It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
objects, inheritance, and method/property types 
Felix Rex

Post objects, inheritance, and method/property types
ok, for those unaware I've been crash coursing in C# recently and have been kneck deep in object oriented code lately. I've got a few questions for clarification...they're probably just OO, but C# has pushed them into my mind.

Basically, with asp.net with c#, using code-behind pages, there's a website-wide class in effect. Then every page has its own class that inherits the main, site class. I never did this in PHP, but in C# it's damned near required.

So, anyway, I noticed the following:

If I create a method or property (variable) in the site-wide class and call it private, it's not accessible via inheritance. If it's public or protected, it is. I guess that's by design.

Now...what's the best design strategy? For methods I'm kinda stuck...they either need to be protected, public, or I need to recreate them in every page-level class...the latter is retarded. So...protected or public? What's the difference? Does protected just not allow me to overload the method, or is there more to it? And of course, public I'd be able to call from outside and inherited class...can I do that with protected also?

How about variables? If I'm just sharing variables internally, should I make it protected, or public? Or should I make it private in the class and build a get/set method for the inheriting class to use? More importantly, why?

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Duke

Properly designed, there should be no need for public properties. All properties should be private or protected, and accessed via public functions. This makes sure nothing accidentally fucks with your properties (which can be a pain to debug).

example:

class foo{
private $bar;
public function get_bar(){
return $this -> bar;
}
}

That might seem silly, but this allows you to do additional processing, as well as lock down your class so the only way in or out is to go through your methods. For example, you could have a method to get a variable from the database. You could get that variable on the fly using the method. Even if that property was static, having it abstracted with a method could allow you to change the database, table, or field and it would be transparent to the rest of your application. You don't ever want some other class to access properties directly.

Method should be public if they have to be called from outside the class, private if they are only called from within the class, and protected if they need to be inherited.

So for your example, all methods that need to be accessible by your program should be public. The methods in your parent class should be protected if they need to inherit. Otherwise they should be private. Again, properties should not be public. They should be private unless they need to inherit, in which case they would be protected.

A word of caution, some languages define protected differently. Some use protection only when you explicitly say a class extends another class. Others will allow classes in the same dir to access (fucked up, no?)

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Felix Rex

heh, that's cool. I appreciate the response. Looks like I may need to do a bit of rebuilding. :p

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]