It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Elder Scrolls V 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Elder Scrolls V
Actually the point I was trying to make was this. Regardless of whether this guy is a fucktard, it supports my criticism that there are far too many gaps with the vanilla game. I personally don't have the energy to deal with all those separate files, let alone research, download, install and test them. If that's the effort needed to make the game playable, at the cost of making it generally unstable, I say fuck that and uninstall it.

Anyway, this guy is probably a retard, but I bet most of the "hardcore" who really understand Fallout, play with 5-10 mods installed. That's enough to make it instable, and i'm speaking from personal experience. I can't bear it. Having to do the developers work for them, installing files and making sure they work, tweaking them and getting hotfixes, etc.

If I had to do the same with Men Of War to get it as good as it is now, i'd say the same. Fuck it.

/whine

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:29 am
Minor Diety

Depends on what you'd call 'fix' a game, or what you'd call 'broken'. I found New Vegas to be perfectly playable and enjoyable without any mods, apart from perhaps the font one (and I'm pretty sure I could have figured that out without mods if I had to) and the energy weapons being piss poor (but that wasn't unplayable by any means). No real bugs, great quests and world, superb writing, good voice acting nothing wrong with it. Also, they just patched it for the second time with a massive 250 mb patch, so it's not like they just went "well, here's the game, cya!".

I use mods to make the game even better or to adjust things I didn't like too much to fit my style. Or to expand the radio playlist, or to add things like a hoverboard or a deathclaw companion - stuff like that. No offense, but you seem more interested in mods making the game you have in your mind that than the one that it actually is. :) (which will definitely lead to too many mods/conflicting mods unless it's a huge total conversion, and even then)

I understand some of that sentiment when you see that modders come up with simple things that make a game SO much better or logical that the developers didn't think of (think real signposts in Morrowind), which I don't think is necessarily out of malice or negligence on the developer's part but just because...no one thought of it. After all there are many, many thousands of people playing and modding who can work on a 'finished product', instead of working towards one. It's a little like writing a 30-page college paper: no matter how many times you review the final result yourself, you'll miss some glaring errors or fail to rework the text into a better structure, simply because you've been working too close on it. Once you give it to someone else to review, they instantly see things you never realised were there/could have been done differently to much better effect.

- Coach

Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:21 am
Minor Diety

Yep. Can't disagree with you there.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:50 pm
Minor Diety

My turn to be jaded. First let me state I don't think this will be a bad game, it just won't be elder scrolls anymore :( To me at least.

Magazine article I was reading stated the following points:
- Still a level-scaled world, though less obviously than Oblivion (did they listen to any fans?)
- No more choose your class at the start (not sure if major/minor skills still exist)
- Do quests to gain experience (like every other rpg out there, bye bye original gameplay)
- Gain base stats when you level up (no more strategy in what skills to level for stat gain)
- Perks, Fallout style (could be fun but it's a different franchise, leave it in that)
- Mysticism is out, other magic schools still in (never really used it anyway but still, don't remove yet more stuff)
- Each hand does something, so you can now dual wield, sword and shield, sword and magic (could be interesting... or could be just the same as most others)

As I say, I'm sure it'll still be a good game but it's like Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age to me; the Elder Scrolls games are the only ones with that style of gameplay. Remove that and it's just another western rpg. Which means I won't bother day of release anymore, I'll wait for a cheap version/game of the year. It was the only game I was really looking forward to this year as well. Let's hope they change things/change my mind.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I can only agree. Such is the fate of quality series once they hit consoles.

Btw - Some new screenshots out today.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 am
Minor Diety

16 page special in a magazine today, it makes it sound a little better though I'm still wary. I'll post what I can remember:

Radiant AI - being upgraded, they admit it failed big time in Oblivion. Supposedly this time around all characters will actually properly have jobs, routines and relationships that will allow them to act a little more dynamically. Along with this comes the conversations which are now all live in the game instead of taking you into a little zoomed in view of the character. NPCs will literally stand around having their own conversations and you can walk up and join in at any time. It's also linked into

Radiant story - which is a way of keeping the quests and events tailored to your character. So say you drop a sword on the ground because you don't have the room anymore. Random guy A sees it and might come to pick it up. If he likes you he may offer to give it back to you. If he's neutral he may ask if he can have it. If he dislikes you he may just steal it. Should you decide to kill him because he steals it, anyone he's related to may decide to take revenge on you. To me this could be good or bad. Good if it's in the sense of "I saw Hero leave A's house the last day he was seen alive, it must have been Hero so now I must kill him!", bad if you kill A in the middle of nowhere and a relative just randomly tracks you down. Radiant story also affects

Quests - tailored to your character somewhat, so a magic user won't be given quests that reward a huge sword, or require melee combat. Not only that but if you kill a quest giver (or he accidentally dies #cough#) then the quest, instead of becoming unfinishable, will alter itself, perhaps to say give the item to his wife instead.

Skills - will remain much the same; use them to improve them. But this time around there are no major/minor choices. Merely do what you wish and level up from quest experience instead. So if you start out stealthy and end up throwing fireballs around it won't adversely affect your character growth.

Combat - as mentioned before you will now control each hand seperately, i.e. left click/shoulder button = left hand, right = right hand. So if you go sword and shield one will hit, one will block. Sword and magic will be hit and cast. You can equip two lots of different magic or even equip two lots of the same magic, which results in a more powerful version of the base spell being cast. These can be swapped in-fight as well so you can quickly change to magic to heal or whatever. Two handed weapons still exist and in these cases the left hand actions will block (or zoom with a bow). There are also finishing moves and supposedly it just feels more brutal, with swords actually cutting instead of seeming to simply smack the enemy.

Dungeons - over 120 at the moment but apparently they've tried to make them feel far more unique. Each one (as well as the normal landscape) is entirely handcrafted and will feature many more puzzles. There will be some repeating puzzles but they also hope to have quite a lot of dungeons with a unique puzzle/trap as well. Dungeons are where your level scaling still exists. Each dungeon has its own difficulty rating, for example A is easy, B is hard. Go into A when level 5 and it might be populated with imps. Leave it, and that dungeon will stay imps. However if you first go into A when you're level 10, it might be populated with goblins instead. Go into B when at level 5 and that will be populated with goblins.

Enemies - not all are hostile all the time. The example given was wolves. Wolves will have a den that they patrol around. If they're on the hunt and in a pack, they'll attack. However if they have a fresh kill they'll stay to defend the kill and only attack if you go for them first. Others however, such as trolls, will attack on sight.

I think that's about everything. If I remember any more I'll update you.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Sounds interesting. Will definitely need to see how it's implemented.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/game- ... lls/710871

Latest look of the game.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:41 am
Felix Rex

That was a pretty good trailer. That looks really cool, actually... I like when the guy slit the other dude's throat. And when the player was stalking a deer. I dunno, it just looks pretty good. Release date of 11/11/11 eh? Figures.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Shit that's a great trailer. I'm actually getting Oblivion-level excitement for this now. :P Every time I think old faithful Bethesda is starting to lose me, they crank out something that makes me go 'oooh'.

- Coach

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:10 pm
Minor Diety

That trailer looks gorgeous. And oddly enough the best thing about it? The slight remix of the old music! Think I'd be upset if they took that music out in any future games :P

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:18 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Yeah, the gorgeous graphics distract pretty well from the boring quests and shallow story beneath. Storywise Obsidian rocks, its a pity they lack in the tech department.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:13 am
Felix Rex

Oh good...another quest to kill rats... I wonder how many more of these stupid... oooh! A squirrel!

Yea, I wish for some deeper stories and quests as well, but I really enjoyed Oblivion, believe it or not. Also, some of the Oblivion quest lines were pretty awesome, like the brotherhood of assassins, and the quests for the evil gods (I forget what they're called).

Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I have to say, most of what I enjoyed about Oblivion was reliving it reading your threads at the same time. We need to do that again if we all get Skyrim.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

You know I'll get it... I'm in for some story-telling.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next