It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
ADSL router and Ethernet card problems 
Minor Diety

ok well now on mine i see Bob (my comp) and Stupid (steve's), but if i try to view the properties of Stupid, i get told the server Stupid isn't available. 1. it isn't a server. 2. Bob isn't showing on steve's comp, he can only see Stupid (himself). This is getting ridiculous.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

just make sure the computer names are short, the desription field is empty, and the workgroup names are the same. If that's the case, just keep rebooting the computers until it works, or something.

There are alot of weird issues with networking win98 and winXP. Little problems, little inconsistencies. If you really get flustered, you can try 2 things.

1) Wipe out the 98 box and install XP.
2) Use the XP network setup wizard.

The networks setup wizard will let you configure your network connection for XP (duh), but it will ALSO allow you to put all this stuff on a floppy disk. Boot your 98 box off that floppy and it automagically gets configured properly for your network. WOOOOO.

So, I've never done that (never needed to) but you could give it a try. The Network Setup Wizard is located in the network properties.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

well we'd tried that xp wizard thing but that still didn't work. Anyway, just to keep you up to date, this is what's going on as best i can tell. i've left mole to it though coz i'm just too pissed off with it so don't know exactly but:

mole's comp (win 98) has now accepted the ethernet card, is connected to the router through the card, and is connected to the net through the router. my computer (win xp) is a gay little twat that refuses to even run the (crap) quick set-up program that allows you to access the net through the router, and is just being a bastard. but mole is on its case now.

Started this at about 1.00pm Thursday 5th February 2004. As of 8.28pm (same day) we're STILL not finished. I hate computers.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

by the setup program, I assume you mean the setup for the USB drivers for that router? Well, not much I can say about that. Maybe check their website for newer drivers.

btw, not that you probably need to hear this, but never (EVER EVER EVER) get anything with USB that you want to work steadily. Like a network card or internet connection. USB in my experience is great...unless you try to use it continuously like with a network connection. It's awesome for printers/scanners/etc etc... even surprisingly robust for mice and keyboards (with the occasional hiccup that really pisses me off). But stick with ethernet or wireless when it comes to networking. Preferably ethernet.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
King

Get a Dlink or a Netgear router. And upgrade your 98 to Xp, this is 2004 man!

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:02 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:19 am
Minor Diety

98 to XP - not yet, when i get more hard drive, and i'm gunna have a dual-boot system (hopefully)

And now the situation is this

My comp connects to the net, through an always on connection, through the Mentor Router.

If I plug in Pev's ethernet line, it shows up on the router.

We have scrapped the USB.

All we "should" have to do now, is run "quick set up" This will only run, if the comp detects the router, apparently. (The USB would detect, but wouldn't work, apparently windows XP does not like the usb device for this router, stick to ethernet)

With the ethernet plugged in, the quick set up won't work. HOWEVER> I have concluded that you only want to quick set up on one comp. Like so.

Quick set up: Gives comp connectiong to internet.
Quick set up on other comp: Gives that comp same connection to internet.

So it should overwrite my settings.

When you have the router plugged in, you are supposed to go to "http://10.0.0.2" and enter a password.

On my comp (0nce ethernet card worked) it worked fine. But with caz's comp, it tries to connect to the net, not the router settings.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:41 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Ok...do you or do you not have an internal ethernet connection for your router? Or your dsl modem? Because I could've sworn you told me before that the only way to hook a computer up to the router or dsl modem was via usb. Now it seems you're saying otherwise.

ARGH!!! Fucking customer!

"What version of windows are you running?"
"Windows 97."
"No, that doesn't exist. Maybe you have Office 97, but that's not what I'm interested in. Is it win95, 98, 2000 or XP?"
"Windows 99."
"No. That doesn't exist."
"What were the choices again?"
"GAH! Fucking die!" BANG!

Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

router has internal modem for ADSL. Can be attached to comps by a USB port or there's 4 LAN ports, plus of course your phone port.

*puts drink into drink holder then realises it's a CD tray* ;)

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

obviously you have the phone -> router thing set up right, since you have one computer online.

You probably have the computer -> router connections right, since one computer works. (assuming they're both hooked up the same way)

Which means that problem is with Mole's piece of shit computer. :P He has two nics... do they both work now? Or just one?

Make sure they're set to DHCP. If only one works, make sure the cat5 cable is plugged into the right one. If it STILL doesn't work, you have issues.

:)

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:53 am
Profile WWW
King

http://www.dlink.com/configurator_v2.0/ ... orID=dlink
There you go. Fill out the info, then the diagram it give you at the end should be how your network should be set.

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:55 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

and what two nics are you on about?

and its XP that just wont bloody "accept" that it IS connected to the router/modem. bastard. *checks link*

I coulda told ya that much 11. (except the fact that my Modem and router are the same and one)

Rock Band [35%]

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

wait, it's the XP box that won't connect? I thought it was the 98 box. :/ I'm just getting confused now.

Er...that's pretty goofy. It IS set to DHCP, right?

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

God knows what is going on. I found a web page thats tells you what to set all the things to, and tried that and still my 98 connects, but not XP. it's screwy.

Rock Band [35%]

Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next