix Rex

Which motherboard to get depends on a few things.

1. CPU. Obviously a mobo can only have one type of cpu socket. So the first stop is what cpu you want to be running.
2. Chipset. Once you know what cpu you want, it's up to the chipset. There are typically several chipsets out per cpu at any one time. For the Intel chips you'll see an Intel chipset, an nvidia chipset (nforce), an Asus chipset, and maybe some others. The only way to know which one to get is to do some reading up on the internet. I'm a big fan of nforce (drivers are great) but I think Intel's chipset is current higher performing. I dunno, you have to read.
3. Features. Once you know your chipset, you can look at the various mobo manufacturers' offerings and find a motherboard with the features you want. Some may have an extra RAID controller, others may have more USB ports, etc etc. Some of the higher-end boards have a ton of configuration options in the BIOS for overclocking, for instance. Plus you want a mobo manufacturer from a reputable manufacturer that doesn't have a lot of issues.

So, there's the skinny. In most cases people make a brand preference and stick with it. I like nforce motherboards manufacturer by Asus and Abit, for instance, just because I've had good experiences with those. Other choices are just as legitimate.

Regarding the memory, don't confuse video memory with system memory. Current graphics cards use DDR3. Most modern systems use DDR2 for system memory. I believe nvidia just came out with a reference board that can use DDR3 for system memory as well, but it's not the standard yet. Graphics memory and system memory are entirely separate. Your motherboard won't affect your on-board graphics memory... it'll only affect graphics memory if you're using shared mobo memory for the graphics card which you'll probably only be doing with a crappy graphics card.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

So exactly what on my CPU would be bottlenecking a lets say for example a 9600gt geforce? Im having a hard time understanding this :D

Usually i just go into shop, here's the money, thanks and bubye. But my supplier went bankrupt so now im forced learn some of this stuff :D

EDIT: CPU is AMD 64 3200+; 2ghz

Quote:
keep an eye out for the dual-core Athlon64s. Should be socket 939 compatible with a bios upgrade, and the pure power....

Satis posted it on April 29, 2005. Why oh why didnt i read that comment like a year ago :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:42 am
Felix Rex

That's not dual-core, is it? There's the first problem... at this point the world has pretty much moved into dual core. And the differences (especially multi-tasking) are pretty big. Like, really really big. Then there are more esoteric things like L1 cache (the more the better), L2 cache (same), L3 cache if it exists. Here's some info on your processor line.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Pro ... 48,00.html

Here's some (old) info on core2duo. Ignore the prices, they're way off.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/0 ... ocessors/1

So, anyway, cache makes the CPU faster (we'll leave it at that). There's also the FSB which is the speed that the front side bus operates. The faster the better (we'll leave it at that). There's also a lot of other stuff like single versus dual memory controllers and such.

Typically, if you don't want to learn this crap, it's a good idea to just check out review sites and see what processors are getting all the good headlines. Tomshardware and extremetech are some good places but there are plenty of others. They usually review the top-of-the-line so go for a chip with the same architecture but an older / cheaper version, keeping in mind that you don't want something with a massively nerfed l2 cache or FSB or something. A merely reduced clock speed is fine.

Man, this turned into a novel.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
Well done though, I tried to explain it and it came out as a load of crap :D

Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:47 am
Stranger

Well i completed my first minor upgrade. Im now behind a brand new ASUS LS201D LCD monitor. And it looks good.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:16 am
Felix Rex

congrats, welcome to the world of LCD! :) I love my LCD monitors. I will never go back to tube. I love my LCD television too.

a bit off topic, but I upgraded my xbox360 from component cables running at 720p to HDMI running at 1080i. The difference is stunning.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

There is a really good chance i can get my hands on Athlon 64 3800 X2 cpu.

Now i need a "Total idiot guide: how to change a cpu". Im fairly sure that the above mentioned cpu is without a cooler, its just the chip. And ofcourse its used.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:10 am
Felix Rex

Is it the same socket as the previous cpu? If so, it's not too hard.

1. Remove old cpu cooler
2. Remove old cpu
3. Clean new cpu and put on some thermal paste
4. Put new cpu in socket.
5. Put cooler back on.

If it's a different socket, you need a new motherboard. Regarding the cooler, your old cooler may be good enough. I dunno.

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Yea i specifically looked for the same socket. So i need some thermal paste, do they come in different shapes/sizes/density/whatever?

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:37 am
Stranger

Hmm seems that either the games or the LCD has problems with 1400*1050 resolution. When i try to play games in that reso, the picture is rapidly vibrating up and down.

ET:QW
X3 Reunion
COD4

So it seems its the monitors fault.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:19 am
Felix Rex

hmm, sounds like your LCD doesn't support that resolution. It is a bit of strange rez to be honest. With an LCD you're best off using the native resolution if you can, otherwise it's interpolated. For instance, mine's 1680x1050.

Regarding thermal paste, I just stick with arctic silver.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

I have a tube at home I probably bought 5 years ago. It doesn't take much at all.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:37 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

1400*1050 is the max reso the LCD supports, and i already tracked down the problem to SLI. When i disable SLI, games run fine @ 1400*1050. If i turn it back on the vibrating comes back.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next