It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Small rant 
Minor Diety

Post Small rant
So I ordered a new 4 TB Samsung SSD because they are dirt cheap these days...arrives on time, looks fine, all good. But apparently they don't come with a) screws and b) cables. Wtf?

Yeah, I know you don't really need to fix an SSD in place but it feels ridiculous to deliver it with premade holes for screws and then not deliver the screws with it. On top of all that, it turns out I don't have any SATA cables in the house. :evil: I was convinced I had at least 5 of them somewhere, but apparently not. It's one of those things that you always find several of until you need them, then they're gone. :roll:

I'll get one from a friend of course but jesus what is it with manufacturers delivering just the product and none of the accessories these days. Like how most smart phones aren't delivered with a charger anymore. If it was something that wasn't essential to using the damn thing, then fine. But wtf am I gonna do with an SSD without a cable, or a phone without a charger?

/rant over

- Coach

Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:08 am
Stranger

Post Re: Small rant
Did a quick look on WD, Samsung and Crucial webpages and indeed none of them have 'What's in the box' section. I think they don't package screws because the bracket sellers have them. No idea on the cable though, probably to keep the profit margins.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:44 am
Felix Rex

Yea, I haven't gotten cables or screws with HDs for a long time. I do tend to get an excessive number with the case and motherboard though, so maybe the reasoning is you should already have some from those sources. I wish they'd include the screws at least, though. Nothing like scrounging through my stupid screw collection trying to find screws that fit so I can put a drive in the tray for my NAS.

Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

If I didn't buy a new PC every 10 years I might have, but clearly I don't :P

Having some issues with adding the new SSD, think it might have to do with the PSU (even if it shouldn't really matter which slot I plug it into). :? But I'm getting a big paycheck next month so maybe I should just buy a new PC...

- Coach

Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:22 pm
Stranger

If the new ssd is not showing in bios, you need to check the cabling. If it does show in bios but not showing in windows, you need to go to disk manager and assign a partition and a volume to it before it is usable.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:18 am
Felix Rex

Nothing to add to that. Peltz is on the money.

Though I must say that m.2 SSDs are pretty freaking awesome and the days of SATA SSDs are numbered. :P

Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

While technically true, SATA will not be going quietly into the night any time soon. And it has to do with the issue that PCI lanes (which M2 factor drives use) are a shared and limited resource while SATA is somewhat not, at least when compared to PCI lanes but it has its own limitations. So storage like NAS and Backup servers are going to be using it for a long time because of scalability and low price.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]