Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Anti-virus Suggestions 
Duke

Post Anti-virus Suggestions
go go go

Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:58 am
Profile YIM WWW
Minor Diety

1. Norton causes more problems that it solves.
2. Mcaffee doesnt do anything.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:54 am
Minor Diety

I have Norman virus control, and I'm pretty happy with it.

But I've got it free from my mother's company (she also uses this pc), so I don't know whether it's free or if there is a freeware version of it.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:51 pm
Minor Diety

I got McAfee, always found it useful. But when they bring out a new version they stop giving you updates for the older versions. Which sucks coz it's expensive to upgrade!

Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I dont think mine works. I mean, i can see the little icon in the bottom right, but it never tells me anything. It doesnt even bug me about upgrades. Hmmmmmm perhaps i should sort it out. Nah.

Oh, Zone Alarm, for me is quite an effective Firewall. And its free too, so are its updates.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:52 pm
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
agreed, i have zone alarm pro and its pretty shit hot.

i also have nortons antivirus 2003 and i've never had any problem with it. :?

Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:02 pm
Super Moderator

Thu May 01, 2003 2:33 am
Felix Rex

I think they're basically all the same. IMO, unless you're an idiot and blindly open attachments or download questionable software, antivirus is kinda superfluous. Pig, however, needs antivirus. :D

Thu May 01, 2003 3:18 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I've had problems with a nasty virus just now so I wanted to delete all my temp internet files (because that's where it keeps showing up). Now in my local settings there is a folder Content.IE5 with a lot of sub-folders with the names of weird letter combinations. Can I just delete them without killing anything that I'm not supposed to do or must I delete every file in it and keep the folders at their place?

And yes, I'm an idiot, but I've downloaded nothing special lately. :P

Thu May 01, 2003 4:03 am
Minor Diety

As long as there arent any Windows files in those folder you can a have a jolly good go at it.

Thu May 01, 2003 9:11 am
Minor Diety

Well the folder is Content.IE5, wich sounds like Internet Explorer (espescially because it's in Temp Internet files), but also odd because I have IE6

Thu May 01, 2003 9:38 am
Felix Rex

I'm pretty sure you can just delete them entirely.

If you wanna test it out, just move them somewhere else. If your computer freaks out, boot in using safe mode and put them back. If it doesn't, delete them. :)

I'm fairly certain they get recreated by IE, though. Like, 99% sure. So just axe the bastards. Thing is, if a virus keeps "magically appearing" in there, you've got problems that deleting a few folders isn't going to fix (well, the Windows folder maybe).

Thu May 01, 2003 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Deleting the Windows folder may solve most problems, but it's not wise. I haven't heard my virus scanner screaming about it yet, so I hope it's over.
In the meantime I have an other problem. I downloaded an other anti-virus program, and it found a troyan called openme.exe, and because it couldn't remove it the normal way I choosed to delete it.
But now every time I log in I get the message "not able to start openme.exe." :x
And that stupid programme is not listed when I run msconfig. Any other options to prevent Windows from wanting to load it?

Never mind, problem solved.

Thu May 01, 2003 2:29 pm
King

I dont use it but my friend does. Says its good stuff. I use Mcafee personl virus scan. Once my membership runs out Ill get bullguard.

Sun May 04, 2003 9:42 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

In those situations, there's a couple things you can try (future reference if nothing else). First I'd search the registry for openme.exe. Then I'g use msconfig to look at the autoexec.bat, config.ini, system.ini and win.ini. If it's not in there...ernmmm....dunno. I'd have to think of something else.

Sun May 04, 2003 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next