It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Rinox's adventures in Skyrim 
Minor Diety

Post Rinox's adventures in Skyrim
Well, this thread will make my post in Pevil's thread semi-redundant but...a friend was ever so kind to gift me Skyrim on Steam, and I'm installing it right now! :) Yay yay!

I expect to be playing soon!

- Coach

Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:58 am
Stranger

Post Re: Rinox's adventures in Skyrim
So you are calling your wallet a friend now :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:01 am
Minor Diety

Let him have his imaginings, poor guy needs to pretend someone likes him ;) Anyway yes I did notice today on Steam you had it so get out there and give those dragons some beat-downs Ox-style!

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha jesus I'm not sure what it means when two people separately assume that I'm even sadder than I pretend to be :P

It's still downloading...shouldn't be long nopw tho

- Coach

Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:01 am
Felix Rex

That's funny... when Ox told me yesterday that he might be getting it from his friend, I said I was surprised he had any friends. We're either all heartless bastards or Ox really is a social outcast. :roll:

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
That's funny... when Ox told me yesterday that he might be getting it from his friend, I said I was surprised he had any friends. We're either all heartless bastards or Ox really is a social outcast. :roll:

I think it's a little bit of both. :) And I just realized "Rinox's" in the title is shoddy English, if not incorrect. Whatever.

So...I started playing. I haven't done TOO much yet - like Satis I'm mostly running around and not doing massive quests - but I'm at level 6 or so, if that's any indication. My character is a male Argonian (no joke), with a penchants for smithing and alchemy. He's also wielding a one-handed axe and a shield for now, much like Satis' character, but occasionally uses a bow with (poisoned) arrows to death tougher opponents. :P Argonians aren't exactly well-suited to the climate of Skyrim and are discriminated against in most parts of the Empire, but their racial ability to breathe underwater, heal at an accelerated rate and their resistance to disease makes them interesting nonetheless.

You'd be surprised at how much the waterbreathing helps. I don't know how long you can typically hold your breath with other races underwater, but I spent a lot of time exploring pools and in submerged parts of fortresses already, and with some great success. :) I also prefer to swim and dive through the rivers in the valleys, which helped me find a few underwater places/things and helps on foraging fish and clams. Not to mention how it keeps me off the radar of dangerous fauna and bandits while travelling.

At the start of the game
I followed the Imperial soldier
...no particular reasoning, I was confused by the events and just went after him. Not that I regret it though, he showed me much kindness in the fallout of the event. I ended up in Riverwood and explored in and around the town. I came accross a cabin in the woods owned by a witch, who then attacked me after I went into her basement so I hacked her down....it was self-defense! I used the cabin basement as a base of operations for now, since it has a few crafting tables, but it's pretty squalid so I need another place to stay. Like I said in Satis' thread, I may join the Legion for a bed and storage place. We'll see.

I cleared one or two dungeons, both beautifully constructed. One of them had adept necromancers in it, which was a bitch...lucky for me the necromancer chick switched to melee as I came close, allowing me to overpower her. When she was hitting me with spells she was pwning me hard. :o I'm currently following the river South to Faelkrith (or something), the same direction as Pev's bf went I think. I came across a place that had a wildgrow of Nirnroot and other rare plants, and an alchemist's camp with a log saying he studied the effect of the concentration of plants on the ecosystem downriver. Coolio. :)

Btw, I told Satis about this, but I was attacked by three hired thugs who wanted to 'teach me a lesson about stealing' and they were carrying a contract on them from someone named Moira sayig they should beat me up or kill me. I had no idea who and/or what issued the contract, but if this is a built-in mechanism to make you pay for your thieving (if spottted I suppose), then that's really cool. :) The fight was extremely hard at my level too. It's a little 'silyl' in the sense that I actvely tried not to steal too much...I only stole like 15 items all game or so, half of which were from the dead witch' cabin after she died. :roll:

Other things worthy of note:

- love the new crafting stuff
- the inventory was confusing at hell at first and still not ideal, but much better than Oblivion
- I was disappointed and confused at not being able to choose skills in the early game and having everything depend on my race choice, but I can't say it's been more than annoying at that time so far. Seems to work for the game
- playing on 'ultra' with full AA and not a hitch in the game whatsoever. Engine looks really streamlined
- I had to change the FoV to 90...I felt trapped in the standard FoV. Try it, and you'll see the difference.
- disabled mouse smoothing too. Mouse dragged too much, as if I was playing with the xbox controller 'view' button.
- this looks like an absolutely amazing game

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:18 am
Minor Diety

I chose the same as you Ox at the start, pretty much for the same reason. I was basically just kinda going "ARGH I'M GONNA DIE" *dive into nearest door* Niall (bf) also had the same note as he has done a LOT of thievery but his was signed by a kid called Knud; he then went to talk to the kid but couldn't confront him about it at all. Would've been nice if you could kinda go "oh, what's this huh? Wanna make something of it?" *kick kid in face*

Damn you running in ultra. Love the screenshots though, beautiful :)

Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, I would have killed the NPC if I know who it was. Like, sneak in at night and stab them in their bed. Alas, I don't remember who it was... :(

I played some more...I arrived in Faelkrith (sp?), buggered around a bit and got a quest that led to my first Daedric artifact. :) It's not something I would really wear though, so I may sell it or keep it stored until I have need of it. After that I went for a long, loooooong walk through the tundra, where I ran into some giants and mammoths and basically ran for my life after attacking one of their mammoths. :P I hunted elk, foxes, rabbits, deer, wolves...and then I saw a lone Mammoth during a thudnerstorm at night. I stalked up to it with a poison arrow, and right before I was going to shoot I was pounced by two sabre cats! Since I was holding a bow and they were both mauling me I was getting owned, so I quickly drank a few healing potions and decided to run straight towards the mammoth I was stalking...it heard the commotion and turned around towards us. I ran straight past it, hoping that if i push out a small sprint the sabre cats may devote their attention to the mammoth. And they did. :D They attacked the giant thing and it defended itself, impaling both on its tusks. With 30-40% of its health left, I felt it was my chance to strike and attacked it. I shot like 20 arrows into it and had to move in for a melee kill losing half my health, but I beat it. :)

With all those animal hides I made my way to the capital (forgot the name) where I crafted and smithed like crazy, ending in some nice coin AND my first Dwarven breastplate (made it myself from Dwarven ingots, superior quality). :) Then I went in to the imperial army's barracks to sign up with the legion...to be continued.

(I'm sure a lot of other stuff happened in the meantime, but y'know! This was the most important stuff :P )

Screens!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:07 pm
Felix Rex

Rinox wrote:
Satis wrote:
And I just realized "Rinox's" in the title is shoddy English, if not incorrect. Whatever.

I actually think that's correct. Rinox is singular and all... so Rinox's is technically correct, though Rinox' is acceptable. The fact it's an x and not an s makes it even weirder.

At any rate, good to hear about your progress. No screenshots of yourself yet?

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah I was pretty sure both are correct but one is the lesser used form...and thus frowned upon a little.

I'll take some pics of myself tomorrow. :P

- Coach

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Minor Diety

Love the epic mammoth hunt there Ox, well done on taking the beast down! Solitude is that place, that's where Niall has ended up; I love the way it is built over that rock bridge.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Quote:
I'll take some pics of myself tomorrow.

Oook. Best keep those to yourself :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:49 am
Minor Diety

I'm pretty sure I'm still a prissy little Argonian compared to everyone else here...I keep my ass kicked on a regular basis and have to run all the time. From certain groups of bandits, from mammoths, from giants, from snow cats (those fuckers are hardcore). I must be level 13 or so now. I'm an accomplished smith (around 40 skill level) and good at one-handed combat and heavy armor, but that's all I can do really. Oh and this amulet of dibella boosts my speechcraft to 44 so I persuade quite a few people too!

But seriously, I spent almost all my time in and around Solitude yesterday...doing small local quests mostl, but I also spent ages trying to do a quest to get me into the Imperal legion. I had so much trouble doing it - these bandits were tough as hell - that it makes me wonder if I did it 'before my level' (if such a thing exists). Those goddamn two-handed weapon users ugh...one of them is easy if you got the space. Just dodge their really slow swings and smack them over the head in the counter. But if there's 2-3 guys crowding and blocking you, you're bound to get hit or sliced pretty hard. That's what happened with the guards outside the place i was supposed to liberate. :/ In the end I just ran and went back to Solitude to make better equipment...a full Dwarven armor set and Dwarven war axe and shield (all superior quality).

So in my new armor, I went back to the place and took care of the outside guards a little easier. But then I had to clear the inside of the place. There were only maybe 6 people in total, some of them puny bandits I could hack down in 3-4 swings, but others were again massive warhammer swinging manbeasts. :roll: And this time, I wasn't fighting them in the open where I could 'dance' around them, this time it was in a small 4-by-6 room. So, I go in, hit him a few times, and bail out to the courtyard again, fully expecting him to follow me out. But...he didn't. I could just regen, go back in, hit him, back out, regen, back in, etc. It felt horribly cheesy, and it was massive cheese of course, but what do you expect me to do when they won't follow me out through a single unlocked door? I really can't take the punishment of a warhammer swinging giant (not a real one :P) and a bandit chief at the same time in a small room. They just closed me in and hit me to death in 4 seconds, impressive armor or not. :( So yeah, in the end I semi-cheesed the last opponents and liberated the fort. I swore an oath to the Empire and the legion, and got my standard-issue legionnaire armor. And even though no one SAYS you can use this or that bunk or place (little disappointed at that), it appears that I can now bunk in beds at any legion barracks, and even take some of the goods and weapons lying around there. :) So I stored books and cool armor I'm not using in a footlocker there until I got my own home.

That was the biggest part of yesterday...shortly after, I (somewhat) unexpectedly ended up in another Daedric quest. It looks like I'm gonna have fun with this one. :)

Some pics...including me in my new armor.

- Coach

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:47 am
Minor Diety

I tried using that cheesy 'run through the door' tactic for one of the companions quests; it worked the first couple of times then the third time I went in he'd regenerated all his health :( Btw don't worry about being puny, I hit level 18 last night and considering I have ~40+ heavy armour/block skill I still regularly get my ass handed to me.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:21 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

hmmm..I'm like level 13 or 14 now, but I rarely get my ass handed to me. My companion with his big ass warhammer and heavy armor keeps me safe. I can usually get some thing's attention, then dance around avoiding hits while my buddy bludgeons them to death from behind. He actually one shots a good deal of stuff. :roll:

Anyway, grats, you imperial army dog.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next