It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
n44b question 
Minor Diety

I'll have a peek, thanks...would you guys recommend using a seperate box to mess around on? If so I'll look out for one at sales or something. I'm considering buying a backup pc anyway that's (pretty much just) capable of running XP and connecting to the internet in case my pc craps out, which it might be doing somewhere soon. :roll:

I need my interwebs!! Cold turkey is the death of me

- Coach

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:12 pm
Felix Rex

nah, run it on your current box. Make sure you're behind a router, though. :P

oh, and WAMP is cheating.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Duke

cheating? Depends on what your priorities are. If you want to learn how to set up server software (not a bad thing, IMO - I have to do that at my current job), then learning how to install Apache, MySQL, and PHP is a good thing. If you just want to start learning how to program, them WAMP is a good option. Honestly, you will find more immediate use out of programming than server set up. Plus, anyone that would let you have shell level access to their server would be an idiot, so it's not like they are going to let you. FWIW. :p

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Felix Rex

haha...you bastard. I think it's a good thing as it introduces you to important concepts like php.ini and httpd.conf, which otherwise you would barely | never touch. However, the settings in there and totally make or break your programs. :)

Pig's right, though...WAMP is quick and easy.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Duke

FYI, I was referring to Ox with the comment about shell access.

Yeah, it's a trade off. If the binary comes compiled without something you really want, then your are fux0red. If you can get by with their boxed solution, then you are OK. You can still edit the php.ini regardless.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Minor Diety

Mm...I suppose I'll go with the WAMP thing then, cause my interest in and/or use for setting up servers is rather limited for now. :) I'll be happy to just get started with PHP at first, hehe. I usually tend to want to run before I can walk, but I'll probably keep it simple for my first steps in this direction, having never done any work with software. Not that my hardware skillz are that 1337 but I can do the basics. When I'm not accidentally unplugging my casefan. :?

- Coach

Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:55 am
Felix Rex

hehe...that's cool. WAMP will set you up with everything you need, including a MySQL database. Trust me, PHP and MySQL go virtually hand in hand...if you want to make anything even kinda cool, you need a database.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2