It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Elder Scrolls V 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Elder Scrolls V
Ox hit it on the head, I could care less about the elder scrolls stories, if they were so memorable and amazing there would be no need for comparison threads. It's all the random stuff and different approaches we'll all take that make the game so fantastic for me. Oblivion's "normal" world compared to the awesome huge mushroom mage town in Morrowind didn't help it feel so epic though...

Saw that post yesterday Ox, some interesting sounding skills/perks in there. Not sure if I'm going to like that system, but then again Morrowind didn't have the 50/75/100 perks for skills that Oblivion did and we got used to that.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

The best part about Morrowind is that it wasn't idiot-proof yet, ie it actually had a world that was hard(er) to get around in based on your skills. For example, travelling between towns was posible through silt striders and mage guild teleports but you needed to pay for them - and have enough mage guild standing for the latter. Even so, not every backwater town or location could be travelled to directly, some required walking over roads or cutting through the wilderness.

As a mage, you could use speeds spells, levitation and a variation of mark and recall teleport spells to get around, very handy. Even as a character that wasn't particularly good at magic you could try and brew potions or enchant items. Everything made a lot of sense. The high point was of course the tower of the Telvanni wizard, which had several floors and platforms but no stairs...since an archwizard doesn't use fuckign stairs when he can just levitate to the top and back down, of course. That was a stroke of genius. (Beth was smart enough to have several levitation scrolls in chests nearby for fighter characters of course)

For me, the "you can teleport anywhere that's marked on the map from any place you like" of Oblivion took a lot out of the experience. It's better to provide some means of fast travel and give the player some freedom...now you just took a quest, saw whereabouts it was on your world map, click nearest marker and WOOSH, off you were. Then you did the job and did the same back to the city or town you got the quest from. Eh.

(also, I want mark and recall teleport spells back in Skyrim. What sense does it make for a mage to always 'fast travel' to the city gates if he or she could just teleport right into their house or guild? Walking like a peasant, not very mage-like)

- Coach

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:21 am
Felix Rex

Moved to elder scrolls. And I, of course, agree with Oxy. I wonder if that's one of the things that made Deus Ex so great... all the freaking walking. Because there was a lot of it in the hubs.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah...I think the illusion of distance can do an RPG game a lot of good. DX:HR's hubs weren't very large but the fact that you have to walk and find your way around them definitely added to the experience. The same for Vampire: Bloodlines' city hubs. They got it right. Clicking map and fast-travelling everywhere is very immersion-breaking.

P.S. if this system is the same in Skyrim...I might make a mod to make it more Morrowind-like. Like some centralized transport services and maybe a spell, but no universal fast-travel.

- Coach

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:15 am
Felix Rex

Rinox wrote:
I might make a mod...

:roll:

Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, well it's not like this should be hard...change the majority of fast travel markers on the map to mere icons, maybe implement a spell or item or two and a travelling system...depending on the models that come with the game, that shouldn't be too hard (a boat, balloon, horse cart, whatever). :P

I actually made a few mods for myself for the TES games and the Fallout 3, but they always came down to a personalized lair...so not very game-affecting.

- Coach

Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:03 am
Felix Rex

I'll take your word for it. Having never made a single TES mod, I have no idea how complicated it is. I would imagine that adding structures/items into the world wouldn't be all that hard, but changing game behavior is a different thing entirely. But who knows. Of course, we won't get to sample your modding abilities until November... 2012. At the earliest.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, shit I didn't even consider that. I can't make a mod for it without actually owning the game first. And if I make it in a bazillion years then no one will care, and my fame and subsequent kajillion dollars from Bethesda will not materialize. :roll: Mm...something to consider.

- Coach

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:36 am
Minor Diety

Yeah I hope fast travel is out, I never use it in Oblivion, absolutely refuse. I can't discover awesome stuff if I'm teleporting all over the place. Silt striders are fine, or even if they just had more mage portals, that at least can be explained. The only way to explain fast travel to some tiny, godforsaken cave is if you had a mage mark a rune to recall to! But no, they took that out... *sigh*

Yeah, anyway, Ox you're unemployed again, go get the game on day one and make us all awesome mods for it :P

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

pevil wrote:
Ox you're unemployed again...

again or still?

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

:P It used to be still, then it was again and now it's still. :roll:

Ughh. You're making this hard on me (Skyrim). I'll see what my financial situation is when the game comes out...if I get a decently paying job by then I'll throw caution to the wind and spend a massive 50 €, deal! ;)

- Coach

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:02 pm
Minor Diety

He's always unemployed, I still see him as the guy stuck in uni for 10 years... ;) haha

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

haha, yea. He should really go back and get his PhD, then teach. It matches his personality and lack of ambition. :roll:

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Pfff...PhD's are for suckas! I'd do better to get a few more years of experience in whatever field I end up in, and then apply to some overpaying international or European organisation. :roll:

- Coach

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:53 am
Felix Rex

Skyrim hands-on from Wired

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/10/skyrim-hands-on

a lengthy quote and most (but not all) of the linked article
Quote:
Here’s a journal of my three-hour tour.

1:15 PM – It begins. I’m in a cave, naked and alone. The Bethesda rep tells me that we’re about 30 minutes into the game; they skipped past the intro because they don’t want to spoil any plot points. They don’t realize that the only plot point I care about is murdering townspeople.

1:16 PM – I choose to play as a Nord, mostly because I am terrified of creatures that don’t look like me. There are no classes or other specializations to pick, so I can only identify as a Nord. A naked Nord.

1:20 PM – I exit the cave and wander around Skyrim’s frosty tundra, breathing in the gorgeous pinewood forests and snow-covered mountains. I use my fists to take out a small rodent. I am a living god.

1:27 PM – While strolling along a road in the tundra, I run into a friendly hunter. My first thought is that facial animations look much better in Skyrim than they did in Oblivion. My second thought is that I should steal his horse.

1:32 PM – I move much faster now. After exploring the wilderness for a few minutes, my new horse and I discover an abandoned temple with a giant, gaping hole in its roof. It looks kinda like the hatch from LOST. We are intrepid adventurers, so we decide to drop down the roof hole and search for delicious treasure.

1:33 PM – Turns out this temple is not abandoned. There’s a forest spirit thing here, and it is mad. Time to bail.

1:34 PM – My horse won’t fit through the temple’s front exit. Since there’s no way to climb back up through the roof (and I have yet to purchase the downloadable horse wings), I leap off my horse and run. Goodbye, fair steed. You shall be missed.

1:40 PM – After fleeing, I stumble upon an orc fortress called Cracktusk Keep. I am immediately attacked by orcs. Being naked has many advantages, but fighting off orcs is not one of them.

1:51 PM – With some help from the world map, I make my way to a woodland village called Falkreath. (You can only fast-travel to cities you have already discovered on foot in Skyrim. This is a major improvement over Oblivion, which let you zip between all major cities as soon as you hit the overworld, killing a lot of the fun of exploration.)

1:55 PM – While playing around with my menu screens, I realize that I’ve been holding an extensive array of weapons and armor this entire time. I save the game and then take out my anger on the townspeople of Falkreath. I am instantly killed by the guards.

1:56 PM – Fully clothed and armed to the teeth, I head back to Cracktusk Keep, where I start slicing up orcs with my iron sword. Combat feels like Oblivion crossed with melee from Fallout: New Vegas. Pressing the left trigger brings up my shield, to either block attacks or smash baddies in the face. Tapping the right trigger performs a normal attack with my right-handed weapon, while holding it down for a second or two unleashes a heavy-duty power move.

There are also cinematic finishing moves, which are neat to watch but a little bit jarring within the context of a fast-and-furious battle. The camera quickly zooms out as I stab enemies in the chest, instantly killing them no matter how much health they have left. Jerky camera movements can be disorienting when there are orcs behind me.

2:10 PM – Dozens of dead orcs later, I reach the boss of Cracktusk Keep, an armorclad warrior named Ghunzul. He kills me a few times, but eventually I take him down. In his bedroom I find a key to the keep’s hidden treasure vault.

2:18 PM – The treasure vault is filled with traps as well as the shards of Mehrunes’ Razor, a powerful dagger from Oblivion. Presumably I’ll be able to undertake some quest to restore the dagger to glory. It will be very helpful for killing townspeople.

2:22 PM – I decide to walk back to Falkreath, slaying bandits and other annoying vermin along the way. I encounter a haughty noble couple en route to a wedding party. The man mentions that they are carrying lots of expensive gifts.

2:23 PM – I finish looting their dead bodies.

2:26 PM – While exploring some more, I run into a few slowdown issues, which remind me that this is a Bethesda game.

2:30 PM – I finally arrive back at Falkreath, where I take the time to have proper chats with everybody instead of just killing them all. Villagers in Skyrim are more interesting than the ones in Oblivion. Many of them seem to have in-depth personalities and mini-quests, much like the characters in Fallout: New Vegas.

2:35 PM – I meet a man named Sven, who agrees to become my follower after I help him win the heart of his crush. He doesn’t know what he’s in for.

2:41 PM – Falkreath’s shopkeeper asks us to help him find the golden claw that somebody stole from his shop. We agree to track down the thief at Bleak Falls Barrow.

2:45 PM – We have reached Bleak Falls Barrow. I tell Sven that I hope we don’t have any bleak falls. He does not laugh.

2:55 PM – As we traverse through the twisty caverns, we are attacked by undead warriors called Draugr. Though they go down relatively easily, there are a lot of them.

3:00 PM – Uh oh. R.I.P. Sven.

3:10 PM – Alone and almost out of health potions, I continue navigating Bleak Falls Barrow. Occasionally I find a puzzle, or a neat item, or a gigantic spider that kidnapped the thief who took the golden claw. I swiftly kill both, taking the claw for myself.

3:15 PM – I decide to play around with the new perk system. After each level-up, I can select one perk from a number of different skill trees that are divided into specializations like Heavy Armor, Restoration Magic and Archery. I choose to focus on one-handed weapons, turning my Nord into a one-handed slaying machine.

Though the system is neat, navigating the skill tree menu can be a little bit annoying. The cursor tends to snap to places I don’t want it to go. Still, I love the idea that I can customize my character in any way I want, rather than sticking to some rigid class structure.

3:28 PM – The final boss of this dungeon goes down easily, and soon I have the dungeon’s ultimate treasure: a “word of power.” Though I can’t use it yet, this word can be combined with other words to create immensely powerful abilities called dragon shouts.

3:36 PM – I return the golden claw to the tavern back in Falkreath and briefly note that Sven got killed and they should probably send someone back into Bleak Falls Barrow to recover the body. I say sorry, then head north for more interesting pastures.

3:45 PM – I arrive at Whiterun, a hilled city that strongly resembles Edoras, that horselord stronghold from Lord of the Rings. The art direction in this game is fantastic. Every city and dungeon I’ve seen so far has its own style, and I love absorbing it all. But there’s no time to explore. I’ve heard rumors that there’s a dragon flying around, and I have decided to kill it before my demo ends half an hour from now.

3:49 PM – I meet the “Jarl” of Whiterun, who I deduce is the leader based on his big chair and bigger hat. He gives me some money and tells me to help fight the dragon outside.

3:55 PM – While rearranging my inventory, I drop some heavy armor. The Jarl’s steward walks over and asks if he can have it. Minor touches like these make Skyrim feel like an actual world populated with actual people. Which can sometimes make you feel worse when you kill them.

3:57 PM – I’m off to face the dragon outside of Whiterun.

4:02 PM – I find the dragon. He kills me.

4:06 PM – I die to the dragon.

4:09 PM – I die to the dragon.

4:14 PM – I die to the dragon. Demo’s over.

4:17 PM – Dejected and miserable, I leave the demo room, mind racing with serious doubts about my masculinity. I couldn’t kill the dragon. What’s wrong with me? Am I terrible at playing videogames? Am I terrible at life?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next